PDA

View Full Version : Lowballing

A to Z lawn care
03-26-2008, 10:41 PM
ok, now this is really bothering me i do 15 jobs a week and make $350 which is 23$ a house now u tell me im 13 years old and trying to save for a car do you think im lowballing? apparently some people do so i want more oppinions,
thanks,

anderson2016
03-26-2008, 10:48 PM
ok, now this is really bothering me i do 15 jobs a week and make $350 which is 23$ a house now u tell me im 13 years old and trying to save for a car do you think im lowballing? apparently some people do so i want more oppinions,
thanks,

If it is a good price for you, then don't sweat it. This site seems to have a lot of people who like to take shots at people. I won't speculate at the reasons. I made one post and I got someone making rude comments to me too.

Just think about the money you are making while you are out cutting your lawns and how "those" people are sitting in front of their computers yelling at you for "lowballing". I'd rather have $23 in my pocket for work than $0 in my pocket for griping online.

Keep up the good work.

mowerhands
03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
If your lawns are real close together it might be ok. 23 x 15 is actually $345. Don't sell yourself short.

Uranus
03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I can beat your price by 10%. let me know who I can steal from you.

PerfectEarth
03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Look- this is the reality of the situation. Let's see.... at 13 you probably have no insurance costs, no tax costs, no SALARY costs, no payroll, no worker's comp, little to no real fuel costs, no business license costs, no applicator's costs, little or no office costs.... you get the drift. It's not about "being yelled at" for lowballing.

A to Z lawn care
03-26-2008, 10:55 PM
ya i understand im just trying to get my buisness off of the ground before i start charging more i have all the equipment i need right now. just got a new mower for the upcoming season whent out and did some advertising got about 7 more jobs for the spring... i think thats all im going to be able to fit into my schedule with school ill do 4 lawns a day maby less i have no idea ill figure it out haha and thanks alot guys

A to Z lawn care
03-26-2008, 10:56 PM
no uranus you cannot beat my price i can guarentee it and if you do then all your doing is loosing money.....

lawnman_scott
03-27-2008, 07:56 AM
no uranus you cannot beat my price i can guarentee it and if you do then all your doing is loosing money.....Dont worry about some idiot yelling because you mow a few yards. Sure you dont have the expences we adults will have, or the responsabilities. But you know, the guy complaining will probably go home at night and complain about how lazy kids are nowadays. Not many 13 year olds would even try to do what you are doing, dont waste another minute worrying about it.

A to Z lawn care
03-27-2008, 08:40 AM
thanks alot man

GreenN'Clean
03-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Do what you feel is right and if it pisses other people off then thats there problem.

larryinalabama
03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
350 per week at 13 GREAT JOB

Don M.
03-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Kudos to you for being 13 and working instead of sitting in front of a WII.

Lawnut101
03-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I think some guys on here don't realize that some people won't pay more than $20-25 to get their lawn mowed. They shouldn't call people that mow those peoples houses lowballers, it's just that they are trying to satisfy a different market. Last year I mowed houses for around the same price as you, but I had a lot less expenses then. Now that I'm 18, legal, and have insurance and stuff, I won't touch any lawn for less than $40, unless they are really small or right next to a few of my other ones. I think that your doing a great job, and you should have a solid business by the time your my age. Keep up the hard work.

Dominicano
03-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Dont worry about some idiot yelling because you mow a few yards. Sure you dont have the expences we adults will have, or the responsabilities. But you know, the guy complaining will probably go home at night and complain about how lazy kids are nowadays. Not many 13 year olds would even try to do what you are doing, dont waste another minute worrying about it.
Ditto! Well said Lawnman scott.

Marek13
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
look around to see what others charge, try to set your prices accordingly to your area -I started when I was 16-with 21 inch Craftsman mower and trimmer I charged 25 $. Than I bought a WB, few blowers truck trailer aerators ... you see the trend-with minimal costs of overhead you might swing it but once you start investing and growing you might find yourself working for free.
Some clients pay top $ and want everything done and hauled away and they wonít even look at part-timers with pick-up truck and 21 inch on the back.
Other want to get a lawn cut and nothing else-there is a client for everyone with different requirements.
A word of advice. If you charge 23 now, you are setting yourself in that price level raising the prices drastically for any reason might result in loss of accts

mowing grass 1111
03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
thanks,
just tell them if it bothers them so much .. they should get into another line of work were a 13 is not their competition... its not your fault they decided to get into a unskilled trade that any monkey can be taught to do:). if i was you i would lowball the whole town and steal all their clients:laugh:

A to Z lawn care
03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
thanks for the advice

Uranus
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
no uranus you cannot beat my price i can guarentee it and if you do then all your doing is loosing money.....

:drinkup:<-root beer. Here's to a good year. :drinkup:<- (this one is beer and it's for me) I turn down jobs all the time when I cant get my price. JK about that last comment. I get almost double that average for my cuts.

I wish I had half the motivation you do when I was your age. Keep on making money and stay in school.

A to Z lawn care
03-27-2008, 08:49 PM
:drinkup:<-root beer. Here's to a good year. :drinkup:<- (this one is beer and it's for me) I turn down jobs all the time when I cant get my price. JK about that last comment. I get almost double that average for my cuts.

I wish I had half the motivation you do when I was your age. Keep on making money and stay in school.

cool and thakns

grassyguy
03-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Do it as long as it makes you money. Raise your prices when it doesnt. If you told some lady her yard would be 40 dollars to mow. And I pulled up with my truck, trailer, crew, and tons of equipment, and told her 40 dollars. Do you think they would choose a 13 year old. Im not slamming you but my point is you are doing exactly what you need to do at your age and experience. You will raise your price as you increase experience and age. Good luck this year. Hope you make tons of money. I hope my boys will have your motivation. I had a friend who started at your age. When he was 18 and getting ready for college he was making 15,000 in one summer. that was in the early 90s. Have Fun!!!

A to Z lawn care
03-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Do it as long as it makes you money. Raise your prices when it doesnt. If you told some lady her yard would be 40 dollars to mow. And I pulled up with my truck, trailer, crew, and tons of equipment, and told her 40 dollars. Do you think they would choose a 13 year old. Im not slamming you but my point is you are doing exactly what you need to do at your age and experience. You will raise your price as you increase experience and age. Good luck this year. Hope you make tons of money. I hope my boys will have your motivation. I had a friend who started at your age. When he was 18 and getting ready for college he was making 15,000 in one summer. that was in the early 90s. Have Fun!!!
thanks good luck to you too

Lawnut101
03-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Totally irrelevant, but where in Michigan are you? I was born in Saginaw.

DEEREBOY14
03-29-2008, 10:48 AM
dude i am 15 and i dont now how much to charge

A to Z lawn care
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
im am near Detroit how about u?

tsi guy
04-01-2008, 10:22 PM
when I was your age I used to get 6 to 10 dollars a yard so heck ya your doing real good. Just think alot of people don't get 23 a hour at there job

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
04-04-2008, 02:01 AM
thanks,

Any 13 year old that's working hard in this economy and saving for that hot rod of tomorrow...I give you two big "thumbs up"!! America, if we really, truly are honest with ourselves...is all about "lowballing" to get business. I'll mow your yard for $45, the next guy says he can do it for $35, you come by the house and say $23. You win! That's how the game of life is played. I'm proud that you're wise enough to even ask the question. You've got what it takes to make life work for you instead of the whiners who complain about your wage. $350 at your age? That's big time money! I know adults who couldn't make that sum if they're life depended on it. If you can pay for the mower and pay for gas and still have some money in your Levi's 501 pocket after the day is over...you're a successful 13-year-old American businessman.

A to Z lawn care
04-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Any 13 year old that's working hard in this economy and saving for that hot rod of tomorrow...I give you two big "thumbs up"!! America, if we really, truly are honest with ourselves...is all about "lowballing" to get business. I'll mow your yard for $45, the next guy says he can do it for $35, you come by the house and say $23. You win! That's how the game of life is played. I'm proud that you're wise enough to even ask the question. You've got what it takes to make life work for you instead of the whiners who complain about your wage. $350 at your age? That's big time money! I know adults who couldn't make that sum if they're life depended on it. If you can pay for the mower and pay for gas and still have some money in your Levi's 501 pocket after the day is over...you're a successful 13-year-old American businessman.

thank you, that pretty much clears things all up for me and i appreciate it

P.Services
04-06-2008, 01:19 AM
a-z do you have that name registered to you?

A to Z lawn care
04-06-2008, 01:21 AM
a-z do you have that name registered to you?

no how do i do that?

P.Services
04-06-2008, 01:23 AM
i think some one all ready has it because i talked to a homeowner today that said a-z mowed their lawn i thought it might have been you.

A to Z lawn care
04-06-2008, 01:25 AM
i think some one all ready has it because i talked to a homeowner today that said a-z mowed their lawn i thought it might have been you.

well im only 13 so i have a small range of where i acn go i only am in about a 10 block radious right now until i get my lisence and can expand more right now i have about 25 accounts.

WETSCAPE
04-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Wait until the illegals in your hood find out.

A to Z lawn care
04-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Wait until the illegals in your hood find out.

..............haha what is up with u and illegals lmao

WETSCAPE
04-06-2008, 01:37 AM
It s killing the landscapers future. Hard to be legit and make some money if you had to pay taxs insurance etc. Why do you ask? Your doing the same thing....
:weightlifter:

grassyguy
04-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Sure. He has crews of illegals working for him making him millions and taking your jobs, at the ripe old age of thirteen. Chill Out.

A to Z lawn care
04-06-2008, 01:40 AM
It s killing the landscapers future. Hard to be legit and make some money if you had to pay taxs insurance etc. Why do you ask? Your doing the same thing....
:weightlifter:

ya i guess your right but i eventually am going to have to pay taxes and everything wen i turn 18 and they never will........ there isnt really many illegals in my area its all legit buisenesses making an honest living...

A to Z lawn care
04-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Sure. He has crews of illegals working for him making him millions and taking your jobs, at the ripe old age of thirteen. Chill Out.

ya... thanks i agree

WETSCAPE
04-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Exactly what I mean. Now what if god for bid this 13 year old gets hurt then what? Do the parents "chill out". He is playing with power equipment. Oh that right its OK:dizzy:

WETSCAPE
04-06-2008, 01:46 AM
What no answer for that?

A to Z lawn care
04-06-2008, 11:30 AM
What no answer for that?

no i was just sleeping. who are you ""a grown man"" to be sitting on here criticizing me? when i just sit here i think to myself........... dont you have anything better to do?? i must admit its pretty sad. and im not stupid with my equipment either ive been using it since i was 7 so y dont u lay off and get a life.

ALC-GregH
04-06-2008, 12:07 PM
I agree, your 13, keep at it but be very careful. One question, what will happen if you take out a clients windshield on their BMW with a rock while your mowing? They can cost upwards of $500 or more to replace. Or you hit the persons child with a rock while their playing and take their eye out. You can't hide from these problems if they occur. Will your parents bail you out of something like this? I'm not trying to sound negative, just be careful.

A to Z lawn care
04-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I agree, your 13, keep at it but be very careful. One question, what will happen if you take out a clients windshield on their BMW with a rock while your mowing? They can cost upwards of $500 or more to replace. Or you hit the persons child with a rock while their playing and take their eye out. You can't hide from these problems if they occur. Will your parents bail you out of something like this? I'm not trying to sound negative, just be careful.

ya i know but i know what im doing ive been working with my uncle who owns a tree company for almost 5 years usually all i do is cleanup and stuff like tht but he taught me almost anything i know and what to do and what not to do. so thanks for the advice but i think ill be alright........

WETSCAPE
04-06-2008, 09:33 PM
no i was just sleeping. who are you ""a grown man"" to be sitting on here criticizing me? when i just sit here i think to myself........... dont you have anything better to do?? i must admit its pretty sad. and im not stupid with my equipment either ive been using it since i was 7 so y dont u lay off and get a life.

Sorry I hurt your feelings. I forgot you are only 13. :drinkup: (have a coke).
*trucewhiteflag*

HVC
04-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Liability insurance is a must regardless of how experienced you are. Your parents are legally responsible for you so they will have to pay for damages. Windshield is one thing but an eye is another. The plaintiffs attorney will rip you, your parents and customer into millions of pieces!
Even though you are 13, you may not have to pay income tax but I believe you are still reponsible for paying self employment tax (Social Security) to the IRS. I have been paying into social security since I was 14.
All I am saying is CYA!

mlyons1
04-14-2008, 11:59 PM
keep up the great work a to z not many kids can get away from the video games or even go outside to play keep it up buddy and good luck.

GrassQuester
04-15-2008, 02:12 AM
If you do put someones eye out your parents are in deep @$@#$, however if I was making $350 a week when I was 13 I would continue doing so.

bamafan192069
04-15-2008, 02:17 AM
i try and make 75 dollars an hour, so if i can get a house done in 30 minutes i charge around 35 dollars. now i have fast stuff to mow with so if you are using a push mower then it might be a little different for you. but yeah your doing ok.

mngrassguy
04-15-2008, 06:40 AM
I have to agree about the insurance dude. I'm guessing your uncle would make sure you Mom n Dad are covering their/your arses. It's not expensive but it's a must.

I'm not sure about collecting/paying sales tax in Mi Again your uncle should know about that.

Keep up the good work and good luck!!!

BTW, ever get to the Woodward Dream Cruz? What a blast!!!

lifetree
04-15-2008, 06:45 AM
If it is a good price for you, then don't sweat it. This site seems to have a lot of people who like to take shots at people. I won't speculate at the reasons. I made one post and I got someone making rude comments to me too.

Just think about the money you are making while you are out cutting your lawns and how "those" people are sitting in front of their computers yelling at you for "lowballing". I'd rather have $23 in my pocket for work than $0 in my pocket for griping online.

Keep up the good work.

Sounds like good advice to me !!

A to Z lawn care
04-15-2008, 08:46 AM
I have to agree about the insurance dude. I'm guessing your uncle would make sure you Mom n Dad are covering their/your arses. It's not expensive but it's a must.

I'm not sure about collecting/paying sales tax in Mi Again your uncle should know about that.

Keep up the good work and good luck!!!

BTW, ever get to the Woodward Dream Cruz? What a blast!!!

yep go to it every year! and yes it is a blast!

LwnmwrMan22
04-15-2008, 09:50 AM
A to Z -

Keep up the good work. I started when I was 16 and now gross over $140k per year working solo.

Enjoy yourself, have fun with it when you're young.

I will say the same as others though. Talk to your parents about getting a general liability policy. Shouldn't be more than $600-1,000. If you bust a window or something worse, it'll be a cheap cheap cost.

I know your uncle told you what you should and shouldn't do, but accidents are called accidents for a reason, not "on purpose".

I've broken windows with mowers, trimmers and blowers. It doesn't take much, just the right rock at the right angle.

But keep going with the work.

mngrassguy
04-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I left a down spout off a house once. Flooded the basement. $3000.00 in damages. Never remove downspouts. Mow around them and weed-wip.

americanlawn
04-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Congrats A to Z...........It's guys like you that our Founding Fathers had in mind.:usflag: Hard work should be rewarded as you are contributing to this Country. Kind regards, the folks at americanlawn.:waving:

A to Z lawn care
04-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Congrats A to Z...........It's guys like you that our Founding Fathers had in mind.:usflag: Hard work should be rewarded as you are contributing to this Country. Kind regards, the folks at americanlawn.:waving:

thanks alot man you have contributed to the little encouragemnt in this thread.......