PDA

View Full Version : Dodge 5500 VS Ford F550

JohnnyRoyale
03-25-2008, 06:14 PM
We're getting pricing on a couple of trucks we need to replace, and although I've been loyal to Ford for a long time, I've heard horror stories with their last motor, and they just introduced a new diesel motor (again), and my buddy informs me Dodge has an equivalent truck with the Cummins Diesel. The Dodge actualy comes in a few grand less than the Ford, now I'm wondering what your opinions are on the two. The trucks are going to be crew cabs, with 11 ft dump bodies, 4x4, and they'll be pulling 18 Ft enclosed trailers. By the way, Dodge is pricing the truck with a PTO driven pump on the dump, and Fords quoting with electric over hydraulic (which I dont like), and they're still cheaper. I think I'm going to have them install an underhood pump instead with a diverter valve, so I can switch between dump and hydraulic salter in the winter.

P.Services
03-25-2008, 06:34 PM
and then you can run a snow plow to with the central hydro.

dirtybiz
03-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Having been a ford guy for a long time, but coming from a 06 Dodge 5.9 Cummins (after getting hosed on a 03 ford 6.0L PS), and now a new owner of a 03 7.3L F350 and most recently a 08 Ford F350, i would not consider dodge again unless ford motor was complete junk. The ford truck is far superior. If we were still talking in the 5.9 Cummins days i would say go with dodge even though the truck is not as good. However with their new 6.7 cummins they have had the most problems of the "big 3" in my opinion (however the jake brake is sweet and the new 6 speed tranny is pretty nice). Their is night and day difference between every aspect of the trucks in my opinion, and like i said after i bought my 03 and drove it around for a month or so i had to have a new one!! I still have the 06 Dodge, i won't lie it will make for a great work truck, just not a personal/work truck for myself! To each their own, but that is my $.02.

tnmtn
03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
i am in a similar position. i will be buying a med duty in the next 2 weeks. i have looked and researched them all till i am sick of the trucks before even turning the key. looked at 4300 international thought about the dodge and even considered ford. i am getting closer to the chevy/gmc everyday. i have been running a 3500 with the duramax/allsion and it has been the best truck in every aspect i have ever owned. the engine has been reliable, tranny amazing, power has not been an issue. this truck has sold me and mine is the lb7. can't imagine the later series HP and torque numbers. 3 weeks ago test drove a 4500 4wd reg cab mason dump bed. it was used with low miles. very impressed. the lower gearing won't helo at the pump but the power it has put a smile on my face. so as of now one of 2 4500's i am looking at are the leaders in my search. the 4300 although nice and great trucks won't happen. i would have buying used and the HP just wasn't there. we have a lot of hills and i have been spoiled going up them with the duramax towing.
good luck in your search,

Gravel Rat
03-26-2008, 10:51 PM
The big difference is the F-550 has been on the road for 7 years Dodge 5500 1 year. Ford has been building tough cab and chassis trucks since the 70s you can't say that about Dodge. Ford has been building a 1.5 ton truck with a 15,000lb gvw for 20 years.

The 5500 chassis and suspension will tear and rattle a Dodge cab apart. If they really designed the chassis for a 19,000lb gvw then the cab isn't going to last.

When Dodge 4500 and 5500 start out numbering Ford F-450 and F-550s I might be impressed until them it is just a over glorified 3500.

If you don't need the truck a 4x4 and you are not using the truck as a daily driver then look at light medium duty trucks example Hino or Freighliner with 19.5 wheels.

ZX12R
03-26-2008, 11:00 PM
"i am getting closer to the chevy/gmc everyday. i have been running a 3500 with the duramax/allsion and it has been the best truck in every aspect i have ever owned. the engine has been reliable, tranny amazing, power has not been an issue. this truck has sold me and mine is the lb7. can't imagine the later series HP and torque numbers. 3 weeks ago test drove a 4500 4wd reg cab mason dump bed. it was used with low miles. very impressed"

I just purchased a 2008 C4500 with the 6 speed Allison and the 330 HP motor. It has a 13 yard body on it(for mulch). So far,so good,I love the way it pulls a load.

JohnnyRoyale
03-27-2008, 12:02 AM
I dont need or want another big truck, I have a S/A Topkick, a Tandem Mack, and Triaxle Mack already. This truck is primarily going to pull an 18 ft enclosed trailer to the jobsite, and the odd time a skid steer or mini, and pick up the odd ton of material when needed or crap from the cutting crew.

I have been impartial to Ford over the years and own 4 Super Duties (250+350) as well as a Chevy 3500. The Chevy makes a nice, comfortable truck to drive, but not nearly as tough as the Ford counterpart. My F250, 7.3L Powerstroke has almost 600K on it and I beat the crap out of it daily-I do agree, Ford builds a tough truck. I dont know anything about the new Dodges, but what I do recall is that any Cummins component is A1, and any Dodge component is worth nothing. I'm just wondering if they have improved at all-enough to make the switch. I realize dodge is a virgin in the 19000# class, but didn't Ford just change their motor again, for the third time in 5 or so years? Your input is great-keep it coming.

Boycea
03-27-2008, 12:34 AM
If you are interested in the Dodge you should take a look at the class 5 trucks by sterling. They are basically beefier Dodges with better options.

Even Cut Lawn Care
03-27-2008, 12:48 AM
If you are interested in the Dodge you should take a look at the class 5 trucks by sterling. They are basically beefier Dodges with better options.

Basiclly they are Dodges with all the problems fixed....They are great trucks ive looked at them and will most likely be buying one this fall.

JohnnyRoyale
03-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Basiclly they are Dodges with all the problems fixed....They are great trucks ive looked at them and will most likely be buying one this fall.

Which Sterling are you reeferring too?

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
the sterling bullets

what do you mean by dodges with all the problems fixed? its the same frame, same motor, same tranny and just a different front end and some interior pieces. so what issues is there a problem with?

the new ford 6.4L need to have the cab removed for work done to the motor, its that ridiculously crammed in there. i love the way they look and they have a good track record, but i just see too many problems with that configuration. EGR Cooler? gimme a break.

Nozzleman
03-27-2008, 09:26 AM

Actually, they're just rebadged Dodges. Other than cosmetics, I'm not aware of any mechanical differences.

FWIW, I had several Dodges lastly being a '04 2500/Cummins. I currently drive an '08 Superduty. I will now go against the grain here and say my Dodge was tighter and had better fit and finish than my new Ford. I will agree that the Ford interior seems nicer than my Dodge. However, with 8,500 miles my Ford has more squeeks than my Dodge did in 38,000 miles. Both are tough truck's and either will do the job all day long. Personally, I'll most likely be going back to Dodge when it's time for a new truck.

dirtybiz
03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
I dont need or want another big truck, I have a S/A Topkick, a Tandem Mack, and Triaxle Mack already. This truck is primarily going to pull an 18 ft enclosed trailer to the jobsite, and the odd time a skid steer or mini, and pick up the odd ton of material when needed or crap from the cutting crew.

I have been impartial to Ford over the years and own 4 Super Duties (250+350) as well as a Chevy 3500. The Chevy makes a nice, comfortable truck to drive, but not nearly as tough as the Ford counterpart. My F250, 7.3L Powerstroke has almost 600K on it and I beat the crap out of it daily-I do agree, Ford builds a tough truck. I dont know anything about the new Dodges, but what I do recall is that any Cummins component is A1, and any Dodge component is worth nothing. I'm just wondering if they have improved at all-enough to make the switch. I realize dodge is a virgin in the 19000# class, but didn't Ford just change their motor again, for the third time in 5 or so years? Your input is great-keep it coming.

Yes ford has a new 6.4L Powerstroke engine. Dodge has a new 6.7L Cummins, and Chevy/GMC has a new 6.6L Duramax, they all had to reconfigure to meet emissions again. The Duramax received the least amount of changes of the big three, basicly just adding the emmissions exhaust/computer tweaks. The new cummins had alot of problems especially in the 07 model years, not sure about the 08 models, as i quit following them. The new powerstrokes had a few little problems when the first came out mostly leaky radiators (bad batch from their supplier), but was remied right away.
Everyone seems to love the new fords with the exception of the mpg they are getting, but if you are looking at a 450/550 that shouldn't be a concern anyhow.
Right now the duramax is probably the "most bullet proof & most unchanged" but i really don't care for their medium duty trucks as they are more of a two ton truck than they are a pickup chassis like the ford and dodge. I would consider dodge again for a work truck if the price was right, but i would make sure and do the homework on the 6.7L beforehand, and just know that the truck itself is not gonna hold up like a Ford!

