PDA

View Full Version : Curved or straight shaft edger.

smcunningham
03-26-2008, 11:51 PM
What do you prefer and only reply if you have used both.....I've only used curved edgers so I did'nt vote. For those that have used both what are the pros and cons of each?

I tried to add a pole to this and goofed up

Turf Dawg
03-27-2008, 12:09 AM
I have curved shaft. I tried a straight shaft for about 30 min on a property and could not get used to the feel of it. I do not run echo much any more, but I do like how the shield is open on the side because they don't stop-up as bad. I guesse it all depends on what you are used to.

BentleyOutdoors
03-27-2008, 12:42 AM
:usflag:used both types but prefer the Echo-PE-230 that i am currently using, easiest on my back for long periods and tons of power. Hope that helps

jbannick18
03-27-2008, 12:44 AM
straight shaft

Ed Ryder
03-27-2008, 12:48 AM
I get excellent results with a straight shaft string trimmer. I haven't seen an edger yet that can match what the string trimmer can do. (In my neighborhoods I am number one with edging.)

CFB
03-27-2008, 01:06 AM
FWIW I have the Stihl FS110 (straight shaft). I have to hold it up so high that it is tough to use for long stretches...and I am 6'5". Definetely not comfortable for me. I have not used a curved shaft but I wonder if it would be better for my height, and if you don't have to hold it up as high.

But, this could all be because I'm left handed and walk to the right of the edger...haha.

kleankutslawn
03-27-2008, 01:10 AM
i use both but i am more comfortable with the curved shaft.i will not use a curved shaft weedeater though

J&J Customs
03-27-2008, 01:54 AM
straight shaft pretty much makes you hold your hands above your head go with the curved but i perfer a straight shaft string trimmer unless its an ungodly long walkway or driveway the string trimmer in my opinion has the best control and amazing results ive gotten several random neighbors ask if i will just edge their drive with a string trimmer

02DURAMAX
03-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Straight Shaft for me

S man
03-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Curved imo gives the best results. I had a big bad boy stihl combo unit with a straight shaft edger attachment and it would NEVER give clean even edge even with a new blade. Go with a curved shaft. Redmax makes a nice light weight 23 cc model. It doesn't get used much though because I prefer using the trimmer most of the time for edging.

Atlantic Lawn
03-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Straight shaft is the only thing we use. Guys never seem to have any issues with them.

olde_blue
03-27-2008, 11:58 AM
I have a Stihl FS75 (curved shaft, commercial grade engine) and a FS100RX (straight shaft). I bought the FS75 first because it was light (2-3 pounds less), cheaper, and shorter (so you could turn around in small places). While it still works perfectly, it is retired to backup because I can trim faster and more accurately with the straight shaft FS100RX. A straight shaft is way faster for mowing small areas and hills, because of balance and longer reach.

The main problem with a curved shaft: because the head hangs down 12 inches or so off axis of the trimmer shaft, when you move the trimmer head back and forth it tends to swing like a pendulum, making it harder to keep the head level. You can't move as fast and maintain control. The faster you can move the head, the faster you can trim.

smcunningham
03-27-2008, 09:16 PM
I have a Stihl FS75 (curved shaft, commercial grade engine) and a FS100RX (straight shaft). I bought the FS75 first because it was light (2-3 pounds less), cheaper, and shorter (so you could turn around in small places). While it still works perfectly, it is retired to backup because I can trim faster and more accurately with the straight shaft FS100RX. A straight shaft is way faster for mowing small areas and hills, because of balance and longer reach.

The main problem with a curved shaft: because the head hangs down 12 inches or so off axis of the trimmer shaft, when you move the trimmer head back and forth it tends to swing like a pendulum, making it harder to keep the head level. You can't move as fast and maintain control. The faster you can move the head, the faster you can trim.

I'm asking opinions on edgers.