PDA

View Full Version : Women workers

Turf Dawg
03-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Does anyone on here hire women workers? I have one that is wanting to work for me and I am getting desperate. I have worked with many women before in a factory and some could out work most of the guys, but this was not carrying around trimmers and blowers all day. I would just like to know if you do. I am in no way trying to bash women so please don't think that I am.

LawnTamer
03-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Best hire I made last yr was a woman. She worked like a horse, was never late, paid attention to detail and had a good attitude. She is getting married and moving away, I wish she could work again this yr. I'd have her running a crew.

soloscaperman
03-26-2008, 01:42 AM
I had my girlfriend help me with a big mulch job and every hour she would say my pants are getting ruined and I have to pee, lol. ughhhhh that was the last day that she worked. Nice thing though is you get alot of people that honk there horns or handing me a thumbs up.

Budget
03-26-2008, 11:02 AM
When my wife has time she helps me out. She does it all except run the WB.

Reassurance Property
03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
My wife helps out all of the time. She is probably the best worker. Like Lawntamer said "attention to detail" She runs the walkers, trims hedges, uses a blower all day for clean-ups. not to fond of trimming though.:weightlifter:

js.lawn
03-26-2008, 11:13 AM
i have a woman working for me in the summer very good worker doent complane attention to detail does not like the big mowers but well run them she love my lawn boys senc a speed lol wonder y she like them light very good cut dont have to work to hard runnin them but all in all she does very well in my team

Lawn-Sharks
03-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I quess it could go either way for you but you need to feel that she is capeable of doing the work and not just trying to get hired somewhere and play the sexual harrassment card and sue you.. im only putting this out their because ive seen it a couple two or three time happen to unsuspecting bosses!

Weekes
03-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Beware of discrimination. IF this lady found out you had pasted this and did not hire her. Bye, bye business.

I'm not kidding, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Ever hear of equal rights and such.

If she says she can meet your requirements for work you CAN NOT discriminate. We do not live in the early 1900's. Sorry but this is basic HR stuff.

topsites
03-26-2008, 02:49 PM
So long they can do the work, that's all that matters.

Lawn-Sharks
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Topsite...What the heck is that a picture of ????? I dont know how much time ive spent staring at it ? :dizzy:

greeneyes
03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm female & I'm an LCO. I landscaped & did maintenance for 3 years and then added lawn mowing 4 years ago. I'm seriously thinking about having anyone (male or female) applying for a job to prove that they know how to use the equipment. I've hired guys that claimed they had experience and then they don't even know how to string a trimmer. I'm 5'4" and 110 lbs. & I can outwork anybody, from trimming to mulching. The only trouble I have is on one property the slope is so bad that I can't handle the belt driven wb. I'm hoping to get a hydro this year. Also, when a female starts working harder or as hard as the guys, the guys work even harder!

lakesregionscapes
03-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Female here too (husband's business)... I can run any and all the equipment, drive any and all the trucks and trailers - I'd like to think no better, no worse than any random one of the guys. Any ineptitude is due to lack of experience, not lack of ability: as in I can't mow all that well with the rider, because I've barely used it... we have a full time mowing crew, and I'm not on it. My "favorite" mower was our 48" 13 hp hydro Honda walkbehind, until it was retired. My handicap could be strength (5'5", average build), as in I will not be happy with a really heavy trimmer all day, but all day with a big backpack blower, or a smaller trimmer is no problem. What I can't do in brute strength I'll get in endurance, slow and steady all day long, and into the night if need be. When I'm with the guys I tend to be the detail person: smoothing mulch, planting, general nit-picking.
As noted above, you'll get more work out of some guys too, but only some:rolleyes:.

tacoma200
03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't discriminate. I good worker is hard to find so I wouldn't base any hiring on gender, race, etc. Sounds like they make good bosses (LCO's)as well.

cpel2004
03-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Hell give me a woman anyday my problem is I cant find any of them. They are more detailed better with customers and they usually will show up on time and bust their butts off. Give me a woman any day all aroung better workers.

Know for sunshine that's 5'4, 110 I know what your saying but I think your getting carried away. I know for sure you wouldnt out work me, in the kitchen or in the yard. I can bake, cook and clean with the best of them and i can trim all week long.(period)

wheels910
03-26-2008, 06:27 PM
man if she wants to work, hire her. women are detail oriented and should do a great job trimming and even mowing

js.lawn
03-26-2008, 06:37 PM
i said it before i have a female on my crew she runs the little crew for me and loves to do the weed pulling and the things i dont like she dont like the bigger equitment but she well run it

voglernut
03-27-2008, 01:26 AM
a couple of years ago i had a crew of 3. me and two other guys. i got so frustrated each day with them. they were lazy and slow, to my standards. i decided to make a change. i fired the guys and hired my mom. she was 62 years old then. now she's 65 and she is the hardest worker i've seen. she weedeats, mows (with a 72" mower) edges and she's very good at landscaping. she only weighs around 105lbs and is 5'4" but is a total work horse. sometimes i have to pick up the pace to keep up with her. she's still working with me today.

