PDA

View Full Version : you guys with Walkers, Navigators, QDS Exmarks, and other dump from seat mowers

03-26-2008, 08:58 PM
I am looking for ways to get around having to get off the mower each time to empty bags. Alot of mowers have a dump from seat option, but they just puts the clippings on the ground, unless you have a Hi-Dump Walker. I am trying to think outside the box for a quick solution to dumping from the mower seat, and getting it into a leaf/debris box.

I am thinking of putting a hopper on a trailer, and have the hopper hooked up to a debris loader, and just dumping into the hopper.

I think this would be really efficient if you had electic start on the debris loader, just add a remote starter button on it right by where your mower would be when your backed up to the hopper, dumping would go like this:

Back up to hopper
Push button to start debris loader
Dump clippings into hopper
Clippings get sucked through hopper and into leaf/debris box
Shut off debris loader
drive off trailer and back to mowing, never got off mower to empty bags, etc...

I think this would work good, anyone else try it yet?:confused:

03-26-2008, 09:05 PM
here's a bad drawing of what I mean:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/livelifedaily/hopper.jpg

Reassurance Property
03-26-2008, 09:24 PM
your lazy!! by the time you do all of this I will have dumped my clippings, started my vacuum and loaded the truck. I like your thinking outside of the box but I just don't see the need for this one. If you do it let me know how it works!

03-26-2008, 09:34 PM
your lazy!! by the time you do all of this I will have dumped my clippings, started my vacuum and loaded the truck. I like your thinking outside of the box but I just don't see the need for this one. If you do it let me know how it works!

So do you find that quick to just dump it on the ground and suck it up?

I am just looking for the best way to do it because I will have days that are bagging all day, with lots and lots of dumps, just trying to figure out the fastest way.

Do alot of guys just dump it in a pile and suck it up last? or if its windy then suck it up after each dump?

Reassurance Property
03-26-2008, 09:38 PM
just dump it in the driveway unless it is not paved. It only takes a second to suck it up off a hard surface. and usually you have two guys on the job and one will finish a minute or two before the other one.

Reassurance Property
03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm assuming that you have a truck loader?

03-26-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm assuming that you have a truck loader?

nope not yet. I will need one this year, so I was thinking of getting it early to suck up clippings. So many places here require bagging it's just crazy.

Reassurance Property
03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
If you get a truck with a dump bed or a trailer with a dump bed and add a truck loader, it will be one of the best purchases you make. The truck with the dump bed is nice because you can get into different areas (especially in the fall) and not have to run your mower so far to dump the leaves. What I did my first couple of years was find another lawn company that has one and see if they would be willing to pick up your piles. You have to pay them of course but it sure makes the job easier!

03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
So do you do alot of bagging and dump it near the loader and just suck it up? do you think it would be faster at all to have a hopper like I was thinking? If the button was within reach you wouldn't even have to get off the mower.

Reassurance Property
03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
It really does not take that long to dump it and suck it up. If you could make something inexpensive to do what you are talking about I would say do it. However, I think that it would take a lot of money to do it and the amount of time saved would be minimal and take years to pay off. Just for a little convenience. Im not saying don't do it. just putting in my two cents. If everyone who had an idea didn't do it because someone didn't like it. where would we be today??:usflag: God Bless America!

03-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah I have a shop and would only need to buy some steel, heck most of it would be scrap, total cost would be about $25(other then the truck loader I am getting) and some time. I am gonna have some time into building some other stuff on the trailer anyways, so I can try it out anyways.

I guess the main thing I am worried about is if it will plug the hose of the truck loader if I dump a load of grass clippings into a hopper? I am looking at the Billy Goat DR1800V - Its 18hp and has debris deduction. That or the HTR1803V << its also 18hp, but not the good debris reduction as far as i can tell. The second one is $600 cheaper...

Which model do you have?

tallimeca
03-27-2008, 12:23 AM
but not cost effective.

Plus, you would still have to get off the seat. Navigators dont' have the power dump. Walkers do offer it as an option ($$$). Plus, you'd have to get off to start the loader.

If you are cutting that big of lawns, this style machine probably isn't the best option and you should get a Z with bags you can take off and dump.

03-27-2008, 12:29 AM
but not cost effective.

Plus, you would still have to get off the seat. Navigators dont' have the power dump. Walkers do offer it as an option ($$$). Plus, you'd have to get off to start the loader.

If you are cutting that big of lawns, this style machine probably isn't the best option and you should get a Z with bags you can take off and dump.

Tallimeca-- what do you think about this idea with using the QDS system on a Lazer? The cost for the hopper is almost nothing, just a little build time, I need to purchase the debris loader anyways.

grassaholic
03-27-2008, 12:54 AM
I think your idea is pretty cool, but I also think the tube will clog. I've got a cab forward Chevy/Isuzu W4500 truck with a 23hp Billy Goat vac mounted to the chasis behind the cab. It blows the grass into a box I made on a 10ft. dump bed directly behind the vac. This system has worked really well for me so far and can hold alot of grass. My one complaint is the vac can and will clog with wet grass. When the grass is wet you have to be carefull not to suck too much grass at one time or it will clog. When the grass is dry it works great. I think if you dumped a whole load of grass into a hopper [like in your drawing] it will be too much grass at once and clog. To do what you've drawn would require an industrial vac like municipalities use to suck up piles of leaves at the curb. Those dudes have 50hp or more! I'll see if I can get a pic of my rig tomorrow and post it for you guys.:drinkup:

jdmcat
03-27-2008, 02:02 AM
We just dump the grass onto a tarp and two guys throw it into the truck when we're done. It takes 2 whole seconds. I guess that's not an option though if you are solo. If I were you I'd just do like the others have said and dump it in a pile and suck it up. It seems like with your idea the tube would almost certainly plug up, plus the catcher on the walker is a couple feet off the ground so your hopper would have to be fairly low.

Reassurance Property
03-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I think that it will most definitely plug the tube. I have the 18HP Billy Goat and it will plug sucking up a pile of damp grass if i take too much.

03-27-2008, 12:54 PM
ok thanks for the replies guys :drinkup:

bhepp344
03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
You can buy thease bins for the walker they fit right in the box and you can just slide them out and dump in the truck. A bit expensive 125 each, but for Hon Solo days its worth it.