PDA

View Full Version : Gas or electric hedge trimmer?

GreenAcresLC
03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Being new to the business, I'm faced with the task of purchasing all of my equipment now, before the season hits full swing. One thing I'm unsure of is this: to buy an electric hedge trimmer, or spend the cash oh a better gas powered one. My gut says all gas all the way, but what are your experienced opinions? Thanks in advance! JW, Green Acres Lawn Svc, LLC

CLARK LAWN
03-25-2008, 04:57 PM
deffintly gas what good would electric be if the customer doesnt have a plug on the outside of their house

topsites
03-25-2008, 06:28 PM
yeh I don't like cords hanging around when I'm working with a cutting tool, but gas is far more powerful too and you're never short of a source of energy (unless you runs out lol).

kleankutslawn
03-25-2008, 06:44 PM
If you are planning on doing this professionally,go with gas.Iwill never by electric under any circumstance.Just my .2

paul vroom
03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
It could be embarrassing if you need to ring a door bell and ask the homeowner to plug you in. Plus, some clients would probably complain about you using their resources to do the job. Go gas until they make a solar powered.

Roger
03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I have used a gas powered unit for several years, but started out with an electric clippers.

Last Summer, we were mowing at a very high-scaled residence, one for which we only do the mowing. The lot is large (~3/4 acre), with extensive landscaping (deep beds, many bushes, etc.). The owners of 4-5 years since new have the initial installers do all the maintenance work (mulching, edging, trimming). It is too large for me anyway, and they do a excellent job. Three trucks and 6-8 workers show up, and fan out across the property. Three workers form a trimming team, two laying/emptying tarps, another doing the trimming work. He was using an electric trimmer.

When the foreman came close enough, I asked him about the trimmers. They always use an electric trimmer, purchased from a local hardware store. He says that with all the trimming the crews do, the electric ones have proven to be the fastest. Why? Four pounds, not 12 pounds! His assertion was the cord management was trivial compared to the worker having to handle a heavy trimmer for long periods of time. After watching them work for an hour (we were on lunch break part of the time), I was impressed. The worker with the trimmer was easily moving the clipper with one hand, moving plant material, stuffing the tarp underneath, and other tasks with the other hand. He easily switched hands for the lightweight trimmer.

Now, I'm not suggesting this is the pattern for most folks. But, for a very high-level landscape crew, working at nothing but top-notch properties, their use of an electric clipper made me wonder why I was handling the heavy gas-powered unit all the time. This company is well-known for their excellent work, and for the very high rates they charge for their services.

One thing that I did not ask the foreman: Do they use the electric clipper for all kinds of plant materials? I only saw him working on two different kinds of plantings. So, perhaps when they have different kinds of plantings, they do employ gas-powered units.

Weight....? 4 vs. 12 (or more) pounds ... could be an important consideration.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-25-2008, 08:39 PM
On here, Gas hedge trimmers = professional.
I disagree to a point. #1, those things are heavy. #2, gas costs money, tapping into homeowners juice is free energy:), #3 Gas powered are more expensive units (albeit will probably last a little longer.

If you only plan to do a few houses worth of trimming, I would go electric, not too many houses are without an outside outlet these days (bring a lot of cord though). If a lot more trimming, probably go gas for portability.

Harshman
03-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Gas!

Everything you use should be gas. Dont have to worry about running over or cutting the power cord, tripping, or especially looking cheap!

grapeford
03-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I started with gas and went with commercial electric for about 3-4 years. We do so much pruning, that my arms would ache after spending 8-10 hours pruning. I liked the weight of the electric,*(kept a generator on the trailer to plug in). After burning out numerous electric motors, not to mention cutting cords, I went back to gas. I primarily use an extended length Husky pruner. I have 2 other guys who use husky pruners.

lawnpro724
03-26-2008, 12:11 AM
If you have to ask then this may be the wrong business for you.

KGR landscapeing
03-26-2008, 06:15 AM
i think its simple gas lots of power and theres no orange cord running all over the place for u and your guys to kill them selfs on

deere615
03-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Gas all the way for me
I do own electric and 18volt battery ones though. With electric the cord is always in your way, and I cut half way through a cord before. Batterys actually last a good while but you can't cut through anything thick they are nice and light for quick touch ups or very small bushes

DBL
03-26-2008, 09:03 AM
i think you get the picture.....but gas is the way to go for all the above reasons

cgaengineer
03-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I was going to mention electric for lightweight but figured I would get laughed right off the board, glad to see others opinions on electric.

For the little bit of hedge trimming I do, I use a Stihl HS 45, its not the professional model, but it works for me and will last me several years.

