PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!

Casey21
03-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey everyone!

I have a very large commercial job I am bidding on. I have about 8,818 plants to plant and 36 trees. The plants range from 5gal - 1 gal. There are only 1910 1 gal plants in that 8,818. I was thinking cost + 50% then add my cost and margins on top of that... I dont want to over bid this... Anyone ever do planting job this size? It comes out to 18,000 GAL

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Holy **** thats alot of plants good luck on that one!!

jbailey52
03-24-2008, 11:47 PM
I have a questions... are you bonded? If you win the bid are you sure after they do their research they will contract you? Sounds like a potential disaster on the customers and your end if dont incorectly

Casey21
03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Yes, we are a Licensed and Bonded GC . Our average landscape design/build is around 35,000.00. But our job size's range from 15,000.00 - 165,000.00. We have two 3 man and one 4 man crew. And skidsteers and mini-ex's to back them. Job size we can handle. We have good experience with commercial irrigation, Netafim/in-line drip and such. I have never bid a job with this many plants so was wondering if anyone had. And if they have, then what was the % markup after cost. Or do they bid so much a gallon? I mostly get about plant cost x 2 or around 22-30.00 a gallon plant/planted for shrubs. Any additional info on larger quantity planting would be nice to know. I understand I am not the only one invited to bid. Would be nice to know how margins drop with that kind of quantity.

jbailey52
03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Casey, it is def. an impressive job... hope I did not upset you by asking that... but I would expect you understand what the point of my question was.

Casey21
03-25-2008, 08:41 PM
No I was not upset at all. In fact that is the first question you should ask someone. I totally understand that question. I should have communicated my situation better.

JohnnyRoyale
03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I need more details on this job-do you have to prep the beds, import/export soil, are you mulching, watering etc? How big are these beds. What are the existing site conditions like, what kind of warranty are they after? I'm assuming the 1Gals are perennials, and the rest shrubs of some kind. Give me some details.

Casey21
03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
We will amend soil (3-way) in the planting beds. Excavation contractor will grade all planting beds. We are installing irrigation and Inline drip system. Soils on site are sandyloam/rock, no clay. The site will be totally excavated and graded. Warranty will be for the year. Biggest bed is 372x10. Allot of long narrower runs for planting. Install mulch also.

JohnnyRoyale
03-26-2008, 06:40 PM
We will amend soil (3-way) in the planting beds. Excavation contractor will grade all planting beds. We are installing irrigation and Inline drip system. Soils on site are sandyloam/rock, no clay. The site will be totally excavated and graded. Warranty will be for the year. Biggest bed is 372x10. Allot of long narrower runs for planting. Install mulch also.

If the beds are going to be irrigated, you shouldnt have a warranty issue. Aside from T&M on soils and mulch, I typically add 50% to plant material cost, from a grower, bring in 10 guys, and give er. If your beds are prepped, you'll be able to drop alot of plant material in a day. Hope this helps.