PDA

View Full Version : Phone calls

lawnworker
03-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Has any body noticed that calls are way down this year. I have run adds in the paper that normally get some calls, but the phone is really quiet. These adds cost 100.00 for ten days. I have ran them four times hoping to get people lined up early. Maybe I am jumping the gun thinking people will call before the grass is two feet tall. For me, because I have spent money on other business ideas this winter, it is a lot to keep paying out for no return. I think the economy and drought from last year is effecting the potential base of customers What are your thoughts out there?

zz4guy
03-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm guessing because we've had a long brutal winter and spring is coming late. People don't think about spending money on the lawn when it is still 40-50 degrees for a high.

mowman84
03-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Its not to bad around kansas. At least for me.

wheels910
03-26-2008, 09:49 AM
yeah, but look at gas, housing, and peoples retirement plans, 401k. everything down. May have more self cutters that usual because of the economy. Most people strapped for cash will start cutting out extra "luxury" services. At least I do.

SoDak
03-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Here in South Dakota it has been slow as well. We sent out 1000 fliers a week ago and not one phone call. The forecast calls for 4"-6" of snow for tomorrow. I'm hoping that is what is keeping people from calling.

THRIFTY
03-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't know about others, but I don't receive the majority of my calls until the grass starts growing. I have received calls this year already, but no more or no less than previous years. If I were you I wouldn't be running newspapaer ads when the grass isn't growing unless it was a postcard or flyer. Not many people are going to hold onto a newspaper ad when thier is no work needed to be done at the time, where areas a postcard or door hanger is easy to store away until service is needed.

YoungGun
03-26-2008, 04:17 PM
have not recieved anycalls from flyers

word of mouth is the way to go i have picked up about 3 accounts from just talking about my company In the gym

pick up a few more from people last year who said something like i would love to hire you but i signed this contact thing already!

and i just joined a BNI group which got me 1 commercial account and a clean up in just 2 weeks!

topsites
03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah idk what's going on

DixieFerris
03-26-2008, 06:17 PM
we have passed out about 1000 brochures this season, and I agree it has been slow in response. I have only gotten about 50 phone calls looking for estimates, about half of those for mowing and the other landscaping. But they will all call in April, they always do and I will politely tell them "See you in the end of May"

Charles
03-26-2008, 06:48 PM
One call since the first of March off my ad. Some regulars putting me off too. Spring has been late for the past 3 years and now you add a sinking economy/high gas prices. Of course the IRS wants its payment and quarterly estimate April 15.. Which I don't have yet. Very stressful time of year

Jpocket
03-26-2008, 06:49 PM
It seems to be slow going around here too, Im officially 'out of the business full time' but I am still well known and listed in our phone books. Not that I want people to call I just kind of expected it. ZERO calls for ANYTHING. Surprising, I figure I would atleast get a call or two a week, eventhough I don't wan them.

jpp
03-26-2008, 06:50 PM
I have gotten 3 calls from my ad. Did not get one and just bid on the other 2 today. Long winter here and once things get growing, I think the phone will be ringing.

JP

TREEGUARD
03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
the phone has been quiet here as well i had to let 1 gut go allready because of lack of work. I think it's going to be a slow year in '08

Uranus
03-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Things are good here. Getting about 3 calls a day. I picked up 4 new accounts so far. Things are just getting going up here. My free newspaper ad is going good, got a new ad going in another paper this week, but the responses to my direct mailer this year was low. 7 estimates with only 2 new account off 600 mailers. I'm happy with things so far, but hear that things are a little slower at some of my buddies companies.

Dave_005
03-26-2008, 07:47 PM
around here i will put out my flyers on april 1st, most residentials here dont start calling until the middle of april when thier grass needs its first cut. accounts from last year have all reconfirmed for this year, but dont expect any new call till around the middle of april

ffemt1271
03-26-2008, 08:12 PM
i signed up 4 this week, and got 3 more leads

LushGreenLawn
03-26-2008, 08:32 PM
I've only had a couple of calls this year. I'm getting a little nervous. The grass is growing sooner for us, it needs mowing now! In the past few years I have started cutting April 1st and the forst two weeks were slow.

The past two years we have had alot more calls in by now, and I'm spending alot more on advertising this year. Hopefully it will pick up. I'm going to saturate with door hangars over the next two weeks.

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Its slow here too. I usually get numerous calls by now. I think I have got 3 so far.

smcunningham
03-26-2008, 10:44 PM
I've picked up 2 new customers this week and 4 last week........Booked solid for the next 2 weeks doing mulch, spring cleanups and landscaping projects.
Two tree jobs on the schedule and on top of that I'll probaly mow about 40% of my customers next week........looks like I'll be back two the 7 days a week thing ma bober.....all yeah I've worked everyday since last saturday.......w/ 5 estimates to go and look at........1 tree job, 2 mulching jobs,1 aerate and over seed and a lawn to give a price for.:cool2:Looks like I'm back to work. Thank the Lord cause we ain't had **** for snow removal.