PDA

View Full Version : How far along are you with clean-ups?

lawnguyland
03-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Hey there,

I'm about 25% done with my clean-ups. I started about 3/17. I will be doing clean-ups until I start weekly mowing which will be either 4/14 or 4/21.

How far along are you with clean-ups and when do you plan to start weekly maintenance?

Have fun this spring, I know I will!

Gmgbo
03-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Starting them next week

jrc lawncare
03-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Hey there,

I'm about 25% done with my clean-ups. I started about 3/17. I will be doing clean-ups until I start weekly mowing which will be either 4/14 or 4/21.

How far along are you with clean-ups and when do you plan to start weekly maintenance?

Have fun this spring, I know I will! Sure wish I had open ground like you guys do down there. Snow covering the ground in several spots here. Hoping to start in a week, week & a half.

Charles
03-26-2008, 07:13 AM
I finished all cleanups by February 5th and have been out mowing weeds. I love weeds. A big mistake to kill weeds:laugh:

ProStreetCamaro
03-26-2008, 07:17 AM
It always amazes me how many people have spring clean-ups. Out of 70 residentials we have 1 clean up to do.

CLARK LAWN
03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
havent even started them yet still have to much snow on the ground. we have alot of cleanups this year due to the snow came before the leaves drop last fall and then only let up for about one week since dec. 1

KS_Grasscutter
03-26-2008, 09:19 AM
I guess your spring cleanups are a lot more involved then what we do. I have been over 75% of my lawns once, cutting them kinda short, clean up all the leaves that were left over, cut decorative grasses, etc. Some lawns will be weekly starting next week I guess. Seems like it's taking FOR EVER to green up here this year though.

lawnguyland
03-26-2008, 05:34 PM
It always amazes me how many people have spring clean-ups. Out of 70 residentials we have 1 clean up to do.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

What do you do in march and half of april?

I REQUIRE spcus & Fall clean-ups in my contract.

No spring clean-up = no service for you, one year.

lawnguyland
03-26-2008, 05:38 PM
I guess your spring cleanups are a lot more involved then what we do. I have been over 75% of my lawns once, cutting them kinda short, clean up all the leaves that were left over, cut decorative grasses, etc. Some lawns will be weekly starting next week I guess. Seems like it's taking FOR EVER to green up here this year though.

Spring clean-up (SPCU) =

power rake (dethacth) or jrco rake entire lawn then blow out every crumb.
clean-out all beds, hand spade edges on beds, cultivate beds.
get every last leaf up
prune any hydrangeas, perennials that need it, grasses too
edge all sidewalks, etc, mow lawn
lime, fertilize, seed, peat moss, pre-emergent(where not seeded, etc)
get paid

DixieFerris
03-26-2008, 06:16 PM
If ProStreet guy has one cleanup out of 70 accounts, he is a very poor salesman. I know Maryland is different than upstate NY, but come on you certainly left money on the table. To answer the post, we are going full blast Monday with our cleanups, with about 50-60 commercial cleanups and about 150 residential. Some of my guys will start spreading mulch and be pulled off clean up crews in like 10-12 days

jpp
03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Not yet. I will be doing them next week. If the weather is nice on Saturday I will be starting some work. Calling for rain up until then. The lawns here are not even close to even needing any cutting.

JP

TREEGUARD
03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
we have been blastin out the clean-ups since st pattys day had a few bad weather days but allready did 28 this week

SchultzLawnCare
03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Probably week and a half or 2 weeks up here. almost all the snow is gone but have to wait for the snowpiles to melt. Then wait about a week or so to let it dry up. Dont want all those roots in the lawn :]

AL Inc
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM
We got out on 3/17 as well. Weather has been OK but a bit windy. Need some warmer temps to get the phone really ringing. So far picking up some new customers and starting to get busy, this season is looking better than I expected.
Not doing great on the equipment end, though, replaced a wheel motor on my Stander already, yesterday 13 Honda on one of my Little Wonders blew, and today cracked the head on my back-up Little Wonder. So much for squeezing another season out of them! Good luck this year guys!

bigw
03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
With all the rain we have been getting i have just started my clean ups this week and have been going 10hrs a day all week and still have about 15 more to go and am still getting lots of calls for mulch and clean ups,have 2 estimates in the morning.

KrayzKajun
03-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Been doing cleanups for about a month now, been cutting weekly since March 1st.

grapeford
03-26-2008, 09:34 PM
We use 2 Walkers with tine de-thatchers, rake, edge, clean-out beds, fix any plow damage. Zippitty doo. The weather around here has been good, cold, but good.
You never when you're gonna get 4-5 inches of snow and set you back for a week. The key to a good spring clean-up, is a good fall clean-up.

lawnguyland
03-26-2008, 09:38 PM
We got out on 3/17 as well. Weather has been OK but a bit windy. Need some warmer temps to get the phone really ringing. So far picking up some new customers and starting to get busy, this season is looking better than I expected.
Not doing great on the equipment end, though, replaced a wheel motor on my Stander already, yesterday 13 Honda on one of my Little Wonders blew, and today cracked the head on my back-up Little Wonder. So much for squeezing another season out of them! Good luck this year guys!

Me too- I'm a little ahead of last year-bought my first stander last week, but am using the wb 4 clean-ups- don't want to destory new mower!

...it seems late, but it's still early...

when is spring?

maybe a little rainy thurs/fri

when do you guys start weekly?

Reassurance Property
03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
waiting for the snow to go away. It just won't warm up here!

Whitey4
03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
I HATE spring cleanups for new accounts. I'm a solo, and these new accounts are a freakin mess. Three years of pine needles in the beds under ornamental weeping evergreens, nightmares behind garages, overgrown vines, I've had some that took me five hours bustin my butt.

Spring cleanups are worse than fall cleanups on new accounts. Leaves under the deck, beds that are like concrete because they were never turned, hand pruning neglected shrubs... I'm 75% done now.... and looking forward to my pre-M ferts. The upside is that once I get done with a property, at least half of the new customers now want to talk about plantings and mulch.... the profit makers. They see their property start to show it's potential after an immaculate cleanup... and they get stoked, it seems. I hate it, but if I do it right, it always seems to lead to more business... the profitable extras.

lawnguyland
03-27-2008, 06:29 AM
I HATE spring cleanups for new accounts. I'm a solo, and these new accounts are a freakin mess. Three years of pine needles in the beds under ornamental weeping evergreens, nightmares behind garages, overgrown vines, I've had some that took me five hours bustin my butt.

Spring cleanups are worse than fall cleanups on new accounts. Leaves under the deck, beds that are like concrete because they were never turned, hand pruning neglected shrubs... I'm 75% done now.... and looking forward to my pre-M ferts. The upside is that once I get done with a property, at least half of the new customers now want to talk about plantings and mulch.... the profit makers. They see their property start to show it's potential after an immaculate cleanup... and they get stoked, it seems. I hate it, but if I do it right, it always seems to lead to more business... the profitable extras.

I remember long ago when I'd get a new customer and the grass was overgrown up to 6" over the edge of the sidewalks because the walks hadn't ben edged in years. That seems rare now. New customer clean-ups can suck tho!

Atlantic Lawn
03-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Finished all of our regular cleanups last month, have already put out a couple tractor trailer loads of mulch. We still pick up one time cleans but all of our regulars are done.

MOW ED
03-27-2008, 07:07 AM
0% complete as of 3-26-8. Last year at this time I was out getting a tan and making lots of dust. I still have piles where the plows pushed that are 8-10 feet tall.
I did snowblow my front yard to get the snow off the grass and hopefully by next week it will be dry enough for me to start. Lots of potential money to be made but as always we wait on the weather. You southern guys are killing me.

mexiking
03-27-2008, 08:07 AM
i'm halfway done up here in NJ, will start to seed once I'm done in April. Started around March 12. :)

ProStreetCamaro
03-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Whaaaaaaaaaat?

What do you do in march and half of april?

I REQUIRE spcus & Fall clean-ups in my contract.

No spring clean-up = no service for you, one year.

We do mulch jobs and fert but our lawns are never dirty in the spring to require a clean-up. The only reason we have one to do this spring is because a friend subbed it out to us.

LwnmwrMan22
03-27-2008, 08:43 AM
We do mulch jobs and fert but our lawns are never dirty in the spring to require a clean-up. The only reason we have one to do this spring is because a friend subbed it out to us.

I'm with you ProStreet. Out of the 35 commercial properties I do, 1 or 2 will need spring work done, as far as TURF cleanup.

Yes, there'll be mulch, yes there's fert to put down, but as far as cleaning grass and landscape, we had a late snow last year so it's done this spring.

As far as anything done......

Well.... I still have 12" of snow on my yard.

J&R Landscaping
03-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I started clean-ups last week. Have a few more to finish from returning customers and have a couple that have just been booked this season. If all goes as expected, mowing should beging by the second week of April!

ponyboy
03-27-2008, 09:24 AM
started on 3/17 had 3 bad days we got 83 done and still another 220 or so to go. I am happy it is still cold it give mw till the 3rd week in April to start cutting and doing pre m i see people putting it down now but they are just wasting $ unless they are doing two apps of it. I will not mulch untill mid aprill i feel it fades and people get upset so about 2 solid week of c/us then 1 week of scaping then business as usuall chemicals,mulch cutting and 1 crew scaping

BMFD92
03-27-2008, 09:46 AM
We have a quarter of my cleanups done. I had to put down 33 yards of mulch for a customer because they had an easter party. We have had some windy days which don't help.

lawnwolf
04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
What about branches that have fallen and leaves that have blown from neighboring properties?

mowerbrad
04-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I haven't even started yet. Last year at this time I had already started and almost finished all of them. This year I am hoping that it will be dry enough and nice enough (no more snow) by next week. Then I've got about 2 more weeks after that until I start doing weekly mowing.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-01-2008, 06:22 PM
I take as I get them becuase I'm new. Been pretty busy with power raking, aerating, bed cleanups, etc. I'm getting a whole lot of people who request it to be halfassed so it will be cheaper. I give somewhat of a discount but still do a pretty good job because I'm trying to build some customers. It snowed real hard a couple days and its sticking around for now.

lawnguyland
04-01-2008, 06:56 PM
all right- now I'm about 60% done!

LwnmwrMan22
04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
We got another 8" of snow yesterday.... Do y'all think that helps with cleanups??

Still hoping for that April 21-25 startup.

The Green Barber
04-01-2008, 10:37 PM
This is my first year in business. What is included in spring clean-ups? what machines do you use? do you roll the lawns, de-thatch, and how do you price the jobs out. I'm located in Buffalo, NY, is it time to do spring-clean-ups? I have had a couple request for lawn rolling. how do you price them? How heavy of a roller do you need? Please any info helpful