PDA

View Full Version : CT landscapers

soloscaperman
03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't know what to put on the DMV paper. If I put commercial for the trailer I think it would cost more to register and they said suttin about April 1st you gotta renew the registration or something. Can I check off has non- commercial because I only use the trailer one day a week for now and I guess its cheaper to put it as non commercial use. Its only a 4x6 250 pound trailer with rear lights. I will be putting a 48 walker on it. Will I get busted if I don't put it as commercial use. And to let you know I don't have a lot of money now because it was a rough winter for me. I need some advice guys, thanks. p.s. why is that if you put the trailer as commercial that I gotta renew it or something on April1st. Should I just wait till April 1st or later to do this. Whats the point of going there twice in a week. Hate DMV.

Scagmower48
03-25-2008, 08:41 PM
see your other post i answers your question there

Raven386
03-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Only plates I know of for trailers is "Trailer" & "camper" plates. Didn't know they did it comm/non comm. When my buddy had his 5X8 he had camper plates on it and never had a problem...

Brian M
03-26-2008, 02:34 AM
A few years ago I was hearing a lot of horror stories about DMV cracking down on LCO's running regular trailer plates for business use. This was around the time of the big accident in Avon on route 44.
I heard they made them either leave the trailer where they got pulled over or have it towed by a flatbed.
So ever since, all of my trailers have commercial plates, the 8.5x5.5 was $40 for two years, now it's $45 for one year.
My 6x12 is $90 each year.
And my 7x18 is $140 each year, no two year reg. on a commercial plate.
They must go by gvwr when figuring the fee.
It’s costly but it's a write off.
Plus I wouldn’t want to have it towed if I got pulled over by the DMV, I think the police were also checking too!

soloscaperman
03-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks for that. Not risking it not worth it.

mielnicki
03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Can't speak for Conn. but Ohio has the same plate for non comm & comm trailers. Only difference is you pay twice the amount for commercial plates. Both the State Patrol and Sheriff's Dept have Commercial Vehicle Inspectors. Their prime mission is big trucks, but they keep an eye on all CMVs. And I know my wallet can't afford not to do the right thing.