PDA

View Full Version : insert or trailer

McVey Landscaping
03-25-2008, 01:28 AM
I've been kicking around about either getting a dump insert, or a dump trailer. Sold my 1 ton dump last year miss it. The dump insert I would haul mainly grass, leaves, mulch. The trailer I could haul about anything, and brush would not strach the crap out of my new truck. Just curious on everyone's thoughts. Thanks.:usflag:

newtostone
03-25-2008, 02:04 AM
I would go with a dump trailer. I was up in arms with the same question but ended up going with a 12k dump trailer and love it. One of the great things is, your truck wont be scratched up as much, lower loading height, and higher carry weight. The time when it really hit me how great a dump trailer was, is when i had the leaf box on it and did the walls up just shy of 6' and packed in two-three homes per box load(many more on the small ones). I doubt i could have done that with a insert.

ken gustafson
03-26-2008, 12:02 AM
I used to have a dump truck...expensive much up keep. I now have many trailers and they cost very little and when I do not need them...I park them. I also had one stolen and that is when I started designing and getting U.S.Patents and having them built and trying to sell them so other people will not have to go through the expense and anger of having something you work for stolen. I am for trailers BIG TIME....Ken

newtostone
03-26-2008, 12:18 AM
You bring up a good point i didnt even bring up, when i had my dump truck the cost of the insurance was too coslty to have it jsut to haul when i am able to get by just by paying for the trialer(which is around a 10th of the cost) If you can get by with one i would say do it.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-26-2008, 06:08 AM
I have both and each has it's uses.....the trailer is more versatile.........

RCFD044
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on this dump trailer, it's a 2000 Cam Superline 6x10 hydro dump not sure of the weight rating just saw it online and I am looking to buy a used dump trailer for my 2nd season to do mowing, and mulch with. Any thoughts on price? they are asking $2795 for it and it needs some tlc.

J&R Landscaping
03-26-2008, 12:40 PM
For the above^^ it depends on what condition its in? How are the brakes and the wheel bearings. Does the cylinder work correctly? Does it have any leaks?

I went over the same issue myself and came out with the dump trailer being the logcal answer for me.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
This will be my second season using a 6x12 dump trailer as my mowing trailer. It has worked out very well since I am solo and only want to have limited equipment. I add the alum dump insert this year mainly for a leaf box....but I can easily haul 8+ yards of mulch in the trailer.........

RCFD044
03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the input I am going to go look at it and see what kind of working condition it is in.

McVey Landscaping
03-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the input, I decided to go with a dump trailer and just bought a close out on a 07 PJ 78x10 with 6000 pound axles under it. It is sweet will post some pics. I sold my 88 Chevy 3500 4x4 dump with a 454 last years. Insurance was $98.00 a month for commerical and gas was about 5-6 mile to a gallon. Was getting hard to justify keeping it. I think I will like the dump trailer. Insurance for commercial on my dump trailer is $26.00 every 6 month I like that. Thanks. :usflag: