PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Charge

millenium_123
03-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Just wondering what you guys think about this. I have a $25 minumum charge, which means I won't mow, or even show up for less than that. Does anyone else do this? But then what do I do about the teeny tiny yards that take 10 mins?

lawnwizards
03-26-2008, 12:38 PM
i think minimum charges are a waste of time, unless you are very well established and can afford to turn jobs down. until you reach that level, the minimum is out the window. as for the little jobs, price them to make money. thats the best way.

jaybow
03-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Just wondering what you guys think about this. I have a $25 minumum charge, which means I won't mow, or even show up for less than that. Does anyone else do this? But then what do I do about the teeny tiny yards that take 10 mins?

Last year my lowest was $20 for teeny tiny and this year I have uped this to $22.My base price for average size residential yards in my area is $25.And larger lot size is usualy $30.But unless someone is an absolute cheapskate I hate to pass up work.

kleankutslawn
03-26-2008, 12:54 PM
i have a $25 dollar minimum,and was just thinking about going up to thirty.

landscaper22
03-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I think everyone needs a minimum. What lawnwizards says is true, however. You need to price jobs to make money. But, you have to start some where. I look at the minimum as a "showing up to the job fee". It covers....well showing up. For me to get out of bed and crank my f-250 up and drive it to your house cost me money. You have to pay for that in addition to the time it takes me to service your property. The minimum covers my travel time and includes a very small amount of work. The fees go up from there. My opinion is, established or not, you have to get a certain amount for your trouble of showing up on the job. That amount will vary by area, but $20 is not enough, regardless of the area of the country you are in.
Again, the one exception being if you offer a neighborhood discount for having several lawns together without moving your truck. This saves you time and money, and you can charge a little less per per as an incentive for the neighbors.

shane mapes
03-26-2008, 01:05 PM
all depends on how much work you have in a area . if i have say 10 yards pretty close to each other i can justify lower rates . but like it has already been said , if you are very well est. then you can do what ever you want and pass up work just because you have a min. i look at what i have around there and go from their..

jaybow
03-26-2008, 01:07 PM
i have a $25 dollar minimum,and was just thinking about going up to thirty.

Yeah rates are different depending on where you are at.You may want to increase to $27 or $28 to try and beat anybody else thinking of the same increase in your area.

IN2MOWN
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
$35.00 here but I will make exceptions for $30.00.

tilawn
03-26-2008, 05:44 PM
20 here in my area. except for an area i have 18 duplexes in one unload spend 1.5 hrs there so i only charge them 18.00 per service.

Danielslawnservice
03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
i have a yard that i have to do that's just a 10'x 10' slot that i charge like $10 but the spots next to it are HUGE were i charge $30 and up....

Charles
03-26-2008, 06:28 PM

I had a minimum of 25$, 17 years ago. The price of gas was under $1.00 and most everything else was cheaper..
You have not to look at it as teeny 10 minute yards and look at the bigger picture. You are running a seasonal business. No one pays you to maintain your equipment or go buy parts or take your equipment to the shop. You have drive time and loading and unloading time. You have to insure your equipment and maybe your business/business license cost and pay self employment tax. You have to do billing and collecting and selling and estimating and on and on

Reassurance Property
03-26-2008, 06:45 PM
I have a minimum charge for little lawns. I tell the client that I like to do there lawn, but in order to make money on top of travel, and expenses I have to charge this, however, if they can get more people around there to sign up then I can lower the price because I am in the neighborhood!

ffemt1271
03-26-2008, 08:14 PM
i have 1 that is $30, but it is next to another one i do, all others are $40 +

landscaper22
03-26-2008, 08:23 PM
I had a minimum of 25$, 17 years ago. The price of gas was under $1.00 and most everything else was cheaper..
You have not to look at it as teeny 10 minute yards and look at the bigger picture. You are running a seasonal business. No one pays you to maintain your equipment or go buy parts or take your equipment to the shop. You have drive time and loading and unloading time. You have to insure your equipment and maybe your business/business license cost and pay self employment tax. You have to do billing and collecting and selling and estimating and on and on

Thank you! Finally someone sees what I have been preaching. See this is the kind of attitude that keeps you in business for a long time. I don't know why more people can't see the light. The area I live in has a lower cost of living than probably 70-75% of the United States, so if this $20 per cut crap is too low for my area, then it is too low for about all of the country.

millenium_123
03-26-2008, 09:58 PM
This makes sense to me, that is why I think its necessary to have a minumum charge or else you don't make any money. However, getting the homeowners to understand this is a different story.

landscaper22
03-26-2008, 10:14 PM
This makes sense to me, that is why I think its necessary to have a minimum charge or else you don't make any money. However, getting the homeowners to understand this is a different story.

I know what you mean. I had a lady that I serviced her relatives yard and charged $40. She thought I would charge her $20 because her yard was only about half the size. It is difficult sometimes for them to understand. Actually many of them do understand. But the ones that do not want to understand this concept are the same ones that I probably don't want as customers anyway.