PDA

View Full Version : Southern California lawn care business

anderson2016
03-25-2008, 07:58 PM
I am starting up a lawn care business in Southern California. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there with experience in this market? Lots of people on here seem to be from the East Coast. I see people charging $30-$50 a lawn there. However, the prices here seem to be cheaper (because of illegal immigrants?). My friend told me that they pay $10 a week for their lawn to get cut by an illegal immigrant. Any ideas on how to compete in such a market? I just cannot fathom how anyone can make it on $10 a lawn.

cpel2004
03-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah Find A New Profession.

anderson2016
03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah Find A New Profession.

One would think, that with 3 years and over 800+ posts, you could do better than that response.

cgaengineer
03-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I would think Cali would have some of the best paying clients, but I can understand the illegals part as well.

kleankutslawn
03-25-2008, 11:35 PM
try to market in more upscale areas.you will find out that in some areas,they are more illegals than in others.WE have to deal with that in my area also

anderson2016
03-26-2008, 12:51 AM
I would think Cali would have some of the best paying clients, but I can understand the illegals part as well.

Thats what I thought too. Especially, since they go year round here. I'm really surprised by the lack of people who post here from California. Seems Texas has a lot of people doing well from what I've read on here.

Sunstate Lawn
03-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Charge $9.00 a lawn and lowball the illegal immigrant.:laugh:

slandscaping
03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
no ones paying $10 to anyone for their lawn cut in SOCAL, and if so it has to be small. I know in N.Cal, primarily the bay-area has some small properties, worth $10, which take 5 minutes to cut and blow debris off. Im from the East Coast (LI-NY) i can get easily get $30 for a 70X90, southshore.

cpel2004
03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah thats my point, to ask such a remedial question about pricing, is mind blowing? DUH? Your the best one to answer that question instead of members on this forum. Why didnt you ask your friend why does he have an illegal cutting his yard, why dont you talk with other LCO's in your area. Be smart enough and figure it out. I guess if it was me I wouldnt targert deadbeat customers who wants their yard cut for 10.00. I hope that helps.

anderson2016
03-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah thats my point, to ask such a remedial question about pricing, is mind blowing? DUH? Your the best one to answer that question instead of members on this forum. Why didnt you ask your friend why does he have an illegal cutting his yard, why dont you talk with other LCO's in your area. Be smart enough and figure it out. I guess if it was me I wouldnt targert deadbeat customers who wants their yard cut for 10.00. I hope that helps.

What seems to be "remedial" about my inquiry? I searched this forum for several days off and on and did not find my question addressed elsewhere. If I missed it, perhaps you would be so kind as to point me to the correct forum, as opposed to responding with snide remarks. Surely, you are smart enough to realize the difference in the economies depending on what part of the country you are working in. $30 for a cut in your neighborhood is not necessarily going to be the same as the one in my neighborhood or anyone else's for that matter. Since you have no experience in the Southern California market, you would have been better suited to ignore the post or recommend me to someone who might know the answers, which you are clearly ignorant of. Your remarks were simply loutish.

Also, just because someone opts to go with someone who charges a lower rate, that does not make them a "deadbeat". That is called capitalism.

anderson2016
03-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Charge $9.00 a lawn and lowball the illegal immigrant.:laugh:

They can afford to charge $10 a lawn when they have 10-20 of them living together in clown houses in places like Santa Ana. Those of us who have real living expenses, and don't want to live with 20 other people under one roof, just can't undercut that cost.

I'm not going to worry about the cost though. I will charge what I feel is fair and build my customer base that way. There are tens of millions of people in the Southern California area. I'll find business.