PDA

View Full Version : need help w/ bid (16 yards of mulch)

gstros2
03-24-2008, 12:36 PM
a gentleman just called me and said he wanted me to look at his bank that needs a fresh coat of mulch installed, the hillside/bank is on a 45 degree angle he claims and takes about 16 yards of single shred mulch. With two other people working what would your bid be? I was thinking somewhere in the 1,000-1,200 range. please help. Thanks!

jsw2008
03-24-2008, 12:52 PM
That bid would be ok if it were a flat area, but I think that bid would be low if the whole thing is on a hill. The first thing you need to do is take a look and see how big the hill is and whether you have to cart the mulch to the top by hand or if you can drive the loads up there. If you don't have good access to the top, that's going to be a lot of additional labor cost.

gstros2
03-24-2008, 12:59 PM
That bid would be ok if it were a flat area, but I think that bid would be low if the whole thing is on a hill. The first thing you need to do is take a look and see how big the hill is and whether you have to cart the mulch to the top by hand or if you can drive the loads up there. If you don't have good access to the top, that's going to be a lot of additional labor cost.

I know the area the guy lives in and my guess is I will have to cart the mulch by hand, so what would be your rough estimate?

GSPHUNTER
03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
$1,800+, but it depends what you are paying for the mulch, how far you have to deliver, and the terrain you're laying it in.

Good Luck.

EA Quinn
03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Sub it to a mulch blowing company and make some money off the top......If you want to do the job, your price is in line, but I would get some more if you are doing it with a wheel barrow for degree of difficulty.

topsites
03-24-2008, 04:04 PM
You can try 1000 but that customer will likely crap his pants.

MarcSmith
03-24-2008, 04:24 PM
I second the mulch blowing. I get mulch blown for around 40 a yard and that includes the mulch.I'd apply much @ 60 a yard. so just for pushing paper i'd make 300 bucks... if you have to push a wheel barrow up a hills side. I'd just go ahead and get in 3cuft bags....much easier to put a bag on each shoulder than try to push a wheel barrow up and down a hill. a mulch blower will have it down in about 2 hours..., or you could spend all day with 2 guys.... all depend on how much you want in your pocket at the end of day. Id be happy making 300 bucks just for being a paper pusher, while working a few other jobs...Remeber work smarter, not harder...if it was a great customer or longtime customer i'd even consider throwing them bone and giving them the mulch blowing contact phone number...

Team-Green L&L
03-24-2008, 04:39 PM
16 yards of mulch, pruning all plants (if needed, and edge all beds):

$1759.84 exactly...

...as long as you have the exact same overhead as I do you'll be just fine. If your overhead is less, which I'd assume it is, you'll be over-bidding, but the customer doesn't know your costs and now he doesn't know you can't bid a mulch job either.

The only problem is...what did you learn?

How about doing the measurements and math, figuring out your own overhead, and bidding the job like you know how to. If you don't know what it costs you to be there, how can you know what to charge the customer for your time?

MOWEMJEFF
03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=gstros2;2227879]that needs a fresh coat of mulch installedQUOTE]

That sounds to me like do it yourself. Already laid beds and your just reapplying. At $60 a yard thats $960, tell him $1100 and wheel barrow it. It is a bank, most of the beds are probly right along the parking lot edges. If your getting your mulch for 20$/yd thats $640 minus 2 guys for 4 hours thats about $540 profit for 4 hours work. And if 3 guys cant spread 3-4 yards an hour into already existing beds then you need new help.

Rcgm
03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I would come in around 1650 that would include his mulch Hardwood that is. If he wants red or cypress that is more. I would edge his beds and put in Snapshot. I would hump that mulch to the top of the hill. That 45 degree hill is no hill for a mountain climber.:cool2:

RCGM
Brad

02DURAMAX
03-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Im thinking around $1700

topsites
03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
What I don't get is for regular mulch where the hell are you guys getting your mulch those prices are just outrageous...

Because my estimate comes to 720, but that's just guessing and based on my costs. I'd do it for that and wonder about these thousand-dollar and up bidders (and how the HELL they even get the customer to say YES) but like the other guy said if you don't know your costs that 720 estimate could burn you badly, too...

I don't know how steep that hill is, one guy says 45 degrees the other says a 16 grade still another says 90 percent and it's the same stupid hill it all depends who's guessing and what math they're using, now assuming they didn't say degrees when they meant percent or forgot what a grade is or any of these other confusing factors.

But assuming it's not ridiculously steep I'd dump the barrows near the top and gravity-rake them on down, if this hill is just right it could be the sweetest mulch job there ever was, but if it's wrong it could be a nightmare, who knows?

And given the choice of who's getting burnt unfortunately I don't think with the recession we can afford to go out there burning the customers either.

That's IF it even takes 16 cubic yards, I mean to tell you if I don't know how to calculate this I'm as likely to run short or way over, I don't quote prices based on customer estimations thou I do take their information into consideration.

So, we need more information.

JNyz
03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
What I don't get is for regular mulch where the hell are you guys getting your mulch those prices are just outrageous...

Because my estimate comes to 720, but that's just guessing and based on my costs. I'd do it for that and wonder about these thousand-dollar and up bidders (and how the HELL they even get the customer to say YES) but like the other guy said if you don't know your costs that 720 estimate could burn you badly, too...

I don't know how steep that hill is, one guy says 45 degrees the other says a 16 grade still another says 90 percent and it's the same stupid hill it all depends who's guessing and what math they're using, now assuming they didn't say degrees when they meant percent or forgot what a grade is or any of these other confusing factors.

But assuming it's not ridiculously steep I'd dump the barrows near the top and gravity-rake them on down, if this hill is just right it could be the sweetest mulch job there ever was, but if it's wrong it could be a nightmare, who knows?

And given the choice of who's getting burnt unfortunately I don't think with the recession we can afford to go out there burning the customers either.

That's IF it even takes 16 cubic yards, I mean to tell you if I don't know how to calculate this I'm as likely to run short or way over, I don't quote prices based on customer estimations thou I do take their information into consideration.

So, we need more information.

How much are you paying for a yard of mulch? How much are you paying to take 16 yards of mulch 5 miles?

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Here in Erie I'm paying 19 a yard for regular mulch. I would have the 16 yards delivered. Worst case on delivery is supplier would need to use two small loads because of access...$90. 16yards+installation+delivery=$1050

MarcSmith
03-25-2008, 07:53 AM
if you have truck access to the top of the hill, it could be an easy job....but if you don't have truck access to the top of the hill, that changes everything. Thats they key, Where can you get the truck? if the truck is stuck at the bottom of the hill, its not going to be fun...

JNyz
03-25-2008, 07:58 PM
You wanted to know where the thousand dollar proposals were coming from but your proposal didn't include the price of mulch. I didn't know this.

kootoomootoo
03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
If the guys wants single shred you wont be blowing it and good luck getting $100 a yard ...unless its a manhatten rooftop. Like topsites said ....800 -1000 max.

ps..... its a bank.