PDA

View Full Version : How hard is the license test, in your state?

spray_man
03-24-2008, 03:22 PM
A friend of mine just took both test and failed (Florida). I think because he took both at the same time (too much to learn). I am curious: In Florida there are 200 questions in pest control and the same in Lawn and Ornamental. They take the questions from about two textbooks each. When I took my test there where about 240 questions in each. you have to pass with a 75%.

How many questions in your state? How many books? What is the passing percentage?

Ric
03-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Spray Man

Florida has the hardest test in the nation followed by NY and Calf. Pass rate for the Florida test is less than 50% and most people testing are sitting for it for at least the second if not 4th or 5th time. I tested when Dr Sung wrote the tests. Most questions had at least 2 if not 4 correct answers, But which Answer was more correct was the trick. Many States sell the license at the local drug store, or so it seem from the question ask on the Internet.

Lawn_Enforcement
03-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Kentucky ...... only has 50 questions for an applicator, and 75 questions for an operator. They just eliminated about 75 - 100 questions have no idea why. Just said the ag department found it useless pretty much but very simple test.

Whitey4
03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
NY has two tests, 50 questions on the CORE and 50 for Turf and Ornamentals. The pass rate is about 50% state-wide. That includes people taking it for a second and third time. If you fail twice, you have to take another 8 hour course before you can take it again.

Is it hard? Not if you study. I took a 30 hour course, put in about maybe 60 hours of study time and got two 90's. But, I would definitely not say it's easy. FL is supposed to be the toughest. I could have passed with maybe 30 hours of study, but wanted to be certain I would pass it. If I just took the corse, and then the test, I probably would have gotten around 60%, as a guess. 70% is passing. Half the questions aren't difficult.... but the other half of them are.

turf hokie
03-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Connecticut is pretty tough to. Written and verbal testing. Have not taken it yet but I may have to this winter.

quipit
03-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Connecticut is pretty tough to. Written and verbal testing. Have not taken it yet but I may have to this winter.

slide identification as well.

Last I heard CT was about a 30% pass rate...key to the whole thing is studying, whats the problem?

gregory
03-24-2008, 10:08 PM
i am sure its pretty tuff.. i would like to take it just so i can buy rup products like atrazine..but you have to have field time also don't you ric? working for some one in the buiness

grapeford
03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
I've had a license since 93, and let it lapse. Like a moron I continued to apply for approx. 35 of my properties. Got pulled over this summer and was read the riot act. Took the test this winter, 150 questions, needed a 87 to pass. I actually used the study material from "93" and scored a 92. I was the first one out, and thought i bombed it. I was talking with kids who work for pest control companies who had taken it twice, and flunked. They were saying, if they flunk one more time, they'd lose their jobs. If you have your license, keep up the hours, I've learned it the hard way.

tremor
03-25-2008, 12:54 AM
CT is MUCH harder than NY. I just took the CT 3A Supervisory & Arborist again having not kept enought recert credits for either. ($500 down the tubes) I'm embarassed to have passed the Arborist test by only 2 points. That's the same margin as 1988. Yikes!
I did slam the 3A though.

CA is supposed to be worse but never took it so not sure. CO is also rumored to be tough.

Atlantic Lawn
03-25-2008, 08:36 AM
NC isn't all that tough at all. A lot of common sense questions.

spray_man
03-25-2008, 08:45 AM
What about prep. courses. What did you all pay? I think I payed about $125 for pest control in 92'. The lawn and ornamental prep. was the same.

Frank Fescue
03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
in rhode island all you need to do is find someone with a license and photocopy it.

heybruck34
03-25-2008, 09:29 AM
You're going to get a lot of varied answers- like anything preparation is key.

I agree with Atlantic- NC was pretty easy but I knew my stuff. Passed on the first try with little studying.

After it was over I heard people talking about how hard it was and I was amazed. They had trouble with AI rates per 1000 sq feet and calculating %'s and sq footages. Clearly a lack of planning but to them, it was hard. It's not like calculating the sq. footage of an L shaped box is difficult- they just didn't prepare.

sedge
03-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Oklahoma, 200 questions on the core i think, scored a 94. Just read it in bed each night for a few weeks before the test.

1MajorTom
03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Spray Man

Florida has the hardest test in the nation followed by NY and Calf. Pass rate for the Florida test is less than 50% and most people testing are sitting for it for at least the second if not 4th or 5th time. I tested when Dr Sung wrote the tests. Most questions had at least 2 if not 4 correct answers, But which Answer was more correct was the trick. Many States sell the license at the local drug store, or so it seem from the question ask on the Internet.
May I see a link that shows these statistics as I would be interested in seeing state ranking from hardest to easiest? Did it ever occur to you that some states may breed people less intelligent than other states?
What agency says these are the hardest tests?
Could it not be factored in that it may just have something to do with the individual sitting for the test?
Some people can memorize loads of information easily, and have an ability to comprehend quickly. Others may have to really work at memorizing facts.
It's all in the individual.

As for the PA core and turf, I studied over the weekend, and passed on Monday.
There were people there I had talked to that were sitting for their 2nd and 3rd time. :hammerhead:

topsites
03-25-2008, 12:05 PM
The test in and of itself is a bit like the DMV driving test, all multiple choice some are very obvious there are a few tricky ones but then there are the technical garbage at least in my case that will kick yo' butt and yes because I thought it would be easy I have failed the driver's license test before!

