PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Germany!

Patrick1984
03-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi,
my name is Patrick,I'm 23 years old an I live in Heidelberg,Germany.I'm a landscaper and I work in a company with 5 employees.I've got some questions about landscaping in the States.I'm planing to work in another country for a year or even more.What are the chances to get a job in the USA as a "foreigner"?How much money can be earned by a skilled worker?I have a 3 year lasting completed vocational training and for the last 4 years I've been working as an assitant.I work hard and I'm really motivated because I like my job and working with construction machines.

Thank you in advance.

Patrick

Grassmechanic
03-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Depends on what part of the country you are going to. Many parts are slowing down and not hiring, others are doing good.

Critical Care
04-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Hmm... my wife just came back from Europe and got to go through Heidelberg. At any rate, I think that with the current value of the dollar being so low compared to the euro you could certainly afford to be here, but along with this comes less money earned on the job compared to what you probably make earning euros in Germany. I don't know how many euros the typical landscaper makes in Germany, but I'm afraid that you would probably take a hit here in the states once you convert dollars over to euros.

Patrick1984
04-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi,
thanks for the answers.I haven't been here for a while so I've just seen your reply right now.Well here I get about 1300 euros which is about 2000 dollars.I don't know if this is much in the States but here it's just an average income.Maybe I'm gonna travel to the States and see what it's like being there.I think this could be a quite interesting experience.

Thanks
Patrick

Critical Care
04-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Lets think about this. If you work 40 hours a week, an average of 172 hours per month, and got paid 2000 USD that would mean that you were earning $11.63 an hour. That is actually pretty close to what you could expect to be paid here in the US. If you're quite skilled in landscape and irrigation, and can lead a crew, then I certainly would expect that you could get more.