PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with experience in maintaining a youth football field?

Pflat1
03-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Does anyone have any experience in maintaining a youth football field? Its a youth league ages 6-12 in the Pittsburgh ,Pa area. The grass in the middle of the field is almost bare from all the action and the rest of the grass is thin. Want to make the grass thicker everywhere (more growth) and to grow and maintain through out the year. I have 2 kids in the league and they asked if I would want to take care of it. Yes they are paying me.

Yes I did a search :)

Was thinking :
aeration
seed/overseed
Fert

Gonna post a cpl pics of it in a few days

Any help or ideas would be gr8t
Thx

RD 12
03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Is it used during the summer? If you have some down time I would go with a good aeration, then top dressing, over seeding and a good fertilizing program. It kind of depends on your budget. I took over a program that sounds a lot like yours a few years ago, and the budget will probably be your main problem.

Pflat1
03-25-2008, 04:32 PM
No , not used during the summer . A football camp in June ,then Aug 5 is the first wk of practice.

Gonna give them an idea of a price for all of that and go from there.

thx

Pflat1
03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
some pics of the middle and sides of the playing field

RD 12
03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Wow. got alot of work to do.

Field General
03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Pfalt1...I would be glad to help you if I can.It really does not look that bad. I have seen much worse.
Do you have the ability to water?
Where exactly is the field located? I do not live too far from your area...I would not be totally opposed to stop by for a look. PM me if you think I can help.

SoloSulkySurfer
03-27-2008, 10:40 PM
I would start by shooting the deer that are feeding in your field (track on the close-up pic).:laugh:

Athletic field
03-28-2008, 01:52 AM
aerate and then aerate the field. over seed heavy 5 to 6lbs./1000 with kentucky blue/ Perennial ryegrass mix. They both have good wear tolerance. Tall fescue is wear tolerate, but not until after a year. Plus Tall fescue may make bigger "clumps" when worn and create ankle twisters. (got that info off of Penn State) Try to slit seed if you can. Don't waste your time with siduron for preemergent. Use acclaim or get a licensed person to use acclaim when you can see the crab in the middle of the field about 40 to 50 yards away. Sounds funny, but I got this off of Dr. McNitt from Penn State as well.
Try to use a starter fertilizer, hope for rain, and good luck.

Pflat1
03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I would start by shooting the deer that are feeding in your field (track on the close-up pic).:laugh:

Yeah the field is near farm country , I thought that was a deer track hahaha

Pflat1
03-28-2008, 03:02 PM
aerate and then aerate the field. over seed heavy 5 to 6lbs./1000 with kentucky blue/ Perennial ryegrass mix. They both have good wear tolerance. Tall fescue is wear tolerate, but not until after a year. Plus Tall fescue may make bigger "clumps" when worn and create ankle twisters. (got that info off of Penn State) Try to slit seed if you can. Don't waste your time with siduron for preemergent. Use acclaim or get a licensed person to use acclaim when you can see the crab in the middle of the field about 40 to 50 yards away. Sounds funny, but I got this off of Dr. McNitt from Penn State as well.
Try to use a starter fertilizer, hope for rain, and good luck.

Sounds good
Thanks