PDA

View Full Version : getting off of the ground!

A to Z lawn care
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
hey guys im new to the site and im just looking for a couple of tips to get my buisness off of the ground. im only 13 years old but i have all the equipment i need, mowers weed wackers edgers blowers and everything you can think of. ive bee saving up for a while to get to this point but im finally here and ready to get into the industry! my uncle owns a tree company and has given me many tips and ive done everything he has said. so far i have passed out 600 flyers and im not done yet! any advice owuld be great, thanks alot,

Danny ( A to Z Lawn Care)

Harshman
03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
It really sounds like you are on the right track already. Here are a couple of tips.

Never - absolutely never - stop advertising.
Give the customer a minimum of 125% of what they expect.
Don't give up.

A to Z lawn care
03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
thanks alot i always work my hardest and do my best all the time i have about 15 peoples that im doing per week well not yet but this spring i will be and hopefully i can boost up to about double that!its really nice being my age and having $350 a week i just keep buying new equipment

stevenf
03-26-2008, 12:17 AM
$350.00 a week for 15 customers is $23.00 a cut. STOP LOWBALLING

LawnNc
03-26-2008, 01:57 AM

Hey as long as he does a good job, clears enough profit and is happy with working for almost nothing ain't nothing wrong with it! Wish all 13 y/olds had that kind of work ethic, sense and enjoyment towards life.

stevenf
03-26-2008, 02:01 AM
True, but if you lived in his area, Thats 15 customers your guaranteed not to have.

Sunstate Lawn
03-26-2008, 07:31 AM
True, but if you lived in his area, Thats 15 customers your guaranteed not to have.

Preach on brother, preach on. :clapping:

lsu03
03-26-2008, 10:23 AM
they might be small yards...;)

nickslawn
03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
thats the price of doing business. I would not like it, but he could easily be home playing on game consoles instead of out in nature and trying to make a buck. I was mowing when I was 12 yrs old. Good luck Danny

Lawn-Sharks
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Give the kid some credit. He could be out stealing your equipment or selling drugs

Elden
03-26-2008, 01:27 PM
That's pretty rough stevenf, he is 13. How do you know he is low balling. Why do you automatically assume he is?

I personaly have 9 accounts that I do for a total of $195, I drop my tailgate 2 times and it takes me about 2 1/2 hrs. The yards are between 500-1,000 sq ft. I even take time to talk to each customer, if they are home. So, $195 / 2.5 hrs = $78/hr. But if I came on here an said that i have 6 lawns I do for $20 I would be ridiculed to no end. I personally think that $78/hr is not really low balling.

Low balling is where you go to a customer and say "What where you paying before?" "Ok, you were paying $35 before, well I'll do it for $30."

Don't jump on a kid who is probly pulling his mower and equipment w/his bike. Don't call him a low baller just because you don't think he put any thought in to his priceing.

Good luck to you A to Z. I wish I was as motivated as you when I was 13.

Kiril
03-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I wonder -> when will he have time for school? Don't ever underestimate the importance of a good education.

KrayzKajun
03-26-2008, 01:42 PM
I wonder -> when will he have time for school? Don't ever underestimate the importance of a good education.

i second that!!!

A to Z lawn care
03-26-2008, 09:45 PM
i just bid and hope for the best i dont need all of that money im only 13 im trieng to save up for a car

A to Z lawn care
03-26-2008, 09:49 PM
i will easily have enough time for school i go to school until 3 oclock and come home and get right to work until it gets dark, its not easy but you have to do what you have to do... and as soon as i get home i shower do homework and go to bed. thanks for all of u that support me and i wish the best of luck to all of you and your companies!

anderson2016
03-26-2008, 09:58 PM

cue the the violin music...

BanvilleLawnCare
03-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm kinda confused, you say that you've passed out 600+ flyers yet you are 13 so you don't drive. You must live in one huge neighborhood. Anyway, keep doin' your thing, I wish I made $350 a week when I was 13.

A to Z lawn care
03-26-2008, 10:14 PM
i do live in a really big city in michigan it is aesy to burn through 400 or 500 flyers in a day that is only 3 or 4 streets

Kiril
03-27-2008, 12:40 AM
I got my first job when I was 11, and while it was not full time, it does cut into time that should be used for school or other things that kids should be doing.

Why are you in such a hurry to grow up? Enjoy being a kid, you only get to do it once in your life. I'm not saying you shouldn't have goals, goals are good. However, you handed out 600 fliers, and are going to hand out more. What happens when your "part time" job turns into a full time job? How are you going to handle that? This on top of the fact that if your bone tired, the last thing you will be doing is homework.

Throughout my 24 years of school, many of which I worked part and full time, I found the best time to do homework, and more importantly, retain some knowledge, is when your freshest, or shortly after getting up in the morning for me.

Bottom line, my advice to you is to do some work after school, but be very careful you don't get in over your head. And leave some time to get a proper education and to just be a kid.

A to Z lawn care
03-27-2008, 08:46 AM
I got my first job when I was 11, and while it was not full time, it does cut into time that should be used for school or other things that kids should be doing.

Why are you in such a hurry to grow up? Enjoy being a kid, you only get to do it once in your life. I'm not saying you shouldn't have goals, goals are good. However, you handed out 600 fliers, and are going to hand out more. What happens when your "part time" job turns into a full time job? How are you going to handle that? This on top of the fact that if your bone tired, the last thing you will be doing is homework.

Throughout my 24 years of school, many of which I worked part and full time, I found the best time to do homework, and more importantly, retain some knowledge, is when your freshest, or shortly after getting up in the morning for me.

Bottom line, my advice to you is to do some work after school, but be very careful you don't get in over your head. And leave some time to get a proper education and to just be a kid.

ok..... i understand what you are saying but i love to work i work with my uncle in th summer he owns a tree buisness and when i say i passed out 600+ flyers i have only got about 10 calls so they werent reallly successfull right now i only have 20 jobs and im going to leave it at that right now... and you cant forget either i have a buisness partner and he helps out alot...

Dennis39
03-27-2008, 08:58 AM
I Started out landscaping for someone in town when I was a little older than Danny myself. Good luck to you Danny. I am making the leap into Lawn care self employment now.