PDA

View Full Version : Question with DMV and trailers, HELP!

soloscaperman
03-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't know what to put on the DMV paper. If I put commercial for the trailer I think it would cost more to register and they said suttin about April 1st you gotta renew the registration or something. Can I check off has non- commercial because I only use the trailer one day a week for now and I guess its cheaper to put it as non commercial use. Its only a 4x6 250 pound trailer with rear lights. I will be putting a 48 walker on it. Will I get busted if I don't put it as commercial use. And to let you know I don't have a lot of money now because it was a rough winter for me. I need some advice guys, thanks. p.s. why is that if you put the trailer as commercial that I gotta renew it or something on April1st. Should I just wait till April 1st or later to do this. Whats the point of going there twice in a week. Hate DMV.

topsites
03-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Ask the folks at the DMV what you should do, if I give you advice it's as likely to burn you one way or the other, but I would splurge this one time and get 'permanent' plates for it (whichever kind). You can do it either way and permanent ones cost more upfront but once paid forever paid, so a few years and they pay for themselves (plus no more worrying about it, done).

As for further advice I wouldn't try anything funny, they might not catch you but IF they do it ain't worth it.
I think the fine is like a thousand bucks lmfao if you're short on money then taking a chance still ain't the right answer.
But we don't know, I don't know, who knows what commercial means in your state but them, right?

Choice is yours on the permanent plates, but ask them on the 'commercial' bit because it might be for 18-wheelers for all we know, so just ask they won't bite your head off lol... They might ask you what kind of trailer and the use (or not) but then just answer the question honestly and then you get the answer you need and this way you can't go wrong.

Peace

soloscaperman
03-25-2008, 07:37 PM
whats the difference?

Scagmower48
03-25-2008, 08:38 PM
I live in CT and this is my first real year so Im changing mine from camper plates to commercial plates. U should do the same to stay legal. Don't register your trailer to april 1st, because if u register it on march 30th then u have to pay for 6 months registration. So wait to april 1st. Commercial plates aren't that much more money. Im expecting to pay around $40 a year for reg.

Scagmower48
03-25-2008, 08:45 PM
topsites, in CT a commercial plates is to be used on any vehicle that is used for commericial use. From a stump grinder, dodge ram, small trailer, big trailer. My father is a local cop, so i know the laws.

soloscaperman
03-25-2008, 09:01 PM
but what is the point to have commercial plate on my dinky 4x6 trailer?? You pay more to register and why not just check off no on the registration form. I only have like 10 lawns.

lifetree
03-25-2008, 09:46 PM
but what is the point to have commercial plate on my dinky 4x6 trailer ?? ...

It sounds like the point is avoiding the possibility of a $ 1,000 fine if you get caught !!

Scagmower48
03-25-2008, 09:48 PM
man your thickheaded, IF IT IS USED FOR BUSINESS USE THEN A COMMERCIAL PLATE IS REQUIRED. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW SMALL THE DAMN THING IS. TELL THE COP OR WHO EVER PULLS YOU OVER THAT U ONLY HAVE TEN LAWNS. THEY WILL PROLLY ASK ''DO U MOW THEM FOR FREE?" AND U WILL SAY NO AND THEN U WILL GET TICKETED FOR MISUSE OF PLATES, AND WILL HAVE TO HAVE A COURT APPEARANCE.

soloscaperman
03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks I thought commercial plates were for big business people that have a 10x20 trailer pushing like 10,000 pound equipment. Sorry dude not every person has a father that is a cop. These stupid laws change every freakin year. Its called the state wants more money because "commercial" guys "make so much" money that they love to charge more. The goverment is so thick headed that they should be at least putting plates on mopeds that are in our roads or these idiots in there mountain bikes riding on the road.

Gmgbo
03-25-2008, 10:19 PM
For 10 lawns I wouldnt register it commercial....just tell the cop you are going to mow your grammas lawn. My 6x12 is not commercial and the truck has been pulled over 4 times and nobody has complained about it.:usflag:

Where in CT are you?

turtle
03-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Give the DMV a call you may get lucky and get the correct answer. The company I work for bought a 6x 10 trailer in the 90's and the DMV gave them camper plates and we ran them for 5 years. Til the cops stoped us and told us it was the wrong plate.