PDA

View Full Version : Need help with trailer coupler problem

jsw2008
03-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I was putting my trailer on the truck yesterday and the part inside the coupler that holds the coupler on the ball got caught on top of the ball. It looks fine but something seems to be wrong with it now . It will hold the ball fine, but when I unhook the trailer I have to get a screw driver and pry the little plate back out so I have hook up the ball again. Any ideas on how to fix it?? I took the whole assembly out today and put it back in again but still the same problem. The spring inside is not broken and all parts appear fine, just seems like the plate inside won't move freely.

farmboy1285
03-26-2008, 12:29 AM
You may just want to take that assembly to a trailer dealership and have them either fix it or get you a new one. I forgot to put the latch down on my trailer one day(thank god it wasnt loaded) and it came off and the tounge was wedged under my dads truck. When I finally got the trailer out from under the truck the latch was all bent up. I took it to the dealership I bought my trailer from and they sold me the new latch assemebly I think it was under $20.

jsw2008
03-26-2008, 01:18 PM
There is no dealer--I built this trailer. I've had to replace latches before on other trailers but this is a different problem than I'm used to and I'm stumped. My brother in law who helped me build the trailer thinks the body of the coupler may be bent and it's pinching the plate inside. I'm not sure that's it but I can't figure it out, so I think we're going to cut the coupler off and weld a new one on. Only costs about 35 bucks for a coupler plus the welding supplies. Probably be cheaper than screwing around with it.
Thanks for the reply.

farmboy1285
03-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Welding a new coupler on was going to be my next suggestion. I just did that on an old 4x8 trailer for my dad. If your not paying attention you can bend or break those couplers pretty easy, but Im sure you knew that. Good luck.