PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturers vs. Importers, what makes the difference?

irrig8r
03-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Many major lighting manufacturers produce or procure products from abroad.

In my experience, levels of customer service are directly related to how much of the manufacturing process they perform/ own/ control.

I don't expect every part to be produced in house, but don't they have a vested interest in meeting or raising quality standards when their reputation is on the line?

So, with that in mind....

1. How do we distinguish a "manufacturer" from an "importer"?
2. Does it matter to you?
3. Does it matter to your customers?

pete scalia
03-24-2008, 09:21 PM
We have obviously run out of interesting topics to discuss.

Chris J
03-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Picking a quality manu is like picking a President. They all will lie to you to win your vote, but it is easier to get rid of your lighting manu than it is to get rid of the Pres.
I really don't care if the manu is Chinese, Japanese, Canadian, American, or African. As long as the product is solid and will last an expected amount of time, and the company will stand behind the RGA's, then I'm OK. The customer doesn't need to know who/where the product came from. All the customer needs to know is you and that you will stand behind it. Therefore, you have to know that the products that you are dealing with are sound and the company that you are dealing with is sound.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2008, 12:18 AM
So, with that in mind....

1. How do we distinguish a "manufacturer" from an "importer"?
2. Does it matter to you?
3. Does it matter to your customers?

1: A manufacturer should own and operate some sort of factility, not simply contract it out to others. Some might say that assembly is enough to be called a manu. I would think there is more to it then that. They should actually fabricate their products. This might include company owned facilities that are offshore, but would not include 3rd party, contracted facilities.

2: In my experience, yes it matters. The product that comes from true manufacturers tends to be better quality and is backed with real people, jobs and livlihoods on the line.

3: This will vary depending on the contractors. Here I keep a good degree of separation between the client and any product manufacturer. My clients are hiring INTEGRA Works and purchasing systems not components. Their product concerns, inquiries and maintenance are handled by me.

NightScenes
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
I would agree with Chris on this issue, my clients have never asked me where my fixtures are made. Of course their driving a Lexus or a BMW or a Mercedes or some other foreign car. I don't sell many systems to Ford drivers.

As long as the client can depend on me and I can depend on the manufacturer, everything is cool.

The Lighting Geek
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
OK, so if we get in front of people who drive mercedes, Lexus, etc. while sporting a Ford, Chevy, or dodge pick em up truck, what do we need to drive to get to the Vipers, Masseratis, etc? Hmmm? or a private jet, helicopter for that matter?

klkanders
03-25-2008, 12:16 PM
My Maserati does 185
I lost my license now I don't drive
I have a limo ride in the back
I lock the doors in case I'm attacked

Im sorry Tommy....I dont know whats wrong with me.

The Lighting Geek
03-25-2008, 12:19 PM
hmmm...sounds like you listen to tooooo much classic rock! ooops, I do too. Maybe that's my problem!? Now I won't need to be deprogrammed!

extlights
03-25-2008, 12:30 PM
OK, so if we get in front of people who drive mercedes, Lexus, etc. while sporting a Ford, Chevy, or dodge pick em up truck, what do we need to drive to get to the Vipers, Masseratis, etc? Hmmm? or a private jet, helicopter for that matter?

Funny that you mention that. We have a customer that has a private jet and a helicopter and he drives fords, Lincolns and Chevy's. Granted one of the Fords is a gt...but it's still a ford. No mercedes, lexus, or beemers for him....and we drive Ford trucks, so I'll say that you need to drive a Ford to get these people! :laugh: