PDA

View Full Version : lighting trouble shooting

handyzac
03-25-2008, 01:48 AM
I will be doing a low v lighting repair job this week. I've done some minor repairs on my own small installed systems. However I will be repairing someone elses job which I'm sure has cut wires and any other problem I can dream of. I'm wondering if there is a tool that will help me find possible broken wires, grounded wires, and other difficult hard to find problems quickly.

Lite4
03-25-2008, 02:16 AM
It is called a ground fault locator. You hook it up to one end of the wire and bury the ground. An electrical "pulse" is sent down the line and the fault is located with the transom tool. You can find them on Ebay sometimes. Google "pulser ground fault locator". This tool is amazing.

Pro-Scapes
03-25-2008, 05:12 AM
If it is not a quality system you would be doing your client a favor by not messing with it and getting a new system put in there. We do ALOT of service work. Often times it is easier and cheaper to just replace a wire run vs tracking down and making repairs.

That being said there is NO substitue for common sence and a good meter in situations like this as well. A good Visual inspection is often times enough to diganois an ailing system

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Any system can be repaired. Spend a lot of time researching, make sure you are going to get paid and start replacing wires. If you need to repair sockets get good ones, make sure you relamp everything and enjoy. Everyones perception of quality is different. I'd look forward to the challenge and have fun with it and enjoy what it looks like in the end.

Pro-Scapes
03-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Any system can be repaired. Spend a lot of time researching, make sure you are going to get paid and start replacing wires. If you need to repair sockets get good ones, make sure you relamp everything and enjoy. Everyones perception of quality is different. I'd look forward to the challenge and have fun with it and enjoy what it looks like in the end.

Doug dont you have a pina colada to drink ? We are looking into sandals vacations so maybe you can meet up with us when we are down there. Not sure when or where.

Back on topic you need to determine if its WORTH repairing vs replacing. Chris J spoke about a situation a month or 2 back where it cost a mid 3 figures to do a repair when he could of replaced it cheaper. He charged what he had to for all his running around for an obscure part or fixture. In that situation I would of informed the client I located the problem and it will be xxx to repair or xxx to replace the faulty component. If it is cheaper to replace the fixture or wires than it is to locate the faults or do the repairs the choice is clear. If it is a cut cable then you also need to consider it maybe nicked in other areas which will lead to future issues as well.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2008, 08:34 AM
We are looking into sandals vacations so maybe you can meet up with us when we are down there. Not sure when or where.

Billy... topic shmopic. If you are looking into Sandals I HIGHLY recommend the Sandals Grande St. Lucian. K. and I were there last year for our 10th Anniversary and it was absolutely lovely... Top notch location and service. Do it right and get a conceirege or butler level room. Every need, want and whim will be satisfied. St. Lucia is a stunning island too.

Enjoy.

Pro-Scapes
03-25-2008, 08:48 AM
our friends were just married there. Said it was incredible. We will look into it for late november or so.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-25-2008, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't know I work night and day the whole time I'm on a resort...lol...St. Lucia isnt the easiest place to get unfortunately...Antigua isnt either...its probably worth it. I'm a Negril fan myself. Looking at 2 weeks there in late May. I'm off to Nassau next week and Turks in a few weeks so my visits here will be very light...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2008, 09:04 AM
...St. Lucia isnt the easiest place to get unfortunately...Antigua isnt either...its probably worth it.

We flew AA, Miami to St. Lucia direct daily. Air Canada and many others also have daily direct flights so It isnt too bad to get to at all. Just don't connect through Puerto Rico... I hear that can cause big problems, delays, etc.

When you land do yourself a favour and jump on the helicopter to fly you into the resort. It is the only way to go! Awesome Island.

JoeyD
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I will be doing a low v lighting repair job this week. I've done some minor repairs on my own small installed systems. However I will be repairing someone elses job which I'm sure has cut wires and any other problem I can dream of. I'm wondering if there is a tool that will help me find possible broken wires, grounded wires, and other difficult hard to find problems quickly.

You need a Volt Meter and an Amp probe number one. This is cruicial for anyone troubleshooting a system. Youc an feel free to call me if you have questions during the troubleshooting process. Be wary of working on anothers mis hap, it can turn into your mis hap very easily. Call me is you need help.

Joey D.

handyzac
03-26-2008, 01:16 AM
all of you bring up very valid points on whether to repair or replace. I will be taking a hard look at everything tomorrow to figure out what my and my clients options are. thankyou for all of your valueble help.