PDA

View Full Version : Spring letter

LawnBoy89
03-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Can you guys give me an example of what you send to your customers in the spring to determine whether you will continue maintaining their property for the upcoming season. Last year I only had around 30 lawns so it wasn't hard to contact each one but now that I have around 50 its hard to determine. Thanks alot guys I know I'm probably already a little late with this.

Hoss315er
03-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Send them a bill

nemow
03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Can you guys give me an example of what you send to your customers in the spring to determine whether you will continue maintaining their property for the upcoming season. Last year I only had around 30 lawns so it wasn't hard to contact each one but now that I have around 50 its hard to determine. Thanks alot guys I know I'm probably already a little late with this.

You should do a search. I started a thread on this and I came across another one yesterday. I sent out a "survey" with my services and an other box. People checked the services they would like for the year and sent it back. I also put dates on each service. I have recieved more work than last year because people see services they did not know that I provided. I wrote something like; If you would like a spring cleanup please return the survey by such and such a date to ensure a wait of less than ten days. Surveys recieved between such and such can expect to wait X days for service. This sped up the returns nicely. If you have msword 2007 I can send it to you if you want. Older msword may not work. Good luck and like I said the reason not many have replied could be the other threads on this. I dont know where you are becuase I didn't look before qouting you but hurry up and send something!!

LawnBoy89
03-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Yea thats the kinda thing I was thinking of I think it would help me I just need a general idea to go off. I have windows xp and windows vista I don't know if they are compatible with what you have but even if you copy and paste it and email it to me or even send it in a PM just to see what it says and how it is set up. Thanks alot I really appreciate it

Weekes
03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I think that even if you have 300 accounts you should go talk to each of them. This is an opportunity to up sell services for the year. I up sold at least 20 of my customers this year.

A letter will not get the lazy procrastinating customer back. As sad as it is there are many people only interested in having someone care for their lawn. These can be a decent customer that pays on time, but they do not care if you or Joe cuts there lawn. You and Joe may do the same quality of work and charge the same, but Joe knocks on their door and you send a letter. Can you say bye, bye good customer. by talking to the customer I saved probably 4 of them from going with Joe.

zz4guy
03-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I think that even if you have 300 accounts you should go talk to each of them. This is an opportunity to up sell services for the year. I up sold at least 20 of my customers this year.

A letter will not get the lazy procrastinating customer back. As sad as it is there are many people only interested in having someone care for their lawn. These can be a decent customer that pays on time, but they do not care if you or Joe cuts there lawn. You and Joe may do the same quality of work and charge the same, but Joe knocks on their door and you send a letter. Can you say bye, bye good customer. by talking to the customer I saved probably 4 of them from going with Joe.

I agree 100%. Call them!

LawnBoy89
03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
I also agree that you are 100% right...another solution that I was thinking about to this solution is giving them the option to send the letter back if they would like any additional services or call, but instead of having them call tell them you will start mowing and when and if they don't want you to come back to call instead of the other way around.

nemow
03-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Procrastinating customers are the ones you have to knock on the door and hand them yet another invoice so they will write a check right? :)

I feel what you are saying. I am an owner operator so customers talk with me onsite and know I am aproachable so my "survey" isn't as cold as it sounds. The ones I do not hear back from in the next week or two I will call. I know the ones that will forget or not bother to send it back its the same ones every year. I will put a call in and remind them when work slows down a bit. They almost come to expect it and that drives me crazy. I want to know who calls to remind them to put thier pants on in the morning.

Slcareco
03-25-2008, 06:30 PM
call 300 clients? Thats insane... send them a new proposal with a cover letter if they dont send it back than call .... screw calling 300 clients when you might only need to call 20 of them. Up sell them when your actually there.:dizzy: what landscaper has the time to call everyone? If your saying call all 300 then the guy with 500 should do the same? Yeah OK :laugh:

Weekes
03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
call 300 clients? Thats insane... send them a new proposal with a cover letter if they dont send it back than call .... screw calling 300 clients when you might only need to call 20 of them. Up sell them when your actually there.:dizzy: what landscaper has the time to call everyone? If your saying call all 300 then the guy with 500 should do the same? Yeah OK :laugh:

Hold on I did not mean call. Look I might be insane, but I believe that my clients should be talked to. I mean stop by, I stop by my clients and talk to them, at the same time I knock on a few of their neighbors. I want to know how clients expect to you to take care of them if you cannot afford a personal visit at least once a year (and what better time than the start of a new season). I see my clients throughout the year, but I make sure to visit them at the start of the year. If anyone feels they do not have time to do this then get off lawnsite and use that time, or during the final winter month, or during a rain storm. Hanging out around lawnsite will not keep a customer happy or sell any new services.

If a guy has so many clients he feels he does not have time to talk to clients, I'd suggest he hire some help. Leave the work to them for a bit and get out there and talk to you clients. NOT JUST A PHONE CALL.

I gain new clients frequently because people drop the old guy because he never talks to them. He never comes around to see how things are looking. He does not care about the client.

And to all you who do not have time to visit your clients I thank you in advance as I will hopefully soon be picking them up if they are in my area of service.

Harshman
03-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Most definately call your customers!

I had several customers that stopped service over the winter and when I called them, they almost forgot who I was. The great thing is that I have them again this year and will be adding additional services to their accounts this year.

Never, never, never let your customer forget you. Send news letters, coupons, holiday gifts, whatever, just stay in front of their face, Always!

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Well spoken Weekes i totally agree that you should keep in touch and "personal"visits for your clients.