And I've been driving for 20+ years and have a spotless driving record so don't you think I know what I'm doing?
Right, so then why did I fail the test?

It is much of the same, you get this question of how many of this thing you need to do that and the choices are: a) 400 b) 34 c) 35 d) 36, and in my book 34-36 is good enough any of those will do but on the test itself you have to know the right answer or it is a fail.

You know it is like drinking and driving wow what a concept the simple answer is don't drink and drive bac .00 always 100% sober blam you have no problems... But on the test they want to know what is the LEGAL BAC and you have to know this stupid answer because "just don't do it" isn't good enough, for me it is, but for the answer it will not do and that choice does not exist for an answer.

So, study up and study up good or you might fail this teh test,
probably the best advise you might get from me this year :laugh:

Peace out and good luck

spray_man
03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Nobody has talked about how many books they had to read for the test. I think this has a lot to do with how hard the test is. I did a little research:

For the Florida pest control test that was given in early March this is the list of books to read:

1. Applying Pesticides Correctly (240 pages)
2. General Household Pest Control (256 pages)
3. Pests In And Around The Home (359 pages)
4. Imported fire ants on lawns and turf (12 pages)
5. Pest management practices for protection of water resources in Florida ( 63 pages)
6. Chapter 482 - Florida Pest Control Law (34 pages)
7. Chapter 5E-14 - Florida Pest Control Regulations (27 pages)

Try to memorize these in a couple of months.

Lawn_Enforcement
03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
In Kentucky .....

You have to read a 96 page CORE book which is "Applying Pesticides" correctly i think ...... then you have a to read a 26 page category specific book which is very easy reading mostly pictures.....Like I said earlier in a post Kentucky did away with the core test so you only have to take a test worth 75 for operators and 50 for applicators... used to it was 175 to 150.... Overall the test was a joke common sense things ... another thing is pricing, in Ky its 25 dollars...

humble1
03-25-2008, 10:26 PM
I hate it when they throw in the none of the above, or all of the above, i also hate things open to inturpritation. When I took my haz mat cdl they had a question something along the lines of " your in a MVA you notice that a hazardous material container is leaking" what do you do? They wanted the answer open container and determine what is leaking. I didnt pick it, I chalanged it with the state dot enforcement. Im on a fire dept and i can tell you that scene safety is me, my crew, noone goes into a haz mat scene without ppe on. I read into it too much he said, he had another fire fighter question it on the same grounds.

Whitey4
03-25-2008, 10:53 PM
May I see a link that shows these statistics as I would be interested in seeing state ranking from hardest to easiest? Did it ever occur to you that some states may breed people less intelligent than other states?
What agency says these are the hardest tests?
Could it not be factored in that it may just have something to do with the individual sitting for the test?
Some people can memorize loads of information easily, and have an ability to comprehend quickly. Others may have to really work at memorizing facts.

There were people there I had talked to that were sitting for their 2nd and 3rd time. :hammerhead:

That would be because there aren't any statistics. From reading this board, which states are easy and which are more difficult begins to clarify it. In some states, you can take the test EVERY single day until you pass. Only Connecticut has slides that require the testee to identify insects and diseases. They also have an oral exam. That is MUCH more difficult than the "take the test everyday" states.

In NY, the Core isn't hard, but the category exam is. My favorite question was how many generations does the birch leaf miner produce each year? PA and NY use the same CORE manual, but the tests are different. Same CORE manual in Connecticut. MA too.

To say that people in some states might be more stupid than others.... yer kiddin, right? I think the pass/fail rate is a pretty good indicator of difficulty. NY is around 50%, Florida is lower, and so is Connecticut. I think PA was aorund 80%. Iowa is like 95%. In NY, if you fail, you wait 30 days to retest. Fail again,and you wait 90 days, and have to take an 8 hour course. Fail again, come back next year.

It's obvious.... some states let you pass if you can hit the urinal with one hand. In others, you have to study.

grapeford
03-25-2008, 11:04 PM
I think paying for the prep course is worth it. They give you study questions that are on the test. *This is Mass.

1MajorTom
03-25-2008, 11:36 PM
That would be because there aren't any statistics. From reading this board, which states are easy and which are more difficult begins to clarify it. In some states, you can take the test EVERY single day until you pass. Only Connecticut has slides that require the testee to identify insects and diseases. They also have an oral exam. That is MUCH more difficult than the "take the test everyday" states.

In NY, the Core isn't hard, but the category exam is. My favorite question was how many generations does the birch leaf miner produce each year? PA and NY use the same CORE manual, but the tests are different. Same CORE manual in Connecticut. MA too.

To say that people in some states might be more stupid than others.... yer kiddin, right? I think the pass/fail rate is a pretty good indicator of difficulty. NY is around 50%, Florida is lower, and so is Connecticut. I think PA was aorund 80%. Iowa is like 95%. In NY, if you fail, you wait 30 days to retest. Fail again,and you wait 90 days, and have to take an 8 hour course. Fail again, come back next year.

It's obvious.... some states let you pass if you can hit the urinal with one hand. In others, you have to study.

Once again, I'll ask. Where are these statistics of these percentages coming from?
I would like to see a link that shows me the pass/fail rate per state since these percentages are being thrown around. In your first sentence you say there are no statistics, but then you know the percentages of the pass/fail rates. Are you basing those numbers on what people post here as to their own personal experience with taking the test? I don't get it.