Gravel Rat
03-27-2008, 12:03 PM
The biggest difference bettween the Sterling Bullet and Dodge is the service you will recieve. The Dodge dealers are not brite enough to work on a heavier truck.

Now that Dodge is on its own again I don't think it is part of the Freightliner/Sterling german company who knows what is going to happen with the Bullet.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-27-2008, 01:02 PM
The biggest difference bettween the Sterling Bullet and Dodge is the service you will recieve. The Dodge dealers are not brite enough to work on a heavier truck.

yep, thats the main reason one would go for a sterling vs. dodge. other than the dealerships working on them, they are the same the truck.

i thought 07 dodges still had the 5.9L cummins which is the safe bet and in 08 they moved to the 6.7.

dirtybiz
03-27-2008, 09:58 PM
yep, thats the main reason one would go for a sterling vs. dodge. other than the dealerships working on them, they are the same the truck.

i thought 07 dodges still had the 5.9L cummins which is the safe bet and in 08 they moved to the 6.7.

Yes the 07 Dodges built before Jan.1 2007 had the 5.9L cummins, anything built after the first of the year had the 6.7L (mid model year switch due to emissions), however their is no such thing as a dodge 4500/5500 with a 5.9L

Gravel Rat
03-28-2008, 02:35 AM
All 4500 and 5500 are 6.7 powered and no manual transmissions offered.

bobcat_ron
03-28-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm getting antsy about pricing out a Bullet with the 6 speed manual, my auto in my Ford is drving me nuts, it's not down shifting soon enough, give me a stick anyday!

KTM
03-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Why are all these company's trying to get rid of manual tranny's? I would take A manual any day in a work truck.

nosparkplugs
03-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Guys, the 6.4L has warranty issue that Ford & International are in lidigation over, and will part ways in 2010. I owend a 02 F-350 "venerable" 7.3L powerstroke, transmission went at 45,000 miles "faulty" sprag gear Ford, refused to fix the sprag gear. I went with aftermarket tranny rebuild. Local Ford dealer diesel technichins are undertrainied Ford had to "fly" in a international diesel guyro, to diagnos, and still could not fix the HEUI injectors missing on my 02, refused to fix them under warranty. I sold the truck for my 02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins ISB, The fit & finish is soild "no rattles no air leaks around door & window seals, according to LCO here, maybe not as refined as a Ford & Chevrolet or GMC. However, I can say now it has cost me the least headache & cost of ownership. Guess what the Chevrolets & Dodges share the same alignment components? so you Chevrolet guys better remember that when "SLAMMING" the Dodge. If you do decide to go with the 6.4L DO not expect to do any PM yourself, the Cab & body must be seprated, Ford & international have made jeckle & hyde monster. The Duramax is a (CGI) compacted graphite iron block, and has aluminum heads, it has gone through the most changes, and to date has gotton it right.:usflag:

mag360
03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
I sold the truck for my 02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins ISB, The fit & finish is soild "no rattles no air leaks around door & window seals, according to LCO here, maybe not as refined as a Ford & Chevrolet or GMC. :

No rattles or leaks on our '99 either but the '03 has wind noise around the front doors on the highway. I think it was fixed from '06 on up though.

dirtybiz
03-28-2008, 06:47 PM
My 06 has rattled since the day i pulled it off the lot. Took it back several times and they could not figure it out. Not saying it's a bad truck, just not nearly the truck of the ford.

cutall1
03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I would never drive or buy a dodge, chevy and ford all the way. The new f-450 power stroke engine seems to be a great new addition to fords lineup.

