PDA

View Full Version : Does grass cut affect growth?

jcp_3
03-26-2008, 10:16 AM
All things being equal...if you cut further up or down the collar during your normal visit, will that cause the grass to re-grow faster, slower, or the same?

In other words if you normally cut the grass at 3 1/2" and during a normal week it would regrow say an inch so you are now back at a height of 4 1/2".

Now during that same week you cut a portion of the lawn at 2 1/2". Will that section regrow at the same rate (1 inch) or by cutting it lower has it hindered the regrowth thereby causing it to grow faster, slower, or the same?

The reason I am asking is that it is pays monthly, and as long as it's kept up it's at my discretion on how frequent I cut, so the less frequent the more benificial to me.

FYI-Right now I'm averaging every 10 days and usually every week in the
summer. Its very humid. I'm cutting an old cemetery in southeeast Louisiana. It's mostly St Augistine grass, but clovers are what comes up 1st and grows higher and faster. They do not use fertilizers. I've been cutting on lowest possible setting I can at 1. 5 inches.

I appreciate any info!!! Thanks!!!

Paulup
03-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Down in "tha parish" you could let the grass get a foot tall before anyone would complain :laugh:

Seriously I don't have a surefire answer to your question, common sense would tell me that it all grows the same rate, but if you cut it too short you could hurt the grass. Where in Saint Bernard are you working? I assume all of the grave sites are above ground, is it usually soggy there? If so, cutting it short would allow the sun to dry up the ground a bit better, thus less water for the grass to grow with.

SoDak
03-27-2008, 11:15 AM
All things being equal...if you cut further up or down the collar during your normal visit, will that cause the grass to re-grow faster, slower, or the same?

In other words if you normally cut the grass at 3 1/2" and during a normal week it would regrow say an inch so you are now back at a height of 4 1/2".

Now during that same week you cut a portion of the lawn at 2 1/2". Will that section regrow at the same rate (1 inch) or by cutting it lower has it hindered the regrowth thereby causing it to grow faster, slower, or the same?

The reason I am asking is that it is pays monthly, and as long as it's kept up it's at my discretion on how frequent I cut, so the less frequent the more benificial to me.

summer. Its very humid. I'm cutting an old cemetery in southeeast Louisiana. It's mostly St Augistine grass, but clovers are what comes up 1st and grows higher and faster. They do not use fertilizers. I've been cutting on lowest possible setting I can at 1. 5 inches.

The collar is the growing point of the grass plant, so if your cutting the collar then chances are you are going to kill the grass plant. Since I don't think you are actually cutting the collar based on your listed cutting heights I think you are safe because you are actually just cutting the grass blade, not collar. If you are cutting below recommended heights for a particular grass species, especially all at one time, then you will severely stress the turf and it will grow slower, because it will have to recover from the shock of mowing it too short.

Generally factors that affect turf growth rates are: fertility, available light, soil conditions, moisture, temperature, time of year, etc.

SoDak
03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
turf stress = turf decline = weed infestation = loss of customer

Marcos
03-27-2008, 11:44 AM

Geez.
Sounds like some real premium real estate you're working with there !!
:cry:

I'm surprised that after a given amount of time of that abuse, that nothing but weeds exist in that cemetery.

Any 'newbies' on this thread wanting to know about proper mowing height in 'normal' customer turf situations should tune out of this thread now !!

Tider6972
03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
St Augustine should be cut at 3 1/2 - 4 inches. You're damaging it at 1.5 inches.

nmurph
03-27-2008, 12:24 PM
are you sure that your measurements are correct????? you would be scalping st augustine at 1.5in, literally............