PDA

View Full Version : some questions about "making it legal"

RLS24
03-26-2008, 12:01 PM
I am looking to start up a small business here in my area (western NY) and I have a few questions.

First, is it too late to actually start a business for the season? I know its almost April, but theres still snow here and I'm not sure if its too late to start advertising or if I still have a chance to pick up some customers.

Second, how does it work with like registering your business and such? Do I have to go to my local town hall and get a permit to do landscaping in the town? Do I have to register with the IRS so they can take my money (lol)? And for taxes, do people usually like claim everything or do they do like half on the books and half off the books to avoid paying a ton of taxes?

I was also thinking about trying to get a job with a landscaping company for this summer just to see how things work before I go out on my own. Would you think this is a better idea? Thanks for the input!

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Since your just starting out then yes i would work with a LCO around your area first so you can get a feel of how things work. But also depending on your time you can always start it up on the side. Cut on weekends if ya aint gota work. Advertise put out door hangers,flyers,etc etc. the best is word of mouth hands down. Remember its about quality work that gets the customer coming back season after season not quantity. good luck

Lawn-Sharks
03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
I think it would be better for you to work for someone first not only will you get the training but you will get a better idea what to charge and also how the marketing end of it works

theguynextdoor
03-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm starting a landscaping business in amherst. I started with plowing over the winter. Yes you do need a landscapers permit for amherst. It costs 35 dollars per year, and you need to show you federal tax id number to prove you are registered. You can just go apply for a dba or you can set up an llc/inc. I think i might just do dba for the first year since i only have about 20 residential or so.

As far as on the books....the people that i have known for a while and have done their lawn since i was a 12, cash = no sales tax and i put it in my personal account sometimes. Otherwise you need a business checking account to deposit payments. I would get an accountant...i would not attempt doing the taxes on this myself.

RLS24
03-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm starting a landscaping business in amherst. I started with plowing over the winter. Yes you do need a landscapers permit for amherst. It costs 35 dollars per year, and you need to show you federal tax id number to prove you are registered. You can just go apply for a dba or you can set up an llc/inc. I think i might just do dba for the first year since i only have about 20 residential or so.

As far as on the books....the people that i have known for a while and have done their lawn since i was a 12, cash = no sales tax and i put it in my personal account sometimes. Otherwise you need a business checking account to deposit payments. I would get an accountant...i would not attempt doing the taxes on this myself.

I live in amherst too. want to hire someone for this spring/summer/fall?

theguynextdoor
03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I live in amherst too. want to hire someone for this spring/summer/fall?

Sorry, but I don't have enough work to get another person. I'm just doing it on the side while I am going to UB. I don't like being a poor college student. I bet you could find someone to work for though. Try GREENVIEW TEAM LANDSCAPING. They are a huge company and their website says they're looking for people I think. Good luck

Roger
03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
....or do they do like half on the books and half off the books to avoid paying a ton of taxes?

......the people that i have known for a while and have done their lawn since i was a 12, cash = no sales tax and i put it in my personal account sometimes. ...

Thanks for these kinds of business management practices. You enable me, plus many others who operate above board, to be able to pay the taxes that you choose to ignore. It is a pleasure to pick up the slack left by those who choose to operate apart from the tax laws of our land.

daveintoledo
03-27-2008, 05:09 PM

great another illegal operation... get legal or get the hell out...

RLS24
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
ehh, I dont think cutting a few neighbors lawns for a few bucks when you're 12 or 13 is a big deal, but at some point i would have to say you should make it a legit business.

KGR landscapeing
03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
great another illegal operation... get legal or get the hell out...

dave relax theres lot of houses and companys to cut between you and new york. insurance is the big one. i could care less about u paying tax the goverment is falling apart anyway. but when u and ur clunker wreck somelady taking her kids to school or ur mower throws a few rocks ull be done for good.

Roger
03-27-2008, 05:45 PM
KGR ... what does the location of somebody's business, and the houses to cut between Toledo and New York have to do with the matter? Why does your assessment of the government play a role in paying the taxes the law requires?

KGR landscapeing
03-27-2008, 05:54 PM
KGR ... what does the location of somebody's business, and the houses to cut between Toledo and New York have to do with the matter? Why does your assessment of the government play a role in paying the taxes the law requires?

he made it seem like the lowballer non legit person in newyork was effecting him and his company. even thou hes like 6 hrs away. and i was stating that insurance is more important than taxes. not that taxes arent important there just not as important

Roger
03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
.... and i was stating that insurance is more important than taxes. not that taxes arent important there just not as important

Obviously, you have not had an encounter with the IRS. You have greater fear of the insurance folks than the IRS? Really? Perhaps you haven't had an encounter with those who pay the taxes that are legitimately owed either.

