PDA

View Full Version : Need to price planting large trees please help

andyslawncare
03-25-2008, 12:39 PM
i have a client who wants a forrest in his yard. he has upward of $6,000 to spend on trees. i found a large supply of 8-12 foot trees that are half price this week. 2 for $130. i figured i would quote him for 2 times the price. i can put down 30 trees for $3,900 and make $1,950. the supplier is going to deliver the trees to the work site. i will have a crew of 3 or 4 working. is this a good estimate or should i consider changing it around? our soil in the area is lots of clay. is there any tools to help me dig these holes more efficently? also, i've heard aout giving a warantee on these trees????? more info on that also. We are in a drought area and watering is restricted during summer months. customer is aware of this and still wants to plant. what should i do for the warantee?? i can't guarantee growth because of the restrictions put in place.

during the planting process...should i apply fertilizer/soil in with the plant??
i know i'm going to stake around the tree...not a problem there...

please help me with this bid.

PSUturf
03-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Around here it would be a minimum of about $300 each for trees that size. Why are the trees so cheap, especially with delivery? Doubling what you are paying for the trees is a fair price to the customer but not to you. Does your price include mulch? (Very important for moisture retention) If not bump the price up a few hundred to include mulching each tree.

Consider using a skid loader with a U blade or large auger. The diameter of the hole should be about 1 foot wider than the root ball so that you can make sure there is good soil contact all around the root ball and no air pockets. You can easily plant that many trees in one day using a machine.

I wouldn't offer any guarantee past the start of the watering restriction. It is important that the customer understands that a guarantee does not cover trees that die as a result of neglect, which includes not watering. If I were installing that many trees I would definitely try to check on the customers watering occasionally.

As far as fertilizer, only use a product that is mostly slow release. You don't want to encourage a lot of new growth going into summer. If the drought continues and you can't water the lush new growth is sure to die. I would err on the side of caution and not use any fertilizer until after watering restrictions have been lifted. The tree will not die the first year in the ground due to lack of fertilizer.

phasthound
03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
The best way to insure survival is to plant properly. Here's some good info http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx

In addition, I would recommend adding mycorrhizea and 10% worm castings or compost to the native soil & back fill with the mix.

BrandonV
03-25-2008, 10:51 PM
man you got me excited, I thought you wanted "big trees" anyways make sure they're dug w/ 10" of dirt for 1" of caliper, especially if they weren't winter dug. other than that don't get them too deep, aka don't dig you hole too deep and then backfill because they'll settle, and the wider the hole the better.