PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of Toro T bars in making turns?

SoloSulkySurfer
03-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Just purchased a 32" WB with the T bars. When messing around in the yard it seemed to be difficult to make your turns while overlapping and not tear up the grass. When using a mower with pistol grips I generally pull back slightly with the mower de cluthced while making my turns therefore overlapping effectively. Is it just me? I know I need more practice on this machine but this is what I noticed so far.

wiseguyslawn
03-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Bought the same mower last year. Extremely nice unit. I know what you mean though it takes some practice runs to get used to it. When turning do not force the one side down all the way ease into it. You can adjust the linkage also for the controls for sensitivity. Usually i would a make a perimeter pass then make wider turns and theres no problems. You will love this mower though

brucec32
03-26-2008, 05:57 PM
The more narrow decks are always going to be harder to make tight turns in since your radius of turn has to be tighter. I have this mower. When you finish a row you should steer opposite the direction of turn a little, then swing back the other way making a cul-de-sac before heading back down the other way. You'll need to leave plenty of room on the ends of rows to make a turn like that. If room is tight you'll have to three point it. A pain, but the mower is fairly light and if the steering is adjusted right you can return it to neutral with your fingertips, use one hand on the bail to keep it from dying, and just yank it back with the other. This doesn't work well pulling uphill, of course, so think it through. On flat ground or backing downslope, I just use my thumbs crooked around the T bar while I use my fingertips to pull backwards on the rest bar in front of it. Note. If your brakes are set wrong (trial and error mostly) it will be a bear to roll and almost not have a neutral at all.

You can set up turns on slopes so that you are always turning uphill (start at the bottom and mow up), then the weight of the mower will reverse itself if needed after you've pointed the nose uphill, to make a 3 point turn in tight spots. And even imperceptible inclines are usually there, so if possible work it so if you're having to back the mower up at all you're doing it downslope, not uphill.

It's another thing that you pick up as you gain familiarity with the machines.

The key is when possible use the momentum of the mower rather than fighting it.

If you are doing tiny lots with constant turning in tight spots, consider a hydro or be prepared for a nice workout.

kleankutslawn
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
it takes practice but i like that machine

SNAPPER MAN
03-26-2008, 08:04 PM
This is the reason why I sold my tbar and bought a cubcadet commercial pistol grip 32

LindblomRJ
03-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Practice. It gets better. Also try keeping both wheels rolling too.

ed2hess
03-27-2008, 01:40 AM
This is the reason why I sold my tbar and bought a cubcadet commercial pistol grip 32

Yes, interesting I thought that should be a problem with T-bar but nobody ever brought it up in five years of reading on lawn site.

LindblomRJ
03-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Yes, interesting I thought that should be a problem with T-bar but nobody ever brought it up in five years of reading on lawn site.

I have not had a problem with turning. I am guessing something wasn't done right.

Frue
03-27-2008, 07:56 AM
do not lock the turning wheel. Start the turn and then when you are ready to lock let go and pull back on it real quick. It is very easy.

Atlantic Lawn
03-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Yea, it's all in how you start the turn. Just takes some getting use to.

MOW ED
03-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Its like anything new, a little practice does help. My wife uses the Toro t-bar and loves it. Its a hydro unit so no shifting. It makes the unit much smoother and quicker to turn. She rides on a proslide. She became an expert within a day. There is no way I would try and teach her pistol grips but I know some of you guys love them.
I have a Walker and I have a Toro Z. 2 different control mechanisms but I learned to master them both. I think with a little practice you should be doing fine.