PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Operating Exmark WB

lil_cote_93
03-26-2008, 10:04 PM
K, today i did my lawn for the first time with my brand new exmark metro 32
When cutting front lawn (small, residential) I did one big strip around, then i was doing 180 degree turns, the wheel that i would lock while turning would tear a huge piece of grass almost every time.
is there anything else i can do?

I know im a n00b. but oh

thanks guys

sandman23
03-26-2008, 10:28 PM
You need to do a "K" turn or three point turn. Pivoting on the inside tire will always tear the turf. Try to keep both wheels moving. Do a search and you will find many examples on how to turn. It won't take long before you catch on.

SNAPPER MAN
03-26-2008, 10:36 PM
The easiest way to do it is when you are going to turn pull the lever of the brake you would use half way up in neutral and then pull back while letting the other wheel to continue to rotate. It is very easy.

Danielslawnservice
03-26-2008, 10:45 PM
You need to do a "K" turn or three point turn. Pivoting on the inside tire will always tear the turf. Try to keep both wheels moving. Do a search and you will find many examples on how to turn. It won't take long before you catch on.

same goes for Zturns once u get one you'll get used to doing a "k" turn. i cut a cemetery and there are loads of turns i could do that cemetery if i was asleep:sleeping: u might want to practice on a patch of pavement if u leave a skid mark than u'll tear up grass especially if it's the first time and the grass is not thick....

Grits
03-27-2008, 12:07 AM

That's kind of tough to do with a belt drive.

lil_cote_93
03-27-2008, 02:14 PM
sorry, im not familiar with the term "K turn" what is it exactly?
also, any one have a link to a thread where this was talked about. very sorry guys, im a noob

Lawnut101
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
That's kind of tough to do with a belt drive.

Just what I was thinking. Just cut a few strips at either end and make a bit of a wider turn, keeping the inside tire spinning. It may take longer, but you won't have ripped up patches.

kevinlane
03-27-2008, 07:45 PM
I have the ex metro 32. I've used it almost a year now. The easiest way to do your turns is just take it slow. If you're whippin around in 3rd or 4th gear you'll always tear grass. Just have to adjust your speed with your turning levers. So far I've had no problems with the metro. Hasn't lat me down yet. Keep in mind the advice is what works for me, everyone is different, you may find a better way, or another method that works better. Just keep cutting and you will get comfortable with turns in no time. Good luck.

sandman23
03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Grits, I agree completely about belt drives. Pulling 600 lbs backwards will certainly take a toll on you. After a season of that you will be looking for a hydro.

Kevinlane, here are a couple links. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=52182&highlight=turning

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39063&highlight=three+AND+turn

DLAWNS
03-27-2008, 08:10 PM
I have the same mower and at this point am pretty used to it, but it definitely still happens on wet or thin lawns. I can't wait to get a hydro, I'm tired of the belt drive.

MOWEMJEFF
03-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Do a second perimeter cut and make wider turns till you get the hang of it. Whenever your on hills turn up the hill and let gravity bring it back down when making k turns. The biggest thing is just make sure the inside wheel doesn't come to a stop. And keep practicing on your own lawn!!!!!!!!

Cedar Valley Landscapes
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
You can easily do a three point turn with a gear-driven walkbehind. It does take a couple of weeks to get used, but then it becomes second nature. I used to just grab the brake lever when I first got mine but then finally found out how to do it the right way. All you have to do is pull up on the brake lever and find the neutral position, which is when the wheel doesnt move forward with the gears but doesnt lock up to where you cant move it. I normally drive the machine with one or two fingers inbetween the brake lever and the grip, so when I pull up on the brake I know that is the neutral position. This way you can pull back on the inside wheel, while the other wheel turns with the gears. The main part is to find where the neutral position is one the brake lever.

JRS Landscaping
03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
You can easily do a three point turn with a gear-driven walkbehind. It does take a couple of weeks to get used, but then it becomes second nature. I used to just grab the brake lever when I first got mine but then finally found out how to do it the right way. All you have to do is pull up on the brake lever and find the neutral position, which is when the wheel doesnt move forward with the gears but doesnt lock up to where you cant move it. I normally drive the machine with one or two fingers inbetween the brake lever and the grip, so when I pull up on the brake I know that is the neutral position. This way you can pull back on the inside wheel, while the other wheel turns with the gears. The main part is to find where the neutral position is one the brake lever.

^ exactly i ran a 48 lesco belt for 2 seasons so happy i bought the hydro the 32 exmark aint bad though when you get to the bigger decks its harder

M&SLawnCare
03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
32 and 36 you'll be able to put the inside wheel in neutral and pull it back yourself without much trouble. That's the quickest way i've found to turn it and it should get you into shape a bit :) Also to make it easier, lock your inside elbow and lean back a little. Use your weight to move the machine some rather than all muscle if its wearing you out.

You could always cut a few perimeter strips and just make wide turns if you want too or K turns. I use all three but the first method takes the least amount of room and is the quickest from my experience.

freshprince94
03-29-2008, 12:45 AM
lil cote:

Sorry to go off topic but your Uncle Rico avatar is hilarious.

lil_cote_93
03-29-2008, 07:24 PM
lmao, its my personality in a nutshell.
thanks allot for all the advice guys. glad i can get good help on here without getting chirped. Now i just got to wait till the grasss starts growing.

Cedar Valley Landscapes
03-29-2008, 10:46 PM
One thing I forgot to add too, is to practice the three point turns on concrete or asphalt first. This will allow less resistance on the wheels then it would on turf. Like I said before once you get used to it, it will become like second nature to you.

CFB
03-29-2008, 11:18 PM
I have a bobcat gear 48 as my backup unit, and I only use the pull back method in tight yards where I need more control of the machine. Never had any sort of problems tearing up turf just pivoting on the inside wheel on open turf.

CFB
03-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Oh and I adjusted my brake tension rods for the brakes, so there was a "sweet spot" in between full brake and no break, where the tire would basically be in neutral and could pull it back.

KGR landscapeing
03-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Oh and I adjusted my brake tension rods for the brakes, so there was a "sweet spot" in between full brake and no break, where the tire would basically be in neutral and could pull it back.

thats what i do on my belt you have to find a spot where the brake is ON where its off and when its in drive because if u only have to places go and no go you be chasing the thing all day long. you will have wishd u got the hydro