PDA

View Full Version : commercial help

Mike M
03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Okay;

I just got back from the county office, they heavily govern development along this main corridor, and they want me to do a powerpoint presentation and submit site plans. They were really nice and want me to give them more info on low-voltage lighting, etc., and they are even waiving an application fee for me.

The road was raised, and now the building is in a gully. Their lights are old, broken, and stupid. They want a new sign, renovate some plants/trees, and new lighting.

The county doesn't approve much accent lighting, but some. My plan is vertical illumination, especially on columns, a new sign in the center of the triangle area above the entrance, and the palmetto trees.

The bushes along the wall are wax myrtles, and frankly, the county will not likely okay illumination of the long wall. However, I'm thinking of removing some screen material (wax myrtles) in segments, and putting in a couple patches of crepe myrtles to illuminate (maybe one set on each wall). Hopefully, I can illuminate enough plant material to form a "bridge" across the span.

I plan to use all Unique fixtures for this one. Any recommendations or additional ideas?? I am planning on doing a demo, too, for the owner.

JoeyD
03-26-2008, 04:48 PM
I like the idea of uplighting the columns for sure. Par36 would be my choice with either a narrow spot lamp or a linear spread lens to tighten the beam in. I would then put a light in each peak including the big one in the middle and the 2 dormers. Probably Probe OSM in White on Sphere Bases. As for your sign you could do something like this...http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/_MG_4672.jpgto upligh the sign they put in. Just an Idea. As for the plants Par36 w/ 20w or MR16 uplights like the Pulsar or Intrepid would be good. I like frosted lens in all my lights. You will be able to figure placement when you demo the job. If you decide to uplight those palms in the front I would back light all of them.

Hope this helps, I am sure you will have lots of good ideas thrown at you and I am sure your demo will help you figure out the rest.

Joey D.

Mike M
03-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks, Joey, do you have a pic of back-lit palms?

I was thinking three lights on each, one for the trunk, two for the canopy.

JoeyD
03-26-2008, 05:52 PM
If anything you would cross light them leaving a "striping"effect on the trunk. But backlighting them or leaving the trunks dark will allow you to provide depth thru to the front of the building. Plus every schmo out there front lights everything. Back lighting or striping the trunk just leaves a nice transition to a front lit building or structure that is placed behind.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/DSC_0035.jpg
This is a demo photo that has backlit palms to create the depth I was describing.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Commercialphotos010.jpg
This photo Used Curtesy of Randy Smith of Entropics Lighting has some back lit and striped palms.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/DSCN1908.jpg
Some other striped palms.

I am usually told to provide photos w/o Palms so this is a nice change. I have hundreds of palm photos.

Mike M
03-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks, Joey.

I attached a pic where I was striping shorter palms for a recent demo. When you said backlighting, I wasn't sure if you meant directly on the palm or silhouette against a wall wash.

For this commercial application, I'd like to protect the fixtures ash in-grades, maybe covered. Landscapers broke the previous lights on stakes.

The county does not like a lot of accent lighting, so I may have to limit the job considerably. I plan on a demo that hits a lot, and scale back in stages to show the need for variance in light levels and bridging.

Mike M
03-26-2008, 10:16 PM
forgot pic

JoeyD
03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
That is a great photos Mike. Shows exactly what i was trying to describe of letting the plant be highlighted without competing with the home int he background! Very nice!

Let me know if you need anything.

Joey D.