I don't get it. The citizens demand more and more services from the government. But, some folks feel they are entitled to utilize the services, without paying for them. I'm the first to stand in line to require services supplied without waste and in the most efficient way. Often, that does not happen. But, that does not give me the license to ignore my lawful duty to pay what is owed. Why do some folks, apparently KGR included, feel it right to skip out on their lawful requirement? Why do those same folks expect others to pick up the slack because of their failure in payments? What are the solid reasons for this approach to running a business, and to manage personal finances? Remember, "I don't want to," does not qualify as a solid reason. Nor, "everybody else skips out too," does not work.

daveintoledo
03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
illegal operations effect us all, not just on a local level.. im paying his share of the taxes plus mine.... thats crap....

get legal or get out.... period... thats not so much to ask , is it.. really, think about how the shoplifter effects retail price, the lowballer drags down the prices for theentire industry,

to me its all the same either your a law breaker or your not....

KGR landscapeing
03-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Obviously, you have not had an encounter with the IRS. You have greater fear of the insurance folks than the IRS? Really? Perhaps you haven't had an encounter with those who pay the taxes that are legitimately owed either.

I don't get it. The citizens demand more and more services from the government. But, some folks feel they are entitled to utilize the services, without paying for them. I'm the first to stand in line to require services supplied without waste and in the most efficient way. Often, that does not happen. But, that does not give me the license to ignore my lawful duty to pay what is owed. Why do some folks, apparently KGR included, feel it right to skip out on their lawful requirement? Why do those same folks expect others to pick up the slack because of their failure in payments? What are the solid reasons for this approach to running a business, and to manage personal finances? Remember, "I don't want to," does not qualify as a solid reason. Nor, "everybody else skips out too," does not work.

see with the internet i cant tell if ur attacking me saying i dont pay taxs. cause i do have since i was 14 1/2 thats when i started working on the books. And i am saying that insurance is important for the people who you did the wrong too. See what happens when you put somebody in a wheelchair or kill somebody. all the hard working people pay taxes so the people who are to lazy or too dumb to work can suck money out of the goverment. On a personal level i think insurance is more important then taxes anyday of the week. thats all i am saying

theguynextdoor
03-27-2008, 10:50 PM
I am going legit now, am in the process talking to my accountant and what not. I did a few lawns for family friends or neighbors that I know very well. Those (2 or 3) people that I know well and are friends with my parents and myself, pay me in cash and always have. Other than that I charge tax and pay taxes on everything. I don't lowball or anything. I'm charging those people normal price. I have insurance and and will be completely legit by monday. Before this, I didnt do lawns for anyone but those few people I knew.

I'm sure everyone else on here that started mowing lawns before they were 16 was totally legit mowing the neighbors lawn. We all started that way. Now that I'm doing this for real, its all legit.

I AM NOT A LOWBALLER, I DO PAY TAXES ON THE MONEY I EARN AND THE ONLY BUSINESS I TAKE AWAY FROM OTHER LCOS IS BECAUSE I DO A BETTER JOB AND THOSE FEW PEOPLE I HAVE WORKED FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS HAVE SPREAD THE WORD TO OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT THE WORK I DO. I DIDNT PAY TAXES WHEN I WAS DOING THIS AT AGE 15 AND NEITHER DID ANY OF YOU. NOW IM 18 AND AM RUNNING A GOOD LEGIT BUSINESS.

Green Team Landscaping
06-06-2008, 11:39 PM
it's never too late to start. and lus any lawns you get, is just bonus for next year

JOhanthegnarler
06-07-2008, 08:29 PM
You guys and your false sense of american tax paying pride. Paying federal tax is unconstitutional. They have no right, and neither does the Federal Reserve or Irs. They are the biggest frauds in the history of probably the whole known world. I didn't mean to bring any kind of tax paying debate, but go educate yourselves and see the real truth.
Being a college student myself and using the lawn business as my only income to pay for school.. i think its absurd to see just how much of my hard earned money goes into the pockets of other people that don't need it or deserve it.

Ps.. what really hurts.. i don't qualify for any school funding aid! I make too much to get aid, and not enough to pay for living expenses and school! Then the federal government takes like 25% away.. add insurance to that.. the occasional helper on random landscaping jobs.. maintenance.. fuel..

But i do enjoy this work, i enjoy working for most of my customers, and i'm very greatful for what I do have and plan to get within the next year.

NO LOWBALLERS PLEASE! These are the reasons why us little people are hurting!