Hissing Cobra
03-26-2008, 12:31 AM
I've taken the Massachusetts test three times and passed it all three times. Why three times, you may ask? I took it in 2001 for my General Applicator's License and passed. Then in 2003, I took it again to become Certified in Trees and Shrubs and passed that. In 2006, I took and passed it to become a Dealer.

I also took the Rhode Island test back in 2002 and passed that as well. I've since let that license expire because I no longer have a need for it.

All in all, none of them were really hard but like any test of magnitude, the nervous jitters never stop until your results have been given. It all comes down to the studying. If you take the time to read and have someone quiz you on a regular basis, you should pass with no problems. It's a multiple choice test with 125 questions. Don't let the multiple choice part fool you! On some questions, you'll have four answers to choose from. One of them you can throw out the window, the 2nd one you'll think about and then throw it out, and then you'll be left with two choices. Out of those two, they BOTH could be the answer. You have to choose the one that makes the most logical sense or is the most important answer.

The part I had the most trouble with, dealt with the LABEL. Halfway through the test, I came upon four or five questions in a row where I couldn't figure out the answers at all. I filled out what I though was the answers but didn't feel comfortable with ANY of them. I made little stars next to them so that I could review them at the end of the test. I then turned the page and there was a label. I then read the label and it all became clear. THOSE QUESTIONS ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE, dealt with the Label! I erased my answers and then chose the correct ones, based on the label on the following page.

I've often wondered how many people got those questions wrong because they couldn't figure out that they pertained to the label on the following page. I think that the Pesticide Bureau is testing us not only on what we know, but on how we can figure things out on our own as well.

Ric
03-26-2008, 12:24 PM
May I see a link that shows these statistics as I would be interested in seeing state ranking from hardest to easiest? Did it ever occur to you that some states may breed people less intelligent than other states?What agency says these are the hardest tests?

OMB

Sure I have. While there are a few states known for Telephone pole family trees, let us not go there. This industry already attracts illiterate individuals such as non English speaking, because they can survive in this industry without an education. I would like to blame testing levels of different states on insect pressure and welfare politics.

As for any statistics on state tests, I can't remember ever seeing such a study. However Florida requires 3 years working for a Certified & Licensed company or a college education and one year working for a certified & license company to even sit for the test. Even with those requirement, there is still a less than 50% passing rate. Each category test is 200 questions and as stated before the multiply choice answers may all be correct, Which answer is more correct is what makes Florida tests so hard. BTW Florida Aquatic, road & rideaway and a few other certifications are idiot type tests that any one can pass.

1MajorTom
03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
OMB

Sure I have. While there are a few states known for Telephone pole family trees, let us not go there. This industry already attracts illiterate individuals such as non English speaking, because they can survive in this industry without an education. I would like to blame testing levels of different states on insect pressure and welfare politics.

As for any statistics on state tests, I can't remember ever seeing such a study. However Florida requires 3 years working for a Certified & Licensed company or a college education and one year working for a certified & license company to even sit for the test. Even with those requirement, there is still a less than 50% passing rate. Each category test is 200 questions and as stated before the multiply choice answers may all be correct, Which answer is more correct is what makes Florida tests so hard. BTW Florida Aquatic, road & rideaway and a few other certifications are idiot type tests that any one can pass.
So back to your first post, you based your answer of the 3 hardest tests on your opinion. thank you.
And while I do agree that the state of Florida makes it difficult for a green industry professional to obtain a license, I can not agree the ACTUAL TEST is hard unless I would take it.
Did the state of Florida tell you the pass/fail rate? Or do you sit outside the testing room asking each applicant after they are done, "hey,do you think you passed or failed?"
To wrap this up, I conclude there is no such thing as a hard test, anything can be studied and memorized.

Ric
03-26-2008, 02:31 PM
OMB

Trying to argue with a moderator is a lose lose situation. I have been told by my college professors and others in the industry, Florida Certification testing is the hardest in the nation. I have taken the certification tests in Florida and can guarantee they are not easy.

The Past-Fail ratio is public information and all universities and CEU education providers have excess to that information. The pass fail is broken down according to education or experience qualification for sitting for the test. Those with college educations have a much higher pass rate as would be expected.

BTW It took me a little more than one week end of study to pass on the first try. But then this is Florida and not the Commonwealth of Penna. I am told by your old buddy Lawrence Stone, the Penna test is (In His Humble Opinion) a Joke. He claims the Commonwealth of Penna is only interested in Applicators having Insurance and paying their licensing fees. But then you might of confirmed his statement by admitting you only studied for one week end in order to pass.

PS A fact of Life is Certification and Job performance are not necessarily related. We all have seen educated idiots and uneducated genius. I had an employee who forgot more about irrigation than 20 year techs knew, yet he couldn't pass the irrigation test.

Ric
03-26-2008, 02:46 PM
OMB

BTW I had a college PhD professor who took the L&O certification test and failed. He scored very high on the L&O but failed the core part which had Florida Law which he didn't study. He never re-tested. This is the same guy who I have on speed dial as my main "go to guy".

