PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do for USDOT Safety Audit?

shovelracer
03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
We just got our USDOT # and are super excited about our upcoming safety audit (not). Basically we currently run 3/4 tons and soon a cab over 14.5GVWR. But we are almost always pulling a trailer 7-10K. From time to time we leave the state for materials or equipment. Consensus was that we needed a USDOT#. Anyways I know that big truckers have to do log books, and all kinds of other stuff, but what are we required to do, and what are they looking for at the audit. Im sure a few people have been through this so any advice is helpful. Thanks

AintNoFun
03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
2 years ago we went through the safety audit. the trooper came out asked a boat load of questions gave me some paperwork and off he went.....

shovelracer
03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Sorry for the questions, but I find the federal site confusing and hard to interpret for my use. Do we need to keep a travel log? If so all the time or only when out of state?

AintNoFun
03-24-2008, 08:58 PM
i was told as long as you are no more than 100 miles from your home base you dont need to keep logs... he said they are sticklers on random drug testing though..

Sorry for the questions, but I find the federal site confusing and hard to interpret for my use. Do we need to keep a travel log? If so all the time or only when out of state?

shovelracer
03-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Not that it would matter cause my wife and I are the only two so far that would be going out of state. When you mean random drug screening do you mean they want us to test drivers or the DOT tests us?

PerfectEarth
03-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I just had my audit in January (new entrant)... it was not fun, but worth it. It was my understanding that they came to me- but no. I had to schedule a meeting downtown and sit with an auditor for almost 3 hours.

I'm not sure who you will deal with on the phone, but the lady I spoke with (a week before my appt.) was kind enough to mail me a sheet and some info for me to prepare.

Lemme give you some stuff in a nutshell- you need to have a driver file on each driver.
-driver's app. for employment
-inquiry to previous employment
-state driving record- 3 year and annual
-annual review of driving record
-annual driver's cert. of violations
-driver's road test cert.
-MEDICAL CARD COPY!!!
-LICENSE COPY

Insurance info
any maintenance files on trucks
GVRWS
fleet mileage
Owned/leased trucks
bring annual and roadside inspections
LOGS- if you are withing 100 mile radius, no log book required or dialy inspection form
BUT!!-- must record hours of dty/service (your working hours, so not more than 12 day for example or you can't drive anymore)
Gross Revenue numbers for past 12 months

Go to this page- http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/forms/forms.htm

and just download and print as many forms as you can- if you can't fill them out or are unsure, just familiarize yourself with them and be ready with some questions. The guy who gave me my audit was just wanting to feel that I had a good understanding of what was going on and that i was trying the best I could to comply with all the stuff. Just surf around the FMCSA site and you'll find a lot of info.

I passed with flying colors and I thought I was gonna BOMB, so don't be too nervous. It did take me a whole weekend to prep and I'm only a solo guy with no employees so I treat myself as an employee- THAT is the key. Treat youself as an employee and fill the forms out on yourself, it's silly, but it's required. GOOD luck, if you have any other questions, PM me.

AintNoFun
03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
u pay to get it done at a lab...

Not that it would matter cause my wife and I are the only two so far that would be going out of state. When you mean random drug screening do you mean they want us to test drivers or the DOT tests us?

shovelracer
03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I hope they dont expect me to test myself, not because I would fail, but because most of the time Im aware of what I put in my body. Being as Im the owner and operator they might ask want me to talk to myself. I should probably do that at home so people dont think Im crazy.

d&rlawncare
03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Drug testing only applies to you if you have a CDL license and/or CDL vehicles. Do you?

shovelracer
03-25-2008, 10:02 PM
no I dont have any CDLs