PDA

View Full Version : Run into with the post office

DK lawn care
03-24-2008, 07:19 PM
So far i past out 600 flyers on saturday. I passed em out right after everyone got their mail for the day. So on monday i got a call from the mail department tellin me that i need to stop passin out flyers or else ill be charged. They said if u want to continue, pay postage. How much is postage? Ive never had this happen to me before as i have been passin out flyers for a couple of years. Do any of the people on here kno of a way that i could pass em out cheaper? Im trying to keep this as cheap as possible as i am saving for a bagger for the exmark. BTW, the total amount i am goin for is 1,500 to 2,000 flyers passed out.

P.Services
03-24-2008, 07:20 PM
are you putting them inside the box?

DK lawn care
03-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Ya i am putting them inside the box. Is that bad? Because i have always done that and never had a problem until this lawn season.

Jason Rose
03-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Ummm, yeah, it's against the LAW (federal) to put anything in or on a mailbox that dosn't have the proper postage on it.

That sux you wasted that much time stuffing flyers into mailboxes... You have to put fliers.cards, whatever on the door of the house.

P.Services
03-24-2008, 07:28 PM
heck no you cant put them in the box, you will get slapped with a nice fine if you do that!!! put them in the paper box or on the door.

DK lawn care
03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
How much is postal and how do you guys do it?

Jason Rose
03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
You ever buy stamps??? Last time I checked it's 42 cents each.

yes, you can get cheaper if you are sending in bulk, but there's a lot of regulations you have to follow to qualify for mailing at less than the first class rate. If you have post-cards and they aren't too big you may be able to use post card stamps which are less, not sure the price though.

DK lawn care
03-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Ive never bought post stamps before.

The message that the "post office left" didnt leave a city name or anything. It called restricted and they didnt even leave a name of the caller. One neighborhood that i passed out to had almost every house cut by a LCO company (small neighborhood but big houses). What if it was a competetor callin?

P.Services
03-24-2008, 07:42 PM
if you have some one mark and mail them its about 23 cents plus the cost of the flier. just put them on the door.

DK lawn care
03-24-2008, 07:46 PM
ok, thanks for the help of the ppl who posted so far

EliteImpressions
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
You could always talk to the mailman for that area. Find out if he cares and if he doesnt, find out what days he works. The ones around here have off sundays and then rotate a day each week. (Off monday week 1, off tues week 2, and so on.)

This may sound lazy but it would take an extra 45 sec or so per house if you have to walk up to the door, instead of driving and puting them in the mail box.

Matts lawn care
03-24-2008, 10:47 PM
I know the mail lady and most don't mind. I put my postcards on the red flag NOT IN THE BOX. I think the in the box thing is over the line. Plus if its on the flag they have to look at it and take the time to take it off or at least glance at it. Hope this helps.

Grits
03-24-2008, 10:49 PM
It amazes me at how many people don't know that it it illegal to put fliers in mailboxes. Come on....get your head outta the clouds!!!! ANd you have NEVER bought a stamp before and are asking how to go about mailing them? You put addresses on them and a stamp then stick them in YOUR mailbox. The mailman will pick them up and they will magically arrive at the houses that you addressed them to.
GEEZ!!:hammerhead:

JB1
03-24-2008, 10:52 PM
It amazes me at how many people don't know that it it illegal to put fliers in mailboxes. Come on....get your head outta the clouds!!!! ANd you have NEVER bought a stamp before and are asking how to go about mailing them? You put addresses on them and a stamp then stick them in YOUR mailbox. The mailman will pick them up and they will magically arrive at the houses that you addressed them to.

Thats like where does meat come from, DUH the grocery store. Who needs the comedy channel on cable when you have lawnsite. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

1cooltreeguy
03-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Put on door - no no to put in boxxxxx. - they say it is federal property? Go figure - they do not buy it...

Jason Rose
03-24-2008, 10:57 PM

GIve it a few more years... As it is now, most people under the age of 20 have NEVER written a letter and mailed it to someone. Many people pay all their bills online already, and that's getting more popular by the second. Most of what comes in the mailbox already is either junk or bills, if you get them to send the bills via email you even cut that out. In as little as a few years I believe that a good % of the population won't be using the USPS at all.

Not that I'm making excueses for not knowing what a STAMP is. There's a difference between taking care of life with the internet and living under a rock.

ed2hess
03-24-2008, 11:05 PM

). What if it was a competetor callin?

Bingo....either competition or someone in area that doesn't like you.

GrassmasterB
03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
You could always talk to the mailman for that area. Find out if he cares and if he doesnt, find out what days he works. The ones around here have off sundays and then rotate a day each week. (Off monday week 1, off tues week 2, and so on.)

This may sound lazy but it would take an extra 45 sec or so per house if you have to walk up to the door, instead of driving and puting them in the mail box.

it doesnt matter if the mailman cares or not. its a federal offense. my mailbox and im sure everyone elses mailbox contains alot of personal information. if i still have mail in my box and i see someone walking or driving away from my mailbox after putting a flier in it or on it, how am i to know if that person took anything out. if i find a flier in or on my mailbox i will report that person or company.

Second Look
03-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Ok, not knowing what a stamp is??? WOW..Now how much is a stamp, I don't even pay attention anymore they kep going up - .41 or .42 now! I got a slap about 3 years ago putting fliers ON mailboxes. The law says, no where in on or around the box. Now, my argument with this is they make "mail" boxes with hooks and clips and paper boxes already on them. In relation to the current law, they can not be used for anything but mail. Hmmmmm! Ok, enought of my rant, No, not in them, and when they complain about "on" the box usually it is a new person.

jiggz
03-24-2008, 11:36 PM
why don't you just solve the problem by sticking them in the door..between the screen somehow.. thats how i do it..

CustomKare
03-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Guys.....what happens when you forget to put a stamp on? They return it to the return address! All you have to do is use the return address of the target customers and the mail is returned to them.....and delivered for FREE! Duh!

:cool2:

theguynextdoor
03-24-2008, 11:51 PM
I got a flyer in my mailbox the other day from an LCO. It had no pictures, no creativity. It was the most boring piece of crap I've ever seen. I crumpled it up and tossed it, as did most other people. And knowing that its illegal to put them in the mailbox made me even less likely to glance at it if I was looking for someone to do my lawn.

DK lawn care
03-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Ok, not knowing what a stamp is??? WOW..Now how much is a stamp, I don't even pay attention anymore they kep going up - .41 or .42 now! I got a slap about 3 years ago putting fliers ON mailboxes. The law says, no where in on or around the box. Now, my argument with this is they make "mail" boxes with hooks and clips and paper boxes already on them. In relation to the current law, they can not be used for anything but mail. Hmmmmm! Ok, enought of my rant, No, not in them, and when they complain about "on" the box usually it is a new person.

I know what a stamp is, no where in my post did it say i didnt kno what one was. I just didnt know how much it "costs for a stamp"

DK lawn care
03-25-2008, 12:22 AM
How much is postal and how do you guys do it?

When i asked how do u guys do it, i didnt ask how to send a letter out in the mail. I asked how do you guys do your "marketing". I should of also included in that post, that i heard of people giving flyers to the news paper and then they put the flyer or what ever type of marketing tool with the paper. How do i get the number to do this?

mdvaden
03-25-2008, 02:21 AM
Ya i am putting them inside the box. Is that bad? Because i have always done that and never had a problem until this lawn season.

Yes, if he did not bring up the law violation, and just mentioned postage, he was in a good mood that day.

I believe you can roll or fold them, and stick them between flag and box on the outside.

Or newspaper box.

Start a file now, so you can keep track.

Like in Lake Oswego, someone called because they had a no solicit sign, and the town has a law. But the city attorney told me that the towns law / code says the sign must be at the entrance to the property, not the door to the house.

So I write that in my file, so I don't forget, just for reference. Soon you will have a ton of answers for Lawnsite - LOL

Lawn-Sharks
03-25-2008, 11:42 AM
I think if you can spend time putting them in mail boxes the you can walk a couple mor feet to the front door and put them their with no worry of getting a fine

Lawn-Sharks
03-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Guys.....what happens when you forget to put a stamp on? They return it to the return address! All you have to do is use the return address of the target customers and the mail is returned to them.....and delivered for FREE! Duh!

:cool2:

that would work for a few letters but 1,500 of them. Give the post office some credit they'll figure out what you pulling and find a way to charge you or they will have a federal marshall come speak with you about your activitys:hammerhead:

All_Toro_4ME
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Wow!! All of this talk about something as simple as a mailbox. General rule of thumb, the homeowner owns the outside of the mailbox, the USPS owns the inside. DK lawn care, if you have a problem with stamps now at .42, wait til May, the prices are raising again. You seem like a young lco that is trying hard to make it and that says a lot, but do your homework and read your laws first before trying to skate the law. It is a federal crime (felony) to do what you have been doing.