About the electric plugs, most newer houses have plugs outside. My house has 3, the only problem I can see with using them is if the customer inside is using something that takes a lot of current while you are trimming you will trip a breaker...not to mention you are also using your customers power...that would be like asking the customer to use their blower or broom to clean up debris.

nickslawn
03-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I think your question is a good one. I have only 8 yards that I trim shurbs on once a year, it would not benefit me to go by a 200-300 gas hedge trimmer. I use electric. Granit if I do in the future get more shrub trimming I will start using gas but unless you have 15-20 jobs with them go electric that is my opion.

paul vroom
03-26-2008, 07:51 PM
For my own property I bought an electric. That was 20 years ago, I had a 100' cord. When it got down to 80' I bought gas

QualityLawnCare4u
03-26-2008, 09:52 PM
It could be embarrassing if you need to ring a door bell and ask the homeowner to plug you in. Plus, some clients would probably complain about you using their resources to do the job. Go gas until they make a solar powered.

I agree 100%. This would not look professional at all. If you have clients like mine they will want you to pay them for the electricity:laugh:

Grass Tremors
03-31-2008, 09:30 PM
I agree TOTALLY with lawnpro

Maybe take up basketweaving....just kidding
good luck and GAS all the way.

grapeford
03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
I respectfully disagree with Lawnpro. This is a guy who's new to the business and is asking for advice and support, and to reply with basically, if you ask this, you shouldn't be doing this. I may be wrong, but i didn't think this was the point of this site.

kleankutslawn
03-31-2008, 09:53 PM
gas gas gas gas!!!!

green-pa
04-01-2008, 05:09 AM

How would he ever know unless he asked? :hammerhead:

lawnpro724
04-01-2008, 11:14 AM
How would he ever know unless he asked? :hammerhead:

This is a service BUSINESS isn't it? Do you call a painter and have him come over to paint and then he asks, I have the roller but do you have pads I can use? or how about a carpenter who doing a remodeling job for you and asks I have a hammer and saw but can I use your nails? Anyone who is in business or thinking about getting into it and charging for a complete service should know they need to have everything they need to get the job done without having the customer provide anything. Besides electric trimmers and extension cords look very unprofessional and don't have power enough to do much but take off new growth if that. You are right, he was asking a question and I should have given a different answer than I did but really if he did his research he should have already known. What I mean is that we provide a service for a price and the customer shouldn't have to provide us with anything even electricity. Sometimes using a customers power is a necessity but by no means should it be common place to do so.

Valk
04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
As stated before, electric hedge trimmers are VERY light and quiet...and have no exhaust fumes. If one has a few jobs where these attributes are desirable/preferable, then by all means plug in! Otherwise, gas is the way to go for power and portability.

supercuts
04-01-2008, 12:48 PM

lol, yeah... but i think it was from the standpoint of were to invest his initial dollars. my theory has always been to spend right the first time, go gas, go big, do it right the first time.

ffemtmcd
04-01-2008, 01:46 PM
This is a service BUSINESS isn't it? Do you call a painter and have him come over to paint and then he asks, I have the roller but do you have pads I can use? or how about a carpenter who doing a remodeling job for you and asks I have a hammer and saw but can I use your nails? Anyone who is in business or thinking about getting into it and charging for a complete service should know they need to have everything they need to get the job done without having the customer provide anything. Besides electric trimmers and extension cords look very unprofessional and don't have power enough to do much but take off new growth if that. You are right, he was asking a question and I should have given a different answer than I did but really if he did his research he should have already known. What I mean is that we provide a service for a price and the customer shouldn't have to provide us with anything even electricity. Sometimes using a customers power is a necessity but by no means should it be common place to do so.

So one painter can't ask another painter what the best types of rollers are?? Come on, I would critisize more if he didn't ask and used an inferior tool.

KGR landscapeing
04-01-2008, 02:16 PM
lol, yeah... but i think it was from the standpoint of were to invest his initial dollars. my theory has always been to spend right the first time, go gas, go big, do it right the first time.

thats it always get more then you ever need then you cant be let down. Id hate to be out on a job and you cant get it done because your cutting with a turd trimmer

lawnboyoung
04-01-2008, 02:18 PM
dont get electric anything

DLAWNS
04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
I agree, go gas all the way. I see the points for electric, but I could never use electric, myself.

SILVERSTREAK INC
04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
yeah for the average landscaper where your trimmers will get used now and then stick with gas......every day and i think your arm would fall off with a gasser

a guy at a very large nursery told me to always use electrics to get a nice job done, and i see why, while i worked at another big company we would sub out the bed work (trimming, weeding..etc) to this other company who only did that stuff, and they did it with electric trimmers, the stuff looked equal to the work of edward sissorhands though....