PDA

View Full Version : Gravely or quick 36? (read thread please)

brent crumley
03-26-2008, 11:34 PM
I called a local dealer here today and he said i could buy a new Gravely 36wb gear drive for 2700.00. Also I can buy a Quick 36 hydro for 2700.00 also so which would you buy? Also thanks for the other threads. Brent @ YARD CUTS in Hueytown Al. I have a long day thursday so I will check back after 8pm for comments. AGAIN THANKS:

jbannick18
03-26-2008, 11:40 PM
hmmm, if its possible go with a gravely hydro. To me the quick's just look cheaply built compared to more heavy duty models of wb's like toro, exmark, etc. I realize this doesn't really help lol just thought i'd chime in

brent crumley
03-26-2008, 11:49 PM
jbannick, the gravely 36 is gear drive. 2700.00 not hydro thanks. brent

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-27-2008, 12:59 AM
I called a local dealer here today and he said i could buy a new Gravely 36wb gear drive for 2700.00. Also I can buy a Quick 36 hydro for 2700.00 also so which would you buy? Also thanks for the other threads. Brent @ YARD CUTS in Hueytown Al. I have a long day thursday so I will check back after 8pm for comments. AGAIN THANKS:

The Quicks are a great bargin and built like tanks. I would tell you to contact BOP and ask for some local owners so that you can try one out.

I MOW ALONE
03-27-2008, 01:14 AM
the quick mowers are built pretty good but there not built no where's near as strong as a gravely. the gravely's are truly overbuilt.

Valk
03-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Seems to me a dual hydro WB requires a VERY strong & therefore heavy frame to support all the drive components and the various torsions to deliver that power to both rear wheels independently...and most are near 500 lbs, and go up to over 700 lbs depending on deck size. Tire size would then play a huge role in rutting issues.

Big C
03-27-2008, 02:11 AM
hmmm, if its possible go with a gravely hydro. To me the quick's just look cheaply built compared to more heavy duty models of wb's like toro, exmark, etc. I realize this doesn't really help lol just thought i'd chime in

probably never touched a Quick mower in his life:nono:

ranger351w
03-27-2008, 06:34 AM
I bought a Quick 36 super last year and just run it. had no issues out of the box. Well built . Only thing is they do not like grades to much as you really need to hang on to them on slopes. But they are a great machine that does a good looking mow. Do not know how they are on warranty as have had no issues to pursue. They work good with the bagger also.:usflag:

Frue
03-27-2008, 06:48 AM
if you are going to cut wide open lots. Go with quick if you have alot of hills maybe gravely. I bought a toro gear drive this year for 3200 the only reason was I have hills to cut. Now I must say that the gear drive will not move well when the belts get wet due to rain or early morning due. Now I dont cut in the rain so who cares but having a hydro like quick could finish the lawn if you get stuck in a shower.

If I could of gotten my hands on a quick around here and tested it to see if I could still do the hills I would Have bought the quick!!!!!!

jbannick18
03-27-2008, 09:42 AM
probably never touched a Quick mower in I life:nono:

Your right I haven't even seen one, and I see plenty of companies in Orlando. I do like the 3 blade approach of the quick though. I've read alot of discussions on this site and I think the main thing in question with bop is whether or not it will last years on end.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Your right I haven't even seen one, and I see plenty of companies in Orlando. I do like the 3 blade approach of the quick though. I've read alot of discussions on this site and I think the main thing in question with bop is whether or not it will last years on end.

If you have any question if its built to last ...you should call BOP so you can find a local owner and see one in person. They are true commercial equipment.

GPDesign1
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Brent:

FWIW... Better Outdoor is in the process of converting a large southeastern landscaping company from a major "red brand that starts with a T" gear-drives over to Quick 36's & 44's. 40 machines. Although they said that they liked our price, price was not the determining factor. Their crews thought our mowers were easier to operate. Management likes the way they're built. They also like being able to deal direct with the factory (the "other" brand forced them to deal with an unresponsive distributor).

We also have a mid-sized local contractor (six crews) who's historically (20 years) bled a "certain shade of light orange". Starting this year, he's transitioning his fleet over to Quicks.

As with most things, there's a lot of (misplaced) brand loyalty out there. Listen to the guys who actually own one and then make up your own mind.

gp

ProStreetCamaro
03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Brent:

FWIW... Better Outdoor is in the process of converting a large southeastern landscaping company from a major "red brand that starts with a T" gear-drives over to Quick 36's & 44's. 40 machines. Although they said that they liked our price, price was not the determining factor. Their crews thought our mowers were easier to operate. Management likes the way they're built. They also like being able to deal direct with the factory (the "other" brand forced them to deal with an unresponsive distributor).

We also have a mid-sized local contractor (six crews) who's historically (20 years) bled a "certain shade of light orange". Starting this year, he's transitioning his fleet over to Quicks.

As with most things, there's a lot of (misplaced) brand loyalty out there. Listen to the guys who actually own one and then make up your own mind.

gp

Just a quick question. How deep are the decks on your machines? From all the pictures I have seen they look very shallow but pictures i know can be deceiving.

GPDesign1
03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
All of the BOP decks are about six inches deep across the front/tunnel area. About three inches in the back.

They also now have a welded-on bumper/rub-rail that runs from the chute, across the front and down the trim-side. Makes the skirt over a 1/4" thick.

g

ProStreetCamaro
03-27-2008, 11:33 AM
All of the BOP decks are about six inches deep across the front/tunnel area. About three inches in the back.

They also now have a welded-on bumper/rub-rail that runs from the chute, across the front and down the trim-side. Makes the skirt over a 1/4" thick.

g

Sounds good. Now if you would just build us a 44" with a kohler command twin we may look into one in the future! :drinkup:

JustCut
03-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Picked up my Quick 36 Samurai yesterday and I must give