PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

TarheelTLC
03-25-2008, 10:02 PM
How do you guys keep grass clippings off the sidewalks and driveways? The grass has so much moisture that is seems to stick to the cement. If I happen to go over it with the ZTR it is there until a rain. I spent two hours at a yard yesterday just trying to get the clippings off the drive. Normally it is a 45 minute job. Water restrictions kept me from spraying the drive off. Here is the only thing I know to do:
1) Drive over the curve to yard avoid driveway and sidewalks
2) Have pressure washer and tanks on truck which is CRAZY!!!!!!
3) Bag every yard but that was what I did at this yard. The gras stuck to the deck and when going over the drive would fall off.

Does anyone else have this problem? :dizzy:

SkyCaptain
03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes. What we used to do is carry a wide broom and sweep the clumps to loosen the blades then the backpack would blow the loosened grass off. Not 100% but pretty darn close.

humble1
03-25-2008, 10:51 PM
redmax 8000 will take care of that prob

Blueribbonlawns
03-25-2008, 10:51 PM
There's a mower called a walker and it does a great job

lawnprosteveo
03-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Powerful blowers are a necessity..not only just for leaves, but this type of situation.

kleankutslawn
03-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Powerful blowers are a necessity..not only just for leaves, but this type of situation.

that is a great point.

supercuts
03-26-2008, 08:50 AM
you have a ztr and a problem?? these mowers are great, you can go forward and back up, so why are you letting the discharge side blow towards houses/decks, driveways and sidewalks?????? when you get to the end of a pass near the driveway simply do a 3 point turn keeping the discharge blowing away from the driveway. when you get close to the house, do an extra pass or two cuting/blowing clippings away from house. when your through blow clumps out with backpack. ive never heard of carring a preasure washer for this. when you're done mowing wet grass never drive across the driveway, you will leave stains from the grassy tires and it will drop clumps. simply stay off the driveway, and to reduce dropping clumps on the road, before shutting the blades off lower then raise the RPM's so some of the grass will fall off the deck prior to driving away with it.

and if your asking stupid questions and have only been in business 3 months, ask your question in "starting a lawn business"

Jason Rose
03-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Well I believe he said he WAS bagging.

And I can feel your pain... In the wet times of the year it can just be a huge mess. I don't care what brand of mowers you are using. I bag using a grasshopper and walkers, and they ALL clog up and leave green slimy piles all over the place. Frankly I just blow off what I can, the green stain left on the concrete usually just fades away on it's own in the sun, if not it gets washed off soon enough. A good backpack blower is really handy though, and a SHOVEL for cleaning up the piles left next to the truck where I empty the catcher. Also needed for scooping up the piles left on the trailer from what falls out of the deck and what I have to scrape out at every lawn.

Crap, I'm soooooo not looking forward to that time of the year!!!! Just miserable, miserable work.

THRIFTY
03-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Invest in a good blower, and while trim mowing make sure your discharging into the yard to minimize cleanup. Sometimes you might leave a little green on your customers driveways and walks its just part of the business. Just try and keep it to a minimum, and do the best you can cleaning up.

Lawn-Sharks
03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
blower, blower,blower

Valk
03-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I've used a trimmer (a time or two) at a shallow angle to remove stuck grass on concrete. Deeper angles will definitely remove it (and some fresh stains) but it can/will grind down the surface too much.

JimLewis
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I feel your pain, man. Here in Oregon wet grass sticking to concrete is a normal occurance. Rains all the time here.

SkyCaptain does it the way we do. We carry big wide shop brooms (avail. at Costco or Sams Club pretty cheap) and first we blow off the area with a strong blower (RedMax 8000) and then one guy works the broom while the other guy is blowing the area that just got broomed.

And we bag all our grass here. Mulching isn't really a good option here except in the dry part of the summer.

That's really the best you can do. But even at that, sometimes you just can't get all of it. We do our best and leave it at that. I'm not going to waste an extra 45 minutes getting every single green stain off the concrete unless they want to pay me twice as much for their service. You gotta draw the line somewhere. And if someone doesn't understand that a little green color on their front sidewalk after a mow in wet conditions is fairly normal they can go find another LCO and they can be HIS PITA. Most people are pretty understanding about this. If I do ever get a call about it (which is rare) I just explain that we do our best in the time alloted.

brucec32
03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Avoid discharging onto drives/walks, use an OCDC, consider a mulching deck, learn not to run tires over clippings on a drive, even consider hanging a bagger on the mower for tight areas if need be. Sometimes you get a spot where it can't be helped, but with experience you learn to avoid this hassle.

TarheelTLC
03-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I always discharge away from walks, drives, beds, etc. For the dude who said if I have only been is business for 3 months. You are close only a year for myself but 3 years working for my uncle's business while completing my computer science degree. I don't remember having this problem when I worked for him. I have always done jobs here and there but last year started my business fully legal. I really appreciate all the recommendations and was embarrassed for asking. I figured it would be some common sense deal that I was over thinking. I have the push broom and a Red Max EBZ7001 but it only got part of it up. I also bagged but it didn't seem to make a difference. I will continue to try reducing the number of times I cross the drive. BTW....I also do 3 point turns because my mower destroys all yards when I don't. Thanks again.

Brianslawn
03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
There's a mower called a walker and it does a great job

we get down on our hands and knees with a ruler and pair of scissors to cut all our yards. no grass on sidewalk ever! dont even need to own a blower or expensive equipment. a lot cheaper on gas, too!

nemow
03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Do you have an open trailer? If you do and you dont mind grass stains on your trailer pull up and shut the blades off on your trailer. ( I never do this but a guy I used to work with did it all the time, makes a bit of a mess and is slick stuff, but it works to keep clumps off the drive and walks) Avoid at all costs running over clumps on the drive if they do fall out. Once that stuff pancakes forget it your going to have a stain. Most of my properties are wooded at least on parcial perimeter so I will pull up to the woods turn the blades off and on a few times and the clumps will dislodge. I have front mount mowers so I can crank up the deck and actually put it in the woods but Im sure you can blow them off the lawn easy enough. If it is raining hard I carry a spackel knife and every once in a while maybe every other property I will scrap the deck clean to allow proper air and grass flow. Threw on my free trail of Fluid Film hoping that helps. PM Dano he will hook you up with a free trial can could solve your problem right there. Good luck