JohnnyRoyale
03-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Honestly, I'm leaning more towards the Ford. Firstly because I own 4 of them, and not one Dodge, secondly, my Ford dealers service dept is open 24 hours and is a commercial truck centre, the local dodge dealer isnt, and I dont know what to expect. In terms of pricing, they're close. Its the after sales service thats important to me too and I know my ford dealer will be there for me. I'm not saying the Ford is a better truck, but at least I know what to expect when it breaksdown.

mag360
03-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Honestly, I'm leaning more towards the Ford. Firstly because I own 4 of them, and not one Dodge, secondly, my Ford dealers service dept is open 24 hours and is a commercial truck centre, the local dodge dealer isnt, and I dont know what to expect. In terms of pricing, they're close. Its the after sales service thats important to me too and I know my ford dealer will be there for me. I'm not saying the Ford is a better truck, but at least I know what to expect when it breaksdown.

That's an important factor.

nosparkplugs
03-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Ford dealer here also offered that 24 "commercial Service" a very high price, $500.00 a month for that 24 hr service.

johnnybravo8802
04-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I've had the same question. I used to be a Ford fan until I bought the Dodge. Ten yrs ago, I wouldn't have even considered the Dodge-no one owns a Dodge! In 98", I bought a light duty F250 and was never impressed with it. The hood and fenders are aluminum and the Fords are still that way. Everytime I'd go to a job, I'd have a new chip of paint gone. I bought an 03' Dodge 1500 SLT and love it. It's 100 times more plush than the Ford was and feels as tight today as in 03'(100,000 miles). I also have all my paint left on the metallllllllll hood and fenders and most people think it's a new truck. At present, I haul a 4200lb.:rolleyes: tractor almost everyday and it never bobbles, even with the 4.7 litre v8. I just can't get used to aluminum trucks in a man's world

johnnybravo8802
04-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Where's the nearest Sterling dealer versus Dodge dealer for maintenance? Everyone is talking about fuel costs and then they suggest driving 1.5 hrs to a Sterling dealer. It makes no sense, especially since they are the exact same truck with a different badge. I've never heard of a Cummins having problems especially blowing up like the Fords. I've always heard Cummins is the best engine out there. I once drove Autocar dumps and operated a payloader with Cummins and you couldn't kill those engines. :nono: I new a guy who had three engines put in his F350-he blew up the engine twice in 2 wks. I think I'd rather have the occassional tranny problem versus a blown engine.

nosparkplugs
04-12-2008, 10:26 AM
The debate will continue Dodge,Chevrolet/GMC, or Ford, which is tougher?; however we have a much larger nemesis? Toyota Tundra Diesel option coming in 2010. I must say we argue/debate like siblings over American/Canadian made trucks thats beautiful:usflag::canadaflag:

johnnybravo8802
04-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I agree 100% about the Toyota. I've said for yrs. that I'd get a Toyota when they created a diesel. However, that's not until 2010-it'll take at least three yrs. until they get the prices down and the kinks worked out and then you're looking at 2013 until you can buy one. Until then, we'll have to drive the American made trucks. I drove a Tundra 1/2 ton last yr. and loved it over my Dodge but I'm not willing to pay $10,000 more on an unproven vehicle and, so far, a lot of others feel the same way. It'll probably take a lot longer than 3 yrs. to get the prices down. I ironed out the kinks on Hustler back in 98.' I was the only one in 6 counties with a 1500 and no one had even heard of Hustler. I had so many problems I traded it. I had the same thing happen with a Ferris IS 4000 in 00.' I knew the company had a good product, but because this was the biggest machine they had made to date, it was riddled with probs. I had it in the shop 10 times in 2.5 months and finally had to sell it back to the factory with only 83 hrs. I thought I was going to have to sue the company who had sold me this $13,000 piece of sh@@ and had no factory support. The last thing that happened was the flywheel actually came off the back of the 31 Daihatsu and seized the engine. I've learned the hard way about new products and changes:nono: in machinery from one yr. to the next.

salopez
04-12-2008, 01:24 PM
how are you comparing a 3/4 truck coming out in 2010 to a 550/5500 today?

Second the toyota that is coming out is going to cost so much money it will not get too much of a market share for atleast five years. personally I would not pay 10k more for the toyota over one of the big three.

