PDA

View Full Version : ultra vac trailer dumping

jaybird24
03-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi guys- We are getting 2 Toro Z's and was wondering how the ultra-vac dfs or qds work for dumping on a trailer. We have a dump trailer and always used pecos with no problems clearing the ramps when backing on. The toro/exmark system looks like it sits lower and might hit. I like the idea of no pony motor and the ease of taking these systems on and off compared to peco. Any thoughts?

chevytrucks84
03-26-2008, 12:23 AM
what are you asking if the toro will clear the ramps or if people like the ultravac. i love the ultravac i dont have the gds i just take the bags off and had a box built on the front of my trailer that i dumped the bags in then tarped it. that way i didn't have to shell out the $$$ for a leaf sucker. i haven't tried to get my exmark in the back of my dump trailer yet though (just picked it up the other day).

Laner
03-26-2008, 12:30 AM
I have an older (2001) Toro Z150 w/ 52" deck and the DFS. I like it, but the ground clearance is very minimal and the approach angle to back on the trailer, however my trailer may be higher than what you are using. I believe my trailer is about 22 inches to the top of the deck. I have 5 foot ramps and a 2 foot beaver tail on the trailer and it still catches on the ramps a little. Just need to be aware of the angle of the trailer when parking to unload the machine, so you don't end up digging the rear of the skid plate into the ground or on the street lifting the rear wheels off the ground. I have done this a couple times and the easiest way to get out of it is to grab one of the front spindles and rotate the whole machine around until one of the rear tires is touching the ground, hop on and drive away.

jaybird24
03-26-2008, 12:54 AM
I was wondering about clearance when backing up the ramps to dump. Thanks for the feedback. I'm guessing it may hit, just have to see when I get it since the dealer doesn't have one set up to try. Maybe I'll finally get around to getting a leaf loader box set up on the dump trailer. It keeps snowing here so I have a little more time.

Runner
03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
If it is right at the bottom of the ramp is where your concern is, you may want to make some ramps to put down under the edge of the gate for this. I built a set like this. Basically, wooden ramps, but were notched out at the top - leaving a shelf to set the edge of the gate on. I also used some metal and bent it at the angle to sit in this "shelf" at th top of the ramps. This keeps the gate from digging into the wooden ramps and tearing them up.