Landscape Maint.Services
03-27-2008, 03:00 AM
a couple of years ago i had a crew of 3. me and two other guys. i got so frustrated each day with them. they were lazy and slow, to my standards. i decided to make a change. i fired the guys and hired my mom. she was 62 years old then. now she's 65 and she is the hardest worker i've seen. she weedeats, mows (with a 72" mower) edges and she's very good at landscaping. she only weighs around 105lbs and is 5'4" but is a total work horse. sometimes i have to pick up the pace to keep up with her. she's still working with me today.

Thats funny, my mother and i also work together. She started our business in 1990 and i helped her on and off as a kid. Just this past year we joined together and got some bigger equipment and a trailer. We do this full time now and its great, good money and i see her everyday now. which sometimes is good and others :hammerhead:

heather lawn sp
03-27-2008, 06:25 AM
2 daughters
and over the years 3 on crew

They have a different angle on running their units not bad not good just different. University Phys Ed students are tough. And yes they have to pee alot, but that doesn't cut into prductivity, they plan better.

Atlantic Lawn
03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
I have an older woman who likes to give us a hand doing flowers and bed work. She does great work.

sikagrass
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Over the years Ive hired 4 and not one of them lasted more than a few days.Dang that looks bad in print. Would give another a try if I needed somebody.

JimmyStew
03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Does anyone on here hire women workers? I have one that is wanting to work for me and I am getting desperate...I am in no way trying to bash women so please don't think that I am.

Wow, I can't believe someone would ask that question in an open forum such as this. You might not want to sound like you're "bashing women" but you are. Ever heard of a little thing called sex discrimination? If someone applies for a job and is qualified and you don't hire them because of gender - can you say lawsuit? And don't spout off this crap about "I don't know if their qualified or not". How many times have you hired a male employee just to find out after a few days that they couldn't do the job? If you don't have some type of test that you make all applicants do to verify qualifications, you damn sure can't make an assumption based on gender.

Macdiesiel
03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
I have had women work for me.Most have been great workers.Although all weren't into running the walk-behinds.

AlleganyLawnCare
03-28-2008, 12:33 PM
I have 2 women that work for me. One of course is my wife. The other is her sister. But I have to tell you, out of all the guys that have worked for me, she has been the best. Pain in the butt, but definitely a hard worker. Likes to get the job done, doesn't piss around like most of the guys do.

Stathem Lawncare
03-28-2008, 08:16 PM
My wife works for me to.Out of all the guys i have hired she still wants to work harder than they do.I guess she sees that its her money too.Plus it gets her out of the house and away form the kids for awhile.

americanlawn
03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Best hire I made last yr was a woman. She worked like a horse, was never late, paid attention to detail and had a good attitude. She is getting married and moving away, I wish she could work again this yr. I'd have her running a crew.

We subcontract our mowing, but we have 8 applicators....one of which is a late twenty's female. She too is getting married (June). She also works like a horse, seldom takes breaks, and gets more lawns done per hour than any of the guys. Just like LawnTamer's gal, she's NEVER late, and she does quality/detailed work. Thank God she's still with us. My guys treat her like "one of the boys", but we all treat her like the "lady" that she is. :usflag:

fastcutter
03-28-2008, 08:56 PM
My wife help me all the time... Best help I have ever had...

Mrs. H
03-28-2008, 09:50 PM
I've only helped David in the field occationally. I can run the mowers, used the BP Blowers and weedeaters. Have yet to have an opportunity to use the edger, Parking Lot blower or hedgetrimmer. I've clean up trash, emptied cans, pulled weeds and planted flowers.

However, I'm a mild weather kind of gal, and the heat gets to me too fast. And I burn easy even with 40 block. ...so I'm a lightweight and work in the air condition making sure they have their scheduals and stuff. I also keep the garage in order, build shelves as needed and inventory.

We have hired women in the past. May I make a suggestion...and I don't know if it's discriminitory or ....I guess it could be perfectly leagal if you look at it as nepotism. But, try not to hire Husband/wife together. This has been a bad idea in the past for us. Especially if the wife starts putting in more and deserves a raise or has more hours for some reason. Just saying....

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 11:15 PM
My wife helps me...she trades working out for a fast paced walk behind a mower...she can run the hydro WB without turf tearing, trimmer, and the bp blower. She hates the TruTrak...wont get on it at all...she also doesnt like to edge.

When we show up I will usually put her on the hydro and I will do the trimming and edging and run the 21 if needed...sometimes I have to show her a few things, but she is a quick learner.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
03-29-2008, 12:54 AM
When my wife helps us catch up after a rain day, my crew knows it will be a fast paced day. I will stop and talk to customers and she will leave with the crew for the next yard. She sho does like to run them Walkers. She built a pond, swing, and patio this month. Daylight till dark!!! That's it for the wife braggin!!!!!!