Mimowerman
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
When i asked how do u guys do it, i didnt ask how to send a letter out in the mail. I asked how do you guys do your "marketing". I should of also included in that post, that i heard of people giving flyers to the news paper and then they put the flyer or what ever type of marketing tool with the paper. How do i get the number to do this?

uhh dude, just think instead of making stupid questions like this... try calling your local newspaper.... u want me to get the number for you??? Go to www.google.com and type in your local newspaper name..... click on their website, and look for a link called " contact " click on that link and dial a number you see there ..... help any?? how do you send your bills to your customers without using any stamps?? if you email them , thats fine..... I don't suppose you are a cash only business... pay as you Go ??? I've been buying stamps from age 10 and spend over $ 500 a year on them ..... you don't know about them??? :hammerhead:

All_Toro_4ME
03-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Another option you can do DK is to buy the "forever stamps" They do not have a monetary amount on them, the cost is .42 each, but the good part is when stamp prices raise in the future, you will still be able to use them as they will "automatically" adjust to the current prices for a postage stamp. They're worth checking into and investing in if you have a lot of mailings.

Team-Green L&L
03-25-2008, 12:51 PM
The box is of limits and they will charge you .32 per box if they have to collect the un-postmarked mail from the boxes. If you don't cease and desist, they will lock you up for it and it carries a hefty federal penalty.

mdvaden
03-25-2008, 01:11 PM
uhh dude, just think instead of making stupid questions like this... try calling your local newspaper.... u want me to get the number for you??? Go to www.google.com and type in your local newspaper name..... click on their website, and look for a link called " contact " click on that link and dial a number you see there ..... help any?? how do you send your bills to your customers without using any stamps?? if you email them , thats fine..... I don't suppose you are a cash only business... pay as you Go ??? I've been buying stamps from age 10 and spend over $ 500 a year on them ..... you don't know about them??? :hammerhead:

Since I already wrote about the newspaper, I won't repeat that part.

But the newspaper may tell you what they want you to hear, not what the actual facts are.

They called me, and did not have the facts for the question.

Runner
03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Yes, if he did not bring up the law violation, and just mentioned postage, he was in a good mood that day.
I believe you can roll or fold them, and stick them between flag and box on the outside.
Or newspaper box.

Yeah, even the outside of the box is off limits (like in the flag). You can't even use the post. Th newspaper box is alright, though.

Someone else had mentioned putting them on th door....like between the screen or something. I will tell you right now - do NOT go around a neighborhood yanking on screen doors trying to open them! :nono::hammerhead:

Grits
03-25-2008, 02:49 PM
GIve it a few more years... As it is now, most people under the age of 20 have NEVER written a letter and mailed it to someone. Many people pay all their bills online already, and that's getting more popular by the second. Most of what comes in the mailbox already is either junk or bills, if you get them to send the bills via email you even cut that out. In as little as a few years I believe that a good % of the population won't be using the USPS at all.

Not that I'm making excueses for not knowing what a STAMP is. There's a difference between taking care of life with the internet and living under a rock.

Maybe I am just getting old.

zz4guy
03-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I am hoping that in 10-15 years the USPS will be bankrupt from lack of business. I avoid using the USPS whenever I can since there is a good chance of them loosing the mail or delivering it late. Never happens w/UPS though.

To the OP - why dont you just put down $500 on a chunk of cards and postage? You'll look more professional, you can reach more people than you ever could walking around, and you can spend your time doing other things.

DK lawn care
03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I am hoping that in 10-15 years the USPS will be bankrupt from lack of business. I avoid using the USPS whenever I can since there is a good chance of them loosing the mail or delivering it late. Never happens w/UPS though.

To the OP - why dont you just put down $500 on a chunk of cards and postage? You'll look more professional, you can reach more people than you ever could walking around, and you can spend your time doing other things.

Ill try that and try to get a hold of my newspaper.

DK lawn care
03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
I sent an email out to the guy who is in charge of the Gang Printing for the Plain Dealer (clevelands paper). Gang printing is the way to distruibute flyers and such through the paper. Ill let you guys know what he says. Thanks for the help.