Now you can look at a hino today which is owned by toyota and get something that compares to a 550/5500, but not with 4wd.

nosparkplugs
04-12-2008, 02:50 PM
The picture is much larger than a 4500/5500 truck, It's about Toyota's quest to over take GM/Dodge/Ford

johnnybravo8802
04-12-2008, 03:25 PM
The new Toyota is going to be a one ton dually with a diesel. They will have to really lower their prices to overthrow anyone. The 1/2 ton has been out for a while now but how many do you see, especially in a work situation-almost zero.

J&R Landscaping
04-12-2008, 07:13 PM
All 4500 and 5500 are 6.7 powered and no manual transmissions offered.

Maybe that way in Canada but I've driven 1 4500 and 2 5500's all with 6 speed manual trannys.

Rex Mann
05-18-2008, 12:33 PM
I just bought a 2008 dodge 5500. Waiting for the body to be installed.
It will look like this when it is done. I just had to many engine related problem with my 2005 F450 pickup. Now she is out of warranty, over 100k, I decided to go for the cummins. Three to four weeks I have it.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

johnnybravo8802
05-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Rex Mann-That's a nice ride! I too am crossed between a Dodge or Ford. I have a Dodge 1500 now and love it. I was a Ford fan until I bought this Dodge. To me, there's no comparison-the Dodge is a lot more comfortable. I've really outgrown the 1500 with the small V8-I pull a 4200 lb. tractor around all the time and the truck feels it. I just bought a Scag and would like to have a 25' goose neck that I can put my tractor and Scag on at the same time. I could probably get by with a one ton but I'd like some extra truck. The problem is that I can't afford a new Dodge. It's a dilemma.:dizzy:

nosparkplugs
05-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I just bought a 2008 dodge 5500. Waiting for the body to be installed.
It will look like this when it is done. I just had to many engine related problem with my 2005 F450 pickup. Now she is out of warranty, over 100k, I decided to go for the cummins. Three to four weeks I have it.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Yep, could have not said it better myself I too had way to many warranty issues with our 02 F-350 Dually crew 7.3L; consequently switched to Dodge 2500, and the 5.9L Cummins ISB it would suck the paint off the Ford F-350 if we had lined them up with the same load. Ford 4500/5500 owners will hate the Dodge 4500/5500 for the simple fact their is now a truck that can easily snuff their beloved Ford 4500/5500's right out

Gotta love the spicer 110 rearend it's a monster, post some pictures of the leaf springs & rear diff so folks can see how heay duty these trucks are.

Thats one sweat Dodge Cummins

TXNSLighting
05-19-2008, 12:30 PM
well if you really like the crew cab then ford is there, since dodge doesnt offer a crew cab, thats one way to look at it. My vote is the 550. that 6.4 can pull somethin fierce!

Gravel Rat
05-19-2008, 01:09 PM
The big difference is Ford will work on their trucks Dodge WILL NOT. Good luck taking a 5500 into a Dodge dealer I can bet you 90% of the dealers don't have the equipment to work on them.

Dodge just started building the 4500-5500 for the North American market they are not proven trucks yet. Now with Dodge in financial troubles etc who knows how long the 4500-5500 will be in production.

I have been driving F-450s as a daily driver for over 10 years no big deal maybe you guys that are used to a 3/4 ton think its a big deal. My current F-450 weighs 9000lbs empty and I drive it like a sports car.

The S110 isn't a heavy rear end maybe to you P/U guys it is but it is heavier than the Dana 80. The old Dana 135 used in the F-550 pre 2002 was a heavy rear axle.

I will be really curious to see how well Dodges cab will stand up being on a heavier chassis. A 4500-5500 will rip apart a cheap tin cab like Dodge uses. The 19.5 tires to start put more viberation through the truck, second the heavier springs and heavier frame.

We will see how well Dodge does but havent seen any 4500 or 5500 on the road yet either it be a Sterling or Dodge.

As for Dodge stealing Ford customers in the F-450 F-550 market that will take alot because Dodge hasn't proven to be a good truck. I was told Dodge doesn't warranty any of the driveline you read the fine print you get nothing.

With the price of diesel fuel in my area at 5.20 a gallon and climbing higher maybe by the summer it should be 5.40 gallon it will be cheaper to run a gas powered truck. I'am up to 70 dollars per hour for my F-450 I should be up to 100 by this summer :laugh: