PDA

View Full Version : a little story and a hypothetical question about minimum prices

jdmcat
03-26-2008, 10:24 PM
I am a pesticide applicator full time for a company and am mowing part time on the weekends for myself. Today I was at one of my regular accounts doing a dormant spray, and I noticed that they had removed about 25% of their shrub beds. The customer came outside and asked if I was going to reduce the price. They were paying $55 and our minimum is $50 so I told her that I could only drop it $5. I tried to explain to them about the minimum price and that more goes into the price than just material cost such as drive time, gas, and wear and tear on the equipment but they said I had to drop it at least $10 or they would drop me. I told them I would talk to my boss about it and of course he said give it to them for $45.

Ok, no big deal right, it's only $5 and they have been my customers for about 4 years, but suppose you mow a 5000 sq. ft. lawn for your minimum charge of say $30 and the customer builds a garage on part of it cutting it down to 3500 sq. ft. and insists you to reduce the price to $20 because there is less to mow, how do you explain to them that you simply can't? What if you mow 4 other lawns on the same block?

Personally, if it was MY account and not my bosses, I would have dropped them, especially since everyone else in town has $65-$75 minimums.

Big C
03-26-2008, 11:11 PM
To responed to your comment about the 5000 sq ft lawn that the owner built a building on it cutting the mowing area....I would tell them that yes it is less lawn to cut, but more area to trim/edge because of bldg.

kleankutslawn
03-26-2008, 11:29 PM
To responed to your comment about the 5000 sq ft lawn that the owner built a building on it cutting the mowing area....I would tell them that yes it is less lawn to cut, but more area to trim/edge because of bldg.

i agree completely