Harshman
03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
You can mail postcards for $.29 each. I use around a 60 pound card stock and make four per page. The exception to this is that I can hang them on the door of the house alot cheaper! I average 100 homes an hour give or take a few, and my return is around 1.5%. For example. I hung 300 last Monday, received a call on Wednesday for an estimate ($266.60 - Got It!) and received another call today for weekly service starting tomorrow. Not a bad return on 300 flyers. Note, my flyers were not the only ones on the door either. There were flyers from at least 3 other LCO's hanging also.

Send me your email and I will send you a copy of my flyer doc. It is in Publisher if you can use it.

tony@everestlawn.com

DK lawn care
03-25-2008, 10:25 PM
its MJD1569@yahoo.com

milkie62
04-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I am a postal worker.I make no excuses for them or me.BUT.....people complain when the price of stamps go up 1-3 cents and want to REVOLT.But if you stop and think about it if you mail 100 letters per year it is only $1-3 a year.On the other hand as gas keeps going up people just keep paying and paying.To mail a letter from NY to Ca and have it arrive in about 3 days for 41 cents is a bargain.

Pflat1
04-07-2008, 09:06 AM

The message that the "post office left" didnt leave a city name or anything. It called restricted and they didnt even leave a name of the caller. One neighborhood that i passed out to had almost every house cut by a LCO company (small neighborhood but big houses). What if it was a competetor callin?

Never bought a stamp before? :confused:

ATVracer
04-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I am a postal worker.I make no excuses for them or me.BUT.....people complain when the price of stamps go up 1-3 cents and want to REVOLT.But if you stop and think about it if you mail 100 letters per year it is only $1-3 a year.On the other hand as gas keeps going up people just keep paying and paying.To mail a letter from NY to Ca and have it arrive in about 3 days for 41 cents is a bargain.

Exactly right. I am also a USPS delivery supervisor. The mailboxes are protected by a group of laws called the Private Express Statues. It is illegal to place anything on, inside or attached to the mailboxes. How would you feel if someone was messing inside your mailbox? Also the price of stamps is 41 cents until May when it goes to 42. Of all the federal departments, we are the most trusted federal agency that exists based on civilian polls. We only charge what is necessary to cover our costs. If you can't pay an extra penny a year to buy stamps, what do your customer think when you raise their mowing price? Usually the first offense is verbal warning, second is making you pay first class postage on all pieces found, and after that you can possibly be arrested by postal inspectors. There are better and easier ways to market to customers.

SkyLawncare
04-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Rather than have door hangers made or wedge the flyer between the door, my idea is to take a single hole punch, punch the top of the ad material, take a .000001 cent rubber band, insert through hole, insert back through itself and viola! An instant, nearly free door hanger.

I also plan to do an occasional postage paid mailer as well. It's good to find different ways to get your ad to the same customer.

Maybe you could burn your name and phone number in their lawn with roundup! j/k:cool2:

ALC-GregH
04-07-2008, 11:31 AM
hey, thats an idea! LOL

I talked with my mailman Saturday and asked him about this. I already knew it was illegal. He told me to go for it since he was the regular guy in my area. I told him I don't want trouble, he said not to worry, he'll over look it to try and help me get started. Very cool guy.

gandk06
04-07-2008, 01:08 PM
hey, thats an idea! LOL

I talked with my mailman Saturday and asked him about this. I already knew it was illegal. He told me to go for it since he was the regular guy in my area. I told him I don't want trouble, he said not to worry, he'll over look it to try and help me get started. Very cool guy.

The problem with that is that it is probably not the postal worker that is turning people in for this. It is usually the grumpy old man down the block that hates getting a million fliers.

DK lawn care
04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Never bought a stamp before? :confused:

No i have never bought stamps before. I am a younger LCO and that "never bought stamps before" will change this season.

I just delievered 5,000 flyers to my local newspaper this morning. They are going out this thurs. Wish me luck with the call backs.

milkie62
04-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I think you can go to your town hall and get a tax listing of the town addresses.I know one local topsoil/mulch dealer that sends out a flyer every spring and my address is exactly the same as my property tax bill.So he is getting the addresses in "bulk" somehow thru the tax roles.Also you can go to your local post office and check on a bulk mailing for your town.It goes 3rd class I think which would be around 8-10 cents I think.Just a thought if someone is tring to cut costs.

GrassmasterB
04-08-2008, 12:39 AM
The problem with that is that it is probably not the postal worker that is turning people in for this. It is usually the grumpy old man down the block that hates getting a million fliers.

the ones turning people in for this are the home owners concerned with identity theft. the mailbox contains alot of personal information.

Military Lawns
04-08-2008, 12:44 AM

That mailbox is considered Federal property and they can hit you with multiple trespassing charges (count the number of flyers vs. charges). Try door hangers...legal.

DJ-

mdvaden
04-09-2008, 03:07 AM
My favorite mailboxes are the ones with flip lids - metal boxes on the sides of houses by the doors.

Was very common in like 1950 to 1960ish neighborhoods.

Many have two curved hook like things beneath that perfectly cradle a rolled flyer on the OUTSIDE of the mailbox - under cover from the rain, and next to the door.

2nd favorite - not a mailbox - are the brick pillar mailbox posts with the masonry or terracotta newspaper tube right beneath.

IN2MOWN
04-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Exactly right. I am also a USPS delivery supervisor. The mailboxes are protected by a group of laws called the Private Express Statues. It is illegal to place anything on, inside or attached to the mailboxes. How would you feel if someone was messing inside your mailbox? Also the price of stamps is 41 cents until May when it goes to 42. Of all the federal departments, we are the most trusted federal agency that exists based on civilian polls. We only charge what is necessary to cover our costs. If you can't pay an extra penny a year to buy stamps, what do your customer think when you raise their mowing price? Usually the first offense is verbal warning, second is making you pay first class postage on all pieces found, and after that you can possibly be arrested by postal inspectors. There are better and easier ways to market to customers.

Not to nit pick but its not "an extra penny per year"...unless you are only buying one stamp.

Personally I don't mind. I hand deliver most of my invoices anyway and pay my bills over the internet. I think I only spent about $300.00 in postage last year between advertising and the few invoices I mail.

I do have a question though.

I usually leave the invoices on the door. Is it against the law to place my own invoice in their mailbox?

zz4guy
04-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Not to nit pick but its not "an extra penny per year"...unless you are only buying one stamp.

Personally I don't mind. I hand deliver most of my invoices anyway and pay my bills over the internet. I think I only spent about $300.00 in postage last year between advertising and the few invoices I mail.

I do have a question though.

I usually leave the invoices on the door. Is it against the law to place my own invoice in their mailbox?

Yes it's illegal to put anything in the mailbox that isn't federal mail. Even if it's your own mailbox.

Greenleaf Lawns
04-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Thats like where does meat come from, DUH the grocery store. Who needs the comedy channel on cable when you have lawnsite. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks

Good Laugh always helps a day at work!

BillyRgn
04-09-2008, 02:08 PM
I have herd of cases ware the post office will take the fliers and then send you a bill for the unpaid postage,(remember any thing to do with the post office is federal). I'm not sure, but if you want to do it any other way than mailing it with a stamp, I believe you may have to get a permit or something from the town if you want to put them in the doors or even out side the mail boxes, because it is soliciting. I'm not sure how it works though. A few years ago i had passed out flyer's in some neighborhoods, and put them in the news paper box, in between the doors or wedged them in the flag on the mailbox, a few weeks later my father got a call from a close friend to the family who happens to be the towns literary enforcement agent, who told him to tell me that its not allowed and some people complained. He never pursued it or anything, because we are close friends, but i don't no what the consequence would have been if i had not known him.

IN2MOWN
04-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Yes it's illegal to put anything in the mailbox that isn't federal mail. Even if it's your own mailbox.

I put things in my mailbox all the time that are not going to the federal government.

Why is that illegal?

1MajorTom
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
I put things in my mailbox all the time that are not going to the federal government.

Why is that illegal?

Because you do not own that mailbox, even though you bought it. Once you mount it to your house, it becomes the property of the USPS.

IN2MOWN
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Because you do not own that mailbox, even though you bought it. Once you mount it to your house, it becomes the property of the USPS.

I must of misread that because the way I took what zz4guy posted was that unless the mail was going to the federal government it could not go in my mailbox and I could not mail it.

BillyRgn
04-10-2008, 01:40 PM
unless you are mailing something with a stamp, it does not belong in the mailbox, even when you get oil for your house and the driver puts the recipt in the mailbox, it is illegal, they usually don't breal your balls but they could f they wanted.