1MajorTom
03-26-2008, 06:21 PM
OMB

BTW I had a college PhD professor who took the L&O certification test and failed. He scored very high on the L&O but failed the core part which had Florida Law which he didn't study. He never re-tested. This is the same guy who I have on speed dial as my main "go to guy".
poor guy..;)

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Just a note about PA...the Core test is closed book, but the turf and ornamental tests are open book. If you never took the time to read the study material you would never be able to answer all the questions in the time they give you, even with the open book!

1MajorTom
03-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Just a note about PA...the Core test is closed book, but the turf and ornamental tests are open book. If you never took the time to read the study material you would never be able to answer all the questions in the time they give you, even with the open book!
You are exactly right on that one. Saying it's open book is misleading, because you are screwed if you didn't study that book. Just not enough time to find the answers otherwise.

BocaChris
03-26-2008, 10:01 PM
I take the Ornamental and Turf exam tomorrow in FL, guess i'll find out how hard it really is

Whitey4
03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Once again, I'll ask. Where are these statistics of these percentages coming from?
I would like to see a link that shows me the pass/fail rate per state since these percentages are being thrown around. In your first sentence you say there are no statistics, but then you know the percentages of the pass/fail rates. Are you basing those numbers on what people post here as to their own personal experience with taking the test? I don't get it.

Like I said, spending some time in this forum gives one a gut feel for how hard the etsing is in various states, and I've seen people post their states pass/fail % here.... where did they get that info? Maybe the same way I got mine for NYS. Pat Voges, who has a credit in the NYS category manual, who taught my 30 hour course, and is the single most connected-powerful guy who represents the landscape indistry in NYS (he is the guy who runs the NSLGA, a local LCO assoc with 1700 members, and knows people like H Clinton and C Schumer on a first name basis) said the rate was about 50% in NY. Good enough for me, if not for anyone else.

I don't particularly care about any of this one way or the other, as long as I passed and got certified. There is no doubt that some states are very stringent, and others are not. If you can't understand that, you are in a vacuum. You want to believe whatever you want to.... people in some states are born stupid, whatever. Frakly, you are starting to sound like you might be from one of those "stupid states".

Ric
03-26-2008, 10:59 PM
I take the Ornamental and Turf exam tomorrow in FL, guess i'll find out how hard it really is

Boca Chris

You must work for Statewide on the Island???? I moved off Island back in 1996. I haven't been back on the Island in about 5 years. Last time I was on the Island I didn't recognize it. A lot has changed.

If you went to Palmer and did what he told you, you will do fine.

BocaChris
03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
No, I work for Boca Bay. "Gated Community" I suppose you would say. Island changes every day it seems

Ric
03-26-2008, 11:13 PM
No, I work for Boca Bay. "Gated Community" I suppose you would say. Island changes every day it seems

Chris

I remember when Boca Bay was the railroad yard. CSX had a small fishing camp just north of the Phosate docks and the laughs A Lot was the place to be drinking.

I could go back to first trip to the Island when the Ferry arrived at 37st street. No I am a "Off Islander" but lived there from 1993 to 1996.

1MajorTom
03-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Like I said, spending some time in this forum gives one a gut feel for how hard the etsing is in various states, and I've seen people post their states pass/fail % here.... where did they get that info? Maybe the same way I got mine for NYS. Pat Voges, who has a credit in the NYS category manual, who taught my 30 hour course, and is the single most connected-powerful guy who represents the landscape indistry in NYS (he is the guy who runs the NSLGA, a local LCO assoc with 1700 members, and knows people like H Clinton and C Schumer on a first name basis) said the rate was about 50% in NY. Good enough for me, if not for anyone else.

I don't particularly care about any of this one way or the other, as long as I passed and got certified. There is no doubt that some states are very stringent, and others are not. If you can't understand that, you are in a vacuum. You want to believe whatever you want to.... people in some states are born stupid, whatever. Frakly, you are starting to sound like you might be from one of those "stupid states".
Nothing stupid at all about asking where you got your numbers from. Your percentage of 80% for PA is based off of whenever you came across a thread about PA testing, you made mental notes for a later date so you could form a percentage for the whole state. Hey that's fine by me. I was just genuinely interested in this thread simply because I'm a numbers kind of person. I was curious to find out if there was truly a statistical way to see how the states ranked up with the pass/fail rate as I thought it would be interesting to read.

humble1
03-27-2008, 01:30 AM
I've taken the Massachusetts test three times and passed it all three times. Why three times, you may ask? I took it in 2001 for my General Applicator's License and passed. Then in 2003, I took it again to become Certified in Trees and Shrubs and passed that. In 2006, I took and passed it to become a Dealer.

I also took the Rhode Island test back in 2002 and passed that as well. I've since let that license expire because I no longer have a need for it.

All in all, none of them were really hard but like any test of magnitude, the nervous jitters never stop until your results have been given. It all comes down to the studying. If you take the time to read and have someone quiz you on a regular basis, you should pass with no problems. It's a multiple choice test with 125 questions. Don't let the multiple choice part fool you! On some questions, you'll have four answers to choose from. One of them you can throw out the window, the 2nd one you'll think about and then throw it out, and then you'll be left with two choices. Out of those two, they BOTH could be the answer. You have to choose the one that makes the most logical sense or is the most important answer.

The part I had the most trouble with, dealt with the LABEL. Halfway through the test, I came upon four or five questions in a row where I couldn't figure out the answers at all. I filled out what I though was the answers but didn't feel comfortable with ANY of them. I made little stars next to them so that I could review them at the end of the test. I then turned the page and there was a label. I then read the label and it all became clear. THOSE QUESTIONS ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE, dealt with the Label! I erased my answers and then chose the correct ones, based on the label on the following page.

I've often wondered how many people got those questions wrong because they couldn't figure out that they pertained to the label on the following page. I think that the Pesticide Bureau is testing us not only on what we know, but on how we can figure things out on our own as well.

Now they actually point out in advance that the label on page X is for questions X thru X. Was it the one asking about usage around food prep areas etc.

ford1212
03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Nebraska has 60 questions in general studies and 60 questions in ornamental and turf. The test isn't easy but if you study prior to the class it's not to bad. There's like a 50% pass rate here.
Adam

Hissing Cobra
03-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Now they actually point out in advance that the label on page X is for questions X thru X. Was it the one asking about usage around food prep areas etc.

I can't really remember if the questions pertained to usage around food prep areas or not. It's been awhile since I took it.

BocaChris
03-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Alright I took the Ornamental and Turf exam and Core exam in Fl today, 50 questions in each, if you read the books its cake. took me 25 mins for the core and about 45 mins for the O&T portion. Guess it just depends if you study or not

Ric
03-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Alright I took the Ornamental and Turf exam and Core exam in Fl today, 50 questions in each, if you read the books its cake. took me 25 mins for the core and about 45 mins for the O&T portion. Guess it just depends if you study or not

Chris

You didn't take the Commercial CPO test, you took the Private CPO test. This should allow you to do all of Boca Bay's work but no other properties unless owned by them. The commercial CPO test is 200 question and both core and L&O are on one 4 hour test. The commercial CPO test is only given in Winter Haven, Florida. I am not sure where the Private test is given, but I believe at the county extension office in each county. There is no requirements for taking the Private Applicators test like the Commercial CPO. 3 years working under a CPO and or one year working under CPO and a college degree in horticulture or entomology.

BTW Florida has many different certifications for pesticide application. Fact is there are actually two different divisions under the Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs that license pesticide application. The Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control and the Bureau of Compliance. With my BEPC Commercial L&O I can not legally spray parking lot for weeds, I must have a Road & Ride-away certification from the Bureau of Compliance to be 100% legal. As a CEU Provider for the BEPC, My CEU classes are not accepted by the Bureau of Compliance.

HEY I don't make the laws, only try to live by them so don't kill the messenger

BocaChris
03-28-2008, 06:02 PM
No, I took the test for Commercial RUP. Boca Bay went through lawyers and the state to figure it all out cause it is all owned by the residents not just one person owns the property or some BS like that would have to ask them. They told me what I needed so thats what I do :)

Ric
03-28-2008, 09:11 PM
No, I took the test for Commercial RUP. Boca Bay went through lawyers and the state to figure it all out cause it is all owned by the residents not just one person owns the property or some BS like that would have to ask them. They told me what I needed so thats what I do :)

Chris

Congratulations on taking the test. Hopefully you passed it. Now let me educate you as to what Certification you have tested for. It is call a Private Applicator. You can work for homeowner association and apply RUP as an Employee of that Homeowner association. You can not legally apply to any other property other than those owned or under the control of your full time employer who is the Boca Bay Group. The private certification can not qualify you for any type of pesticide license nor does it count toward a commercial certification. Sorry

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/aes/pestapp.html

BTW I know Kitty Green CEO of Boca Bay. Boca Bay's lawyers have more important things to do than make deals with the state so you can get certified. The private certification is a common thing among larger properties where in house maintenance is done.

aoneill2020
03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
GA here.

I am gearing up to take both the commerical Core and Ornamentals & Turf tests in April, so far my approach has been to read, read, read. I just got out of college 2 years back so I am somewhat still accustomed to studying. The core study material feels like a lot of the same - straight forward, common sense questions.

Any study tips from folks who have taken the GA commercial test?

Ric
03-25-2009, 11:10 AM
aoneill2020

I am truly sorry you bumped this year old thread because I have to comment on it.

It is a sad state of affairs when a Man sits for a certification test and doesn't know what that certification is for, And he passes the test!!! I don't mean to point out Boca Chris personally because he is typical of many in this industry. I am not sure whether to Laugh or Cry at this.

aoneill2020
03-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't understand your reply? I am assuming it is aimed at someone else. I know full well what I am studying for. Thanks for the reply

Ric
03-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't understand your reply? I am assuming it is aimed at someone else. I know full well what I am studying for. Thanks for the reply

aoneill2020

Read my post # 43 the last post a year ago before you bumped this thread.

aoneill2020
03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
i see, got it!

a plus bob
03-25-2009, 10:37 PM
The guy I used to work for 9 yrs.had to take it 4 times in Indiana we used to go buy and look at service call then he would go back and meet them later to discuss what (he found)?

JPsDuramax
03-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Georgia's test is not too difficult. The first time I took it I passed the CORE and failed the Turf and Ornamental by 2 points. The kicker is I pretty much went in cold, only using the information I had gathered from other applicators and common sense. The second time I had studied the areas that I had missed and passed easily. It just depends on how well you take a test.

Trust me though, its easier to study and do it once. Of course you could cram right before the test...if your only 2 years out of college you should remember how to do that.:laugh:

Good luck to you

marvinlee
04-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I've taken the Oregon Private Applicator's Test three times now, and passed all three. It seems like a darn tough test when I compare it with my recollections of college and military service tests. Part of the problem is that Oregon offers only one general purpose study manual, and it provides study material for all of the various categories of tests. One does not know in advance what materials will be tested for, and to what degree. The state tells weighting, but my experience has been that the weighting advertised is different than how the test is actually written.

spray_man
04-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi Marvin,

The state tells weighting, but my experience has been that the weighting advertised is different than how the test is actually written.

I am dumb, what is "weighting"; Also how far apart did you take the tests?
Just curious.

humble1
04-11-2009, 08:52 AM
MA is pretty hard, they have a lot of questions ranging from how far from a right away must you be when crop dusting via airplane, to termite questions, how far from private, public wells when doing right away vegetation control. One that sticks out in my mind is- What is the long feathery like antenae of a mosquito called? The answer who cares, If you are drawing breath on this planet you know what a mosquito looks like.

kenny s
04-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I live in NJ and I would like to get my certification and Applicator license. How do I go about this and what is involved. Can I take the courses online and the tests as well, or do I have to go all the way to Rutgers University to do this? Does anyone from NJ have experience with this and it's cost and time to complete the course? Thank you.
kenny s

spray_man
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Kenny, Try here:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo-appcom.htm

upidstay
04-23-2009, 01:55 PM
From what I've seen and heard, ours is CT is about as hard as they get. Roughly a 75% failure rate. There's a 2 section written, part on regs and safety, the rest on general knowledge. By general, I mean you have to know every type of grasss, shrub, ornamental, etc., plus the diseases and insect issues they may face, and how to treat them. I know a pretty smart guy who went to UMAss with a 4 year turf science degree who failed it the first time. The questions are multiple choice, multiple answer. There is also about a dozen slides you must identify. These could be anything. You must pass both parts of the test, then you take the oral exam. You sit in front of 3 DEP employees who pretty much grill you on anything and everything regarding pesticide uses in your chosen field.
There are I believe 12 different license categories. I have my 3a, Turf and Ornamental. (passed it my first try. yay me)There are 4 sub categories for Pest Control, there's a Golf Course management license, an arborists license, Right of Way, Aquatic, plus several others I can;t name.

kenny s
04-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Sprayman,
Thank you very much for the info. I went to the site and read it. I will look into it. The on the job training part is going to difficult because I do ot work for somebody with a license, but I read you an be excempt from that if you take the courses. Thank you again, I appreciate your help.
kenny s

tremor
04-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Spray Man

CT is supposedly harder. I know that NY is a cakewalk by comparison.

Whitey4
04-23-2009, 08:22 PM
CT is supposedly harder. I know that NY is a cakewalk by comparison.

NY isn't a cakewalk, but CT is clearly a more difficult test. I am a good test taker. I took a 30 hour course, put in about 60 hours of study and got 90's for NY. I've been told the fail rate in NY is around 50%.

spray_man
04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
What's the going rate for prep. courses. In Florida, there is one for $270, and another for $320.

Think Green
04-24-2009, 10:24 AM
In Arkansas, back when I took mine, wasn't pretty had if you have had some sort of background information. I mean, it is not likely that a person off the street that has done brick work will go in and take the exam. An fee is paid in accordance with the acceptance application. They want to know who,what,where,when, and why you want to be certified. If you are new and wanting to get into spraying, the state will not consider you unless you have worked for someone before or have had some sort of collegiate or outside experience such as OJT or classroom time.
Most licenses around here are given to fly-boys, golf course super's, their employees, a certain select of LCO's whom have the time to study for the Core and EPA portions. If I can remember correctly, the EPA side was basic--common sense knowledge of handling, disposal, and PPE according to state regulations. The questions are tricky and do mislead the questionnaire. The Core exam is ever more loaded with questions that are meant to devour your braincells with misleading--rhetoric and off the top questions that were not on the study material (Supplied by the U of A). There was alot of background knowledge from out sources that you needed to have from field experience!
I believe that both exams were 100 questions each and a separate part with 6 math questions: one for calculating dry powders--one for calculating acreage machinery--one for nurse tanks,etc. The exam is geared for the farmer, and if you have had no experience with farming, then it can be confusing. It took me 2 times to pass the weed control portion because of the misleading math conversion questions. The insect control and fungicide section was another 200 questions of basic, background knowledge, and handling procedures under the FIFRA guidelines. There was little, if at all, pressure to read labels, except for knowing what the skull and cross bones meant..LOL! No--You had to know certain key words and areas to look for vital information before you applied any chemical. The rest is waiting for 2 months to see if you pass, then another 2-3 weeks for your acceptance. Then you have to either prorate the costs for the year or wait until the next physical date rolls around. Oh----You cannot go out and apply anything commercially until you have the card in hand and the wall plaque to display!!!!
Anyone under the licensed operator has to go through classroom training ( prepared by the license holder) and perform 40 or more hours on-the-job training. An agent's license can be obtained under the same guidelines as stated above.

Then again!-----Why do we go out and do all this stuff when the products we spray are sometimes converted over to the R.U.P. and everyone can use it???? LOL!

tremor
04-24-2009, 04:43 PM
NY isn't a cakewalk, but CT is clearly a more difficult test. I am a good test taker. I took a 30 hour course, put in about 60 hours of study and got 90's for NY. I've been told the fail rate in NY is around 50%.

Personally I think NY is too easy. It's about the same as the CT applicator test. I used to a teach CT/Supervisory pre-test primer course. I don't keep my trade show credits. I retest here in CT every 5 years to save time (It used to be cheaper to retest but no longer).

spray_man
04-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I guess one way to qualify how hard a test is, might be, is to look at: 1) How much material is used as reference. 2) How many questions and 3) What type of questions. I think multiple choice would be the easiest, followed, by written answers, than interview questions. I will put in my 2 cents by giving you those figures for the Florida Lawn and Ornamental exam:

Reference material for the Lawn and ornamental exam

1) The Structural Pest Control Act / Florida Statutes: 33 pages
2) Rules of the Department / Florida Administrative Code: 27 pages
3) Applying Pesticides Correctly - A Guide for Pesticide Applicators: 229 pages
4) A label from a commonly used chemical - Always Heritage TL: 4.5 pages
5) Ornamental and Turfgrass Pest Management: 340 pages
6) Florida Lawn Handbook Ė 3rd Edition: 167 pages
7) Imported Fire Ants on Lawns and Turf, Fact Sheet: 46 pages
8) Pictures that may have to be identified: 106
Note: I think 16 to 24 questions are based on picture Identification.

Total of 952.5 pages to read / memorize? And 106 pictures

200 or 250 multiple choice questions, somebody help me with this one I donít remember.

spray_man
04-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I forgot:

Best Management Practices for Protection of Water Resources in Florida: 50 pages

JFF
05-16-2009, 05:35 PM
In Arkansas, back when I took mine, wasn't pretty had if you have had some sort of background information. I mean, it is not likely that a person off the street that has done brick work will go in and take the exam. An fee is paid in accordance with the acceptance application. They want to know who,what,where,when, and why you want to be certified. If you are new and wanting to get into spraying, the state will not consider you unless you have worked for someone before or have had some sort of collegiate or outside experience such as OJT or classroom time.
Most licenses around here are given to fly-boys, golf course super's, their employees, a certain select of LCO's whom have the time to study for the Core and EPA portions. If I can remember correctly, the EPA side was basic--common sense knowledge of handling, disposal, and PPE according to state regulations. The questions are tricky and do mislead the questionnaire. The Core exam is ever more loaded with questions that are meant to devour your braincells with misleading--rhetoric and off the top questions that were not on the study material (Supplied by the U of A). There was alot of background knowledge from out sources that you needed to have from field experience!
I believe that both exams were 100 questions each and a separate part with 6 math questions: one for calculating dry powders--one for calculating acreage machinery--one for nurse tanks,etc. The exam is geared for the farmer, and if you have had no experience with farming, then it can be confusing. It took me 2 times to pass the weed control portion because of the misleading math conversion questions. The insect control and fungicide section was another 200 questions of basic, background knowledge, and handling procedures under the FIFRA guidelines. There was little, if at all, pressure to read labels, except for knowing what the skull and cross bones meant..LOL! No--You had to know certain key words and areas to look for vital information before you applied any chemical. The rest is waiting for 2 months to see if you pass, then another 2-3 weeks for your acceptance. Then you have to either prorate the costs for the year or wait until the next physical date rolls around. Oh----You cannot go out and apply anything commercially until you have the card in hand and the wall plaque to display!!!!
Anyone under the licensed operator has to go through classroom training ( prepared by the license holder) and perform 40 or more hours on-the-job training. An agent's license can be obtained under the same guidelines as stated above.

Then again!-----Why do we go out and do all this stuff when the products we spray are sometimes converted over to the R.U.P. and everyone can use it???? LOL!

Great breakdown, TG.

I did weed control and fertilization for an LCO in Little Rock for 7 years, then got out of the industry for a while. My original license was issued based on my work experience and "classroom" study. I was never required to test. I spent a few applications working as an assistant to the head of the weed control division, then ran a route for 7 years.

Fast forward ahead, I returned to lawn maintenance, and decided the lack of ability to spray weeds and fertilize was too frustrating, so I decided to get licensed to do so. I signed up (and paid) to take the EPA, class 4, and class 5 exams, all on the same day. Which would have been fine had I studied.

But I didn't. I told myself that just performing the work well for all those years should be enough to get me through. Alas, it was not. The first time around, I passed the EPA "core"exam, and failed class 4 and 5.:hammerhead:

After waiting the required period for taking the test again (and studying the provided materials) I signed up for class 5 and passed. I still need to take the class 4 license again later this year. I will study this time, not rely on divine intervention to provide me with the answers.

The class 5 exam was 50 multiple choice questions, some of which used tricky language obviously intended to confuse applicants. I was annoyed by this tactic.

As of now, I still do not have my license. Why? the plant board doesn't prorate license fees anymore and the license runs from July 1 to July 1. So I would pay $150 bucks for a little over a month, then pay it again July 1 for a full year. Nope. I will just suffer another month.

Ric
05-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I guess one way to qualify how hard a test is, might be, is to look at: 1) How much material is used as reference. 2) How many questions and 3) What type of questions. I think multiple choice would be the easiest, followed, by written answers, than interview questions. I will put in my 2 cents by giving you those figures for the Florida Lawn and Ornamental exam:

Reference material for the Lawn and ornamental exam

1) The Structural Pest Control Act / Florida Statutes: 33 pages
2) Rules of the Department / Florida Administrative Code: 27 pages
3) Applying Pesticides Correctly - A Guide for Pesticide Applicators: 229 pages
4) A label from a commonly used chemical - Always Heritage TL: 4.5 pages
5) Ornamental and Turfgrass Pest Management: 340 pages
6) Florida Lawn Handbook Ė 3rd Edition: 167 pages
7) Imported Fire Ants on Lawns and Turf, Fact Sheet: 46 pages
8) Pictures that may have to be identified: 106
Note: I think 16 to 24 questions are based on picture Identification.

Total of 952.5 pages to read / memorize? And 106 pictures

200 or 250 multiple choice questions, somebody help me with this one I donít remember.

spray_man

200 questions, but Don't forget there are At least 400 correct answers for those 200 questions. Which answer is ""more correct"" is what makes the test a real bear. BTW Thanks for the page number Totals and some of those pages have real small print with no pictures. I always said you have to read your butt off to past the Test, but I never counted the pages. I feel anyone who passes the Fla. CPO has bragging rights.

spray_man
05-31-2009, 12:22 PM
I talked to a guy that took the Florida Lawn and Ornamental test this March (09), and had taken the same test previous July (08). He noticed less "confusing" questions. He mentioned it to the guys giving the test; They told him: A lot of complaints, and the rise in price of taking the test, had forced them to make the test easier to understand.

Ric
05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I talked to a guy that took the Florida Lawn and Ornamental test this March (09), and had taken the same test previous July (08). He noticed less "confusing" questions. He mentioned it to the guys giving the test; They told him: A lot of complaints, and the rise in price of taking the test, had forced them to make the test easier to understand.

Spray_man

Dr Sung no longer writes the test. Dr Sung was a real PITA in the fact he would be at each testing and if someone ask a question, you better believe it would be on the next test only with more correct answer choices.

Terry Montgomery writes the test now and is or was in the Jacksonville BEPC office. He used to be the one who approved CEU courses. Terry is strict but very fair. I used to be a CEU provider and had to work with Terry to get my CEU Classes certified.

vincent1
06-13-2009, 11:19 PM
UT test easy

OSguy
06-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Spray_man

Dr Sung no longer writes the test. Dr Sung was a real PITA in the fact he would be at each testing and if someone ask a question, you better believe it would be on the next test only with more correct answer choices.
Took his test for ghb. It was a bear. 85%

Terry Montgomery writes the test now and is or was in the Jacksonville BEPC office. He used to be the one who approved CEU courses. Terry is strict but very fair. I used to be a CEU provider and had to work with Terry to get my CEU Classes certified.Took Terrys L&O test last week still tough but alot more fair, and doesn't write questions with double negitives

What part of the state are you in Ric

Ric
06-15-2009, 08:09 PM
What part of the state are you in Ric

OSguy

A buddy called me this morning with his results of the L & O test. He was afraid he had failed when I talked to him right after he took it, 2 weeks ago. He got it by the skin of his teeth with a 78 but he is still a CPO now. Back when the test scores were divided into Law and Horticulture and you needed to pass both parts, My Go to guy got a 98 on the Hort and a 74 on the law and failed. He never retook the test but consults for many Pest control companies and is well respected. He didn't study for the test.

I am on the Gulf Coast South West across the state from Vero Beach.

OSguy
06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Is your company L&O only or do you do Maint also

Ric
06-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Is your company L&O only or do you do Maint also

OS

I am full book but only activate L&O and GHP. I also have Aquatic, Road and Right away, Row crop, Grove, Animal etc etc. The Bureau of Compliance certs are very easy to get and don't cost to take the test at your local Extension service. I am semi retired and a one man band. I have given up my Irrigation and Commercial Landscape Contractor License. I don't even cut my own grass.

Heavyduty1
06-15-2009, 09:17 PM
NC isn't all that tough at all. A lot of common sense questions.

I need to take the test in NC. Where can I go?

vanderbilt
06-15-2009, 10:01 PM
My local extension office has told me that if he can get 3 or more he might get someone out to monitor the test. I believe the study materials are available at the local extension office. If not enough people have interest in the tests then you have to go to the University of North Carolina to test. Study hard and you should be good to go. I went there years ago and got certified in pest control and passed the core and pest control first try. I am interested in doing the t and o so will be trying again. good luck

Heavyduty1
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
My local extension office has told me that if he can get 3 or more he might get someone out to monitor the test. I believe the study materials are available at the local extension office. If not enough people have interest in the tests then you have to go to the University of North Carolina to test. Study hard and you should be good to go. I went there years ago and got certified in pest control and passed the core and pest control first try. I am interested in doing the t and o so will be trying again. good luck

I'm tryin to bid on a bushhoging contract and you have to have the pest. lics. if you get the contract. Thanks for the info. If you like logging, a show starts at 10pm called swamp loggers. Supposed to be a guy from NC on the show.:cool2:

spray_man
07-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Anybody know how the economy is affecting Certified Operator tests attendance, in Florida? I cannot believe what I heard last night: 50% to 75% down? I asked one guy that took the Lawn and Ornamental test in March; He got there 45 minutes late, and they had just finished calling names. Attendance has been high for a long time no? I always hear 200 to 300 people. Is this right? . . . . . . Somebody is pulling my leg.

mcdow
01-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device