PDA

View Full Version : VERY low budget

lsu03
03-26-2008, 10:57 PM
i have $1300 to consider spending on equipment. i am not buying yet but planning out a sheet to try and convince my parents to let me start up next year once i have my license. this is my list so far:

SRM210 Echo Trimmer- $220
PB413 Echo Blower- $299
PE200 Echo Edger- $200
John Deere JS25 21”

the rest will go into advertising where i can and other small stuff. do you guys have any other suggestions equipment wise on anything better?

thanks

THRIFTY
03-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Sounds like you have a good start, just keep planning, planning, planning!

KrayzKajun
03-28-2008, 12:46 AM
good luck to ya!! plan plan and advertise! did i mention advertise!

lsu03
03-28-2008, 11:52 AM
thanks...........

kleankutslawn
03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
keep at it youngster.you are the next generation of the green industry.

djagusch
03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I would skip the edger. I havn't used one in 5 years. I own one but it sits at home. The trimmer can clean it up good enough. The blower is nice but you could live with a handheld unit also to save money. I still use a handheld unless I'm doing leaf cleanups then I pull out the back pack blower. Use the extra money for a newpaper ad or a old used snapper rider if you have bigger yards in your area.

lsu03
03-28-2008, 02:26 PM
thanks for the responses. i have been hearing that around my area good edging is important and i cant edge well with a trimmer so i will probably still get one. i might consider that handheld blower though...

tamadrummer
03-28-2008, 02:43 PM
thanks for the responses. i have been hearing that around my area good edging is important and i cant edge well with a trimmer so i will probably still get one. i might consider that handheld blower though...

Personally I would not skimp on the blower.That can cost you more time than just about every other part of the job next to mowing.

I am speaking from real life experience right now, my 45cc JD bp blower just does not have the guts to get the job done most of the time and we haven't even begun hitting the summer growth yet. I cannot wait to replace it!

If you have to try to save, go for a multi-use piece of equipment like an edger/trimmer/hedge trimmer/ pruner and get the BR600 or something similar.

Good luck and since you are waiting a year to start. Save every nickel you have now so you are not scraping later!

YoungGun
03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
If you have till net season $hit son you have a full year to bank some money! you could save up a easy 2-5 grand in a year buy collecting cans and having lemonaid stands!:hammerhead:

Lawn-Sharks
03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
sounds like good equipment to me! You got plans for something bigger then that 21" for the future????

verant
03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
def. skip on the edger. its not necessary especially when ur just starting out.

tamadrummer
03-28-2008, 03:45 PM
You cannot be without an edger in the south! Its like telling you to go without a mower and just use your trimmer for the entire yard. Every yard is edged down here.

LA/FL/GA/TX all the same I don't know about AL but it is not like you can have someone pay you to cut and not edge and a trimmer just doesn't cut the mustard on St. Augustine or Bahia like a metal edger.

Sorry for the hi-jack but it just does not make sense to tell you to skip buying essential equipment for the area.

KrayzKajun
03-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Edger= essential!!!

hackitdown
03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Why not use a combination tool and swap trimmer and edger attachments? Wouldn't it be cheaper? Is it too slow to swap attachments all the time?

verant
03-28-2008, 05:46 PM
yeah, i guess it depends where u are in the US for the need of an edger

ed2hess
03-28-2008, 07:54 PM
yeah, i guess it depends where u are in the US for the need of an edger

I don't know about that....I think some guys just want to make a perfect edge. In almost 30 years I have never had a customer complain about our edges made with trimmers. Sometimes new guys have trouble making a straight with trimmer ....I would get an attachment to use both. Then eventually you could throw the edger in the shop and leave it behind.

ALC-GregH
03-28-2008, 08:24 PM
HA, I'm one of those noobs with a trimmer and a straight edge. If I tried to use a trimmer at a customers house to edge, I'd probably get a "hell son, I could ride those waves" while I'm scratching my head. LOL I'd definitely have a half decent edger. :)

Lawn-Sharks
03-28-2008, 08:25 PM
You cannot be without an edger in the south! Its like telling you to go without a mower and just use your trimmer for the entire yard. Every yard is edged down here.

LA/FL/GA/TX all the same I don't know about AL but it is not like you can have someone pay you to cut and not edge and a trimmer just doesn't cut the mustard on St. Augustine or Bahia like a metal edger.

Sorry for the hi-jack but it just does not make sense to tell you to skip buying essential equipment for the area.

Get'em............... That St.Augustine is a killer down here specialy on new accounts that have never been edged before or Resods :hammerhead:

Dunn's
03-28-2008, 08:31 PM
i have $1300 to consider spending on equipment. i am not buying yet but planning out a sheet to try and convince my parents to let me start up next year once i have my license. this is my list so far:

PB413 Echo Blower- $299
PE200 Echo Edger- $200
John Deere JS25 21”

the rest will go into advertising where i can and other small stuff. do you guys have any other suggestions equipment wise on anything better?

thanks

Try a different edger if you can the PE200 doesn't last long and is underpowered. Straight shaft is best if you can swing it.

Carolina Cuts
03-28-2008, 09:17 PM
awe c'mon.... where are the guys who always factor in and shoot a youngster down bout' taxes, insurance, licensing, workmans comp, permits, liability, health insurance, etc....

where are they? need me a little drama for this thread!!! bring it!!!!

g'luck to ya junior....
ps... get an edger. It's pretty much the finishing 'touch' on any lawn.

lsu03
03-28-2008, 10:01 PM
thanks for the many replies. as soon as i get a few accounts i plan on buying a quick 44 and then get insurance and a bus. license. i will definetly be legit once i get to college though...

freshprince94
03-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Definitley get an edger. I use a PE-200 and it works fine but is a tad underpowered on my forclosures where the grass hasn't been edged for a month.

The SRM-210 is a great trimmer as well.

The PB-413: I have heard nothing but crap about it. The general rule is to go with the 600 series or above for Echo. For Stihl it's the 420 or up. Save your money and buy a good BP.

I haven't a clue about the JD mowers. I think John Deere is overpriced myself, but that's just me.

Lawnut101
03-29-2008, 01:45 AM
For starters on a blower, buy yourself a Stihl BG55 hand held. They are only $140. You can spend the extra $150 on a better mower. If I were you, I would get as good of a push mower as I could afford, and I wouldn't get it from home depot or lowes, but make sure you support you local dealer. He will probably support you in the long run.

lsu03
03-29-2008, 01:09 PM
thanks guys.

PTP
03-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Here is my start up costs for way back when I first got 4 lawns.

Ford Bronco II - $750
Craftsman mower - $300
Split shaft Ryobi trimmer/edger combo - $150
Hand held blower - $100

Total - $1300

Operating my own business for the first time - PRICELESS.

lsu03
03-29-2008, 09:22 PM
looks like you had a simliar start ptp

PlatinumLandCon
03-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Nothing beats word of mouth (aside from being powerful, its FREE). I'm doing some 5-figure landscape jobs this year and they came purely from word of mouth and doing an awesome job when i was just a small LCO 2 years ago. Now, at 17, I just spent $18k on the truck in my sig with all my own money and plan on doing $30k this year. Keep at it, do AMAZING work and the rewards will come.

elite lawns
03-30-2008, 02:07 AM
Good luck young man wish you the best

MOWEMJEFF
03-30-2008, 09:17 PM
For starters on a blower, buy yourself a Stihl BG55 hand held. They are only $140. You can spend the extra $150 on a better mower. If I were you, I would get as good of a push mower as I could afford, and I wouldn't get it from home depot or lowes, but make sure you support you local dealer. He will probably support you in the long run.

I second that, for a handheld and price it really is a bad a$$ blower and will be more then enough starting out especially being so young, and when you do upgrade it will make a great backup.

And as for insurance and registering your not 18 so until you get up into the 20+ account range I'd hold off, if people are hiring someone your age they either trust you or not, insurance isn't going to change their mind but thats just me i'm sure the next post will tell you the opposite.

lhenryp1
04-01-2008, 02:59 AM
Buy used!
Buy as many door hangers as you can.
If you are not mowing you better be hanging...even in the rain.

FDuce
04-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Don't know if it will help or not, but when I was in high school, I would run an add in the paper saying something like "Lawn Mowing. High school student seeking summer lawn maintainence jobs"... yada yada yada. Alot of people liked giving the work to a local high schooler.

lhenryp1
04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Don't know if it will help or not, but when I was in high school, I would run an add in the paper saying something like "Lawn Mowing. High school student seeking summer lawn maintainence jobs"... yada yada yada. Alot of people liked giving the work to a local high schooler.

Not really, they just knew they could get you real cheap. These days they probably HATE hiring a high school student for anything, I know I do. They show up late (if at all), half asleep, sore thumbs from texting all night, sit all day because they are dehydrated, talk and text 12 times an hour, take 8 bathroom breaks, fall asleep during lunch, break at least one thing, leave way before they should and want $50 bucks an hour.

Edmond_Dantes
04-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I would skim on the edger and get a good mower. Get a few accounts and con your parents into cosigning for a ztr.

Whoever suggested the handheld Stihl is right. That's what I use and it's inexpensive and good enough.

How many yards are you shooting for? 10-20 would be easy for you if you have a good rider.

Geaux Tigers!:walking:

lsu03
04-01-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah geaux tigers. i am shooting for about a dozen but play basketball and go to lsu football games in the fall. they shouldn't mess me up too much.

lsu03
04-02-2008, 07:27 PM
i might be buying a cheaper handheld blower as it would just be for blowing off grass, everything from HD, then will go to JD and echo for dealer support.

Skimastr105
04-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Most John Deere dealers won't service units bought at lowes or home depot. Just so you know.

lsu03
04-02-2008, 07:44 PM
guess i should buy the mower from the dealer. same price i assume. my dad does a lot of business with his farm there. what about the echo's?

freshprince94
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Echo dealers should service HD units.

lsu03
04-03-2008, 09:38 PM
never mind guys. parents won't let me start up. (sigh)

MOWEMJEFF
04-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Buy used!
Buy as many door hangers as you can.
If you are not mowing you better be hanging...even in the rain.

Only hang door hangers in the rain...people see you out there doing that or find a door hanger after driving home in a downpour and the first thing they think is you mean business, leave them on a sunny day and they think why wasnt he out working? Although saturdays can be good too, you get to talk to a lot of potential clients face to face on a saturday afternoon.

And your parents have a farm and you don't own a riding lawn mower you can lay claim too without dad saying "when i was a kid":laugh:

lsu03
04-04-2008, 08:40 AM
i do own a riding lawn mower.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
04-04-2008, 11:37 AM

PB413 Echo Blower- $299
PE200 Echo Edger- $200
John Deere JS25 21”

thanks

I did exactly opposite of what you're doing and worked up the ladder of success. I DON'T buy new. I DON'T invest large sums in secondary equipment such as edgers. Do you realize that you could probably score a decent, but older, 32 or 36" commercial walk behind for about $550? Yep, they're out there. Trimmers can be bought right as well. Keep it simple, don't overbuy, don't buy new when starting out. You'll need funds for advertising, cheap business cards, doorhangers if you can afford it...preserve capital at all costs. Get a couple weedeaters, a blower, a small walk behind, and if the edger is a bargain, grab one, if not...forget it for now. Buy one when you've got some money in the bank from a paying job. Get in good with a repair shop or dealer, tell them your situation, it really pays off knowing the service end of landscaping when you're climbing the ladder.

I got in good with a dealer years ago, now we're good friends. His tech crew in the service bay...we're all buddies now. I sell equipment for him on ebay, he repairs and maintains my fleet for cost. And it all started with a used Exmark 48" walk behind I purchased during the winter off ebay for $675.00! Had three weedeaters from a thrift store for $19.98 each, and a blower from another thrift for $14.98. All the equipment lasted and performed well that year with the Exmark still in operation today with a new owner. The first year I made money. That's how it's done.

Well, I'm mov'in on up! Second year I put the Exmark on ebay and sold it for $850, bought a John Deere 48" stand up for $2800 with 111 hrs. Rented a Turf Tiger for $125 a day. You can see the progression. This is real life, not make-believe. It's important to learn how to use and be content with the situation you find yourself in at a particular stage in business. Build. Keep expenses down, keep those numbers tight and efficient.

Today I own what I want to own...not what I'm forced to own. My mowers of choice: 60" Scag Turf Tigers with 27hp Kawasaki liquid-cooled engines and my John Deere 48" Quik Trak stand-up. I buy and sell commercial mowers as well, diversifying income streams into the business. That's how it's done. Pay your dues, work yourself into the profession. I can't guarantee success, I can only tell you how one man has done it.

lsu03
04-05-2008, 10:31 AM
thanks recession proof mowing but

never mind guys. parents won't let me start up. (sigh)

J & D Greens
04-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Lsuo3
I agree with Recesion Proof Mowing, I started up last year just wanting 15 yards to do along with my full time job for a few years till everything else falls in place to go bigger. I purchased all used equipment 2-21" Toro's they are home owners version with blade brake system , Echo Trimmer 210, Echo stick edger, Maclane edger, etc. etc... even a small equipment trailer, for around $1,000.00 in equipment to start up with. I printed up flyer's on my computer. Mapped out a five mile radius within my house. Yards range from $20-$30 with little to no traveling. I literally had to turn people away. I ended the season with 18 yards. The yards are very small and most customers did not want a big machine being used on their yard (like a bull in a china shop). This year my goal is to just replace my equipment with the best commercial equipment can afford on a as needed basis. 32" Wright walk behind maybe?

lsu03
04-06-2008, 12:48 PM
thanks j & d greens

lhenryp1
04-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Only hang door hangers in the rain...people see you out there doing that or find a door hanger after driving home in a downpour and the first thing they think is you mean business, leave them on a sunny day and they think why wasn't he out working? Although Saturdays can be good too, you get to talk to a lot of potential clients face to face on a Saturday afternoon:

Are you joking? If you only hang in the rain or on Saturdays what the heck else are you going to do during the week if you are not mowing? Sitting in front of this website...Playing Nintendo or game boy or whatever else you guys play with?

You go ahead and door hang only in the rain or on Saturdays and I will smoke you all over town. You will know who I am, I will be the guy with 3, 4, 5 crews that will be mowing in every neighborhood that you turn into. I LOVE competition like you. It ain't the equipment that makes you the money its your brains.

lhenryp1
04-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Lsuo3
I agree with Recesion Proof Mowing, I started up last year just wanting 15 yards to do along with my full time job for a few years till everything else falls in place to go bigger. I purchased all used equipment 2-21" Toro's they are home owners version with blade brake system , Echo Trimmer 210, Echo stick edger, Maclane edger, etc. etc... even a small equipment trailer, for around $1,000.00 in equipment to start up with. I printed up flyer's on my computer. Mapped out a five mile radius within my house. Yards range from $20-$30 with little to no traveling. I literally had to turn people away. I ended the season with 18 yards. The yards are very small and most customers did not want a big machine being used on their yard (like a bull in a china shop). This year my goal is to just replace my equipment with the best commercial equipment can afford on a as needed basis. 32" Wright walk behind maybe?

Hey JD,

Glad to hear you started out smart and it is working out for you. I replied to another thread about buying a used 21" to start with instead of buying a 8k ZTR and almost got eaten alive by people blasting me saying that you could not make it with a 21" mower. Well I made it a long time ago using this method and know it works. The majority of people were responding with buy this machine, or buy this machine and all were very expensive machines and the guy did not have a SINGLE ACCOUNT.

lsu03
04-06-2008, 09:40 PM
thanks............

herberg
04-06-2008, 11:06 PM
hey lsu03 - keep working on your parents. prove that you can handle it to them along with keeping grades up, farm chores, etc.

I took care of the neighborhood lawns when I was a kid - even mowed for Mike Holmgren when he coached in Green Bay. Was some of the best summers ever, good amount of money in the bank, nice tan, and kept out of trouble. Sell it to your parents - will help you sell yourself to your potential customers later on.

I'm getting back into it. This year picked up a nice Exmark 36" Metro - 5 yrs old - $600. I still have the Toro 22" GTS my parents bought 21 years ago - just pulled it out - fired off on teh first start. I bought all Craftsman (i know, i know) weed whip and edger combo, picked up a Redmax 5100 - total I've got into it for about $1100. Overnightprints.com got me 500 postcards for $65. $1million in liability for $252/yr.

All of this has gotten me 10 accounts, and a bunch of spring clean-ups.

It can be done - sell yourself to your parents - will be the best character builder ever.

A to Z lawn care
04-06-2008, 11:53 PM
ok... i hear guyso on here talking about just having 10-15 jobs........ i mean come on............ im 13 years old and i have 22 accounts that ive been doing for 1 year...... and i do there snow too........... i just dont get it if i have time to do it and no car anyone should be able to i have a buisness partner though and we both have a 58 inch steel wagons with folding sides and bikes to pull them with so...... im just trying to prove a point........ if i can do it anyone can......

ALC-GregH
04-07-2008, 12:03 AM
anyone that wants to lowball can do it. I don't see anything in your sig that states you have insurance. Are you paying the taxes too? You don't have any overhead, thats why you can do it. 20 accounts will not get me the income I had working on autos, well, unless I do it under the table and don't claim anything. 40 would allow me to make a living at it. When I say "living" I mean get by with paying the personal bills. Bills that you haven't even considered yet.

I would make sure you spend time playing in the park before your younger years are long gone and you don't know where they went!

A to Z lawn care
04-07-2008, 12:06 AM
anyone that wants to lowball can do it. I don't see anything in your sig that states you have insurance. Are you paying the taxes too? You don't have any overhead, thats why you can do it. 20 accounts will not get me the income I had working on autos, well, unless I do it under the table and don't claim anything. 40 would allow me to make a living at it.

ya i know what your saying but there are guys on here saying that they do 10 to 15 lawns a week......? how are they supposed to make a living on tht?

J & D Greens
04-07-2008, 04:13 AM
OK everyone who is trampling all over guys that are just getting their feet wet, there are a lot of us who a being forced into starting over. Our currant job just doesn't pay for everything, But can't just up and leave. So in transition working 40 hours a week plus 25 hours taking care of 15-18 yards until I can retire with a pention is what I have to do. Yes Insurance and Taxes too. But by the time two years go by I will be rolling with all new equipment and know exactly what it will take to make it. Maybe you are offended that we aren't out their killing ourselves just yet, but I know how hard the work is and I'm just returning to what I loved to do. (read my posts about what it was like in the good old days!!!!)

My plan is forced because we found out my son was diabetic 2 years ago and our medical coverage only takes care of so much, my daughter wants to attend college and I want what is best for them.
I just hope that we remain within Gods will as we prayed a lot before we jumped into this plan.

A to Z lawn care
04-07-2008, 08:33 AM
OK everyone who is trampling all over guys that are just getting their feet wet, there are a lot of us who a being forced into starting over. Our currant job just doesn't pay for everything, But can't just up and leave. So in transition working 40 hours a week plus 25 hours taking care of 15-18 yards until I can retire with a pention is what I have to do. Yes Insurance and Taxes too. But by the time two years go by I will be rolling with all new equipment and know exactly what it will take to make it. Maybe you are offended that we aren't out their killing ourselves just yet, but I know how hard the work is and I'm just returning to what I loved to do. (read my posts about what it was like in the good old days!!!!)

My plan is forced because we found out my son was diabetic 2 years ago and our medical coverage only takes care of so much, my daughter wants to attend college and I want what is best for them.
I just hope that we remain within Gods will as we prayed a lot before we jumped into this plan.

i feel for you... and wish the best of luck to you

lsu03
04-07-2008, 07:23 PM
thanks guys. my parents are just somehow REALLY against my idea.

herberg
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
ok... i hear guyso on here talking about just having 10-15 jobs........ i mean come on............ im 13 years old and i have 22 accounts that ive been doing for 1 year...... and i do there snow too........... i just dont get it if i have time to do it and no car anyone should be able to i have a buisness partner though and we both have a 58 inch steel wagons with folding sides and bikes to pull them with so...... im just trying to prove a point........ if i can do it anyone can......

Dear A to Z lawn care,

I'm proud of you for being 13 years old and having the ambition to ride your bike around and get those 22 accounts.

But, for your sake, don't try to prove a point. You only sound silly, and definitely 13 years old.

There are many adults on here who have chosen to get into or back into lawncare and snow removal, for you to disrespect us for that - is a sure sign of your age and sadly the majority of your generation. Take the time to look at signatures - many people that do this part-time say so.

I don't any more than the 10 accounts that I have. You know why? I have other hobbies that I enjoy much more than mowing lawns. But you know hat else? The 10 accounts that I have this year will probably net me more income than yours. It's all about the size of the yard.

How fast and what quality will you get with your equipment? Not very fast and not very good. You are also limited to the size of the yard. How many people are going to take you seriously to manage the yard of their half-million dollar home? Insurance? What happens when you throw a stone into their Lexus?

I'm not ragging on your for being 13 and having the ambition to get out and work - I applaud that. But do your generation a favor and show a bit of respect for the people on here whom you have probably asked for advice from.

That is all. I am expecting a nasty response from you, but hope that you can hold your tongue and be a respectful young man and take this advice to heart. Respect those that have come before you, and those behind you will show the same respect.

Brad

A to Z lawn care
04-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Dear herberg,

how can u say that the quality of my work is going to be worse than yours?? you can do the same quality work with any equipment as long as you take pride in what you do and to know what your doing.......... i know you told me to hold my tonge and show some respect but i treat others as they treat me... you said u weret ragging on me because im 13 although u make comments about my equipment.....? i appreciate you appreciate me going out and working but will you just tell me 1 thing... what kind of equipment did u have when u were 13? and by the wat i started out with 1 mower and bought all the rest of my stuff with my own money i earned doing lawns. i dont mean any disrespect but im just trying to get my point across.

lsu03
04-08-2008, 11:09 PM
i want to mow in my subdivision(20 1/3 houses) but there is an lco on the other side of the neighborhood and mom said it wouldn't be fair to him. thoughts?

MOWEMJEFF
04-09-2008, 01:03 AM
i want to mow in my subdivision(20 1/3 houses) but there is an lco on the other side of the neighborhood and mom said it wouldn't be fair to him. thoughts?

Ya, your mother doesnt want you mowing lawns.

slowleak1
04-09-2008, 01:16 AM
dude go buy you a weedeater now! get a pushmower now! just go out and do a yard or 2, prove your point. it will inly spread from there. i started off years ago, walking from my house dwon the street to do 3 yards. now i have a full-time job, and 12 accounts. with about a 5 year break from cutting. stick with it!

A 2 Z, ignore all those guys that pick on you. there just jealous. keep doing what your doing, you will be the one to put them out of business! if you keep at it, i gauruntee you will have several crews working for you by th time you are these old guys age.

krisuk80
04-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Ya, your mother doesnt want you mowing lawns.

A valid point, but at the end of the day if you want to make money, go out and do it. Lowballing will do you no favors, but you don't go into this business to be nice to every other businiess. If you don't pick up some of thier customers someone else will. It's very rare someone keeps a customer for life, no matter how good, or cheap you do it.

lsu03
04-09-2008, 08:47 AM
he's the kind of person that would come investigate as soon as i got a lawn or two in the subdivision. i'm guessing insurance here is a must.

lsu03
04-09-2008, 10:33 PM
no luck today. keep y'all posted.

MOWEMJEFF
04-10-2008, 01:30 AM
he's the kind of person that would come investigate as soon as i got a lawn or two in the subdivision. i'm guessing insurance here is a must.

Let him, if you have 3 lawns they're gonna laugh in his ear, thats just bad karma on his part.

And as for your mother tell her this....
"Mama ooo,
Didnt mean to make you cry-
If Im not back again this time tomorrow-
Carry on,carry on,as if nothing really matters-":laugh:

lsu03
04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:.....

lsu03
04-11-2008, 08:13 AM
mom said no yesterday. it'll come.........just wait. lol

freshprince94
04-11-2008, 02:18 PM

It's called competition for crying out loud!!! The other LCO can't have the whole neighborhood. In my neighborhood there are at least 5 or 6 different LCOs, one big company and the rest 1 or 2 man operations.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

A to Z lawn care
04-11-2008, 09:50 PM
dude go buy you a weedeater now! get a pushmower now! just go out and do a yard or 2, prove your point. it will inly spread from there. i started off years ago, walking from my house dwon the street to do 3 yards. now i have a full-time job, and 12 accounts. with about a 5 year break from cutting. stick with it!

A 2 Z, ignore all those guys that pick on you. there just jealous. keep doing what your doing, you will be the one to put them out of business! if you keep at it, i gauruntee you will have several crews working for you by th time you are these old guys age.

thanks alot man i try to ignore them but they just get under my skin.......

lsu03
04-11-2008, 11:59 PM
they basically told me tonight i have to work for someone else first, but only once i can drive, then i can start up, which will probably be during college. i'll keep checking around here anyways though.

thanks
LSU03

A to Z lawn care
04-12-2008, 12:02 AM
they basically told me tonight i have to work for someone else first, but only once i can drive, then i can start up, which will probably be during college. i'll keep checking around here anyways though.

thanks
LSU03

y wont u b able to deive til college?!?!?!?!?! isnt it 16 where u live?:hammerhead:

lsu03
04-12-2008, 12:17 AM
i can't work for someone until i'm 16 so i can drive myself to work, but can't start until after a year of that, and i'm going to a college an hour and a half away so i'd have accounts for a year only. just assume wait(keep working for someone) until i move to college. but yes it's 16, hardship license is 15.

A to Z lawn care
04-12-2008, 11:12 AM
i can't work for someone until i'm 16 so i can drive myself to work, but can't start until after a year of that, and i'm going to a college an hour and a half away so i'd have accounts for a year only. just assume wait(keep working for someone) until i move to college. but yes it's 16, hardship license is 15.

what are you majoring in college?

lsu03
04-12-2008, 03:26 PM
probably environmental engineering.

MOWEMJEFF
04-13-2008, 01:44 AM
I went for business and am now in the horticulture program. I'll have my degree next spring. I wish I had started in the hort program when I was 18, if I could do it again I'd go for the 2 year associates in hort at a school that will definitly transfer those credits. that degree can turn into a 4 year degree in tons of different fields in this industry and then you'll have 2 degrees one a concentrated bachelors. Knowledge is power.

lsu03
04-13-2008, 09:04 PM
cool................ my dad's degree is in horticulture. got his master's.

lsu03
04-14-2008, 09:52 PM
dad bought an echo srm230 yesterday for the farm and our house. my knowledge on all of this lawncare equipment ended up being useful.

MOWEMJEFF
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
dad bought an echo srm230 yesterday for the farm and our house. my knowledge on all of this lawncare equipment ended up being useful.

Sounds to me like your Dad is secretly on your side:clapping:

lsu03
04-14-2008, 10:01 PM
more than my mom, yes, but i still think she is forcing him to talk her way. lol

MOWEMJEFF
04-14-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm the exact opposite....my dad told me to get another job all winter...I think he just knows I'm gonna make more then him this year.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-15-2009, 12:29 AM

PB413 Echo Blower- $299
PE200 Echo Edger- $200
John Deere JS25 21”

thanks

Good plan. I think you need to consider buying used. Let someone else get stuck with depreciation on lawn equipment(btw is VERY high)

J & D Greens
04-15-2009, 04:16 PM

35 years ago was when I first started working for a lawn crew. I was 13 years old at the time. Ron would come by the house at around 6 am. and he pick up me and my 12 year old brother. We and about three other men would cut 125 yards a week. We got paid buy the week not by the hour.

There is no reason if you really want to get a job working for someone in this field that if you work hard it would be worth it to swing by and pick you up.

Good luck guys.

gravtyklz
04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
35 years ago was when I first started working for a lawn crew. I was 13 years old at the time. Ron would come by the house at around 6 am. and he pick up me and my 12 year old brother. We and about three other men would cut 125 yards a week. We got paid buy the week not by the hour.

There is no reason if you really want to get a job working for someone in this field that if you work hard it would be worth it to swing by and pick you up.

Good luck guys.

There are so many DUI working adults that this is far from uncommon to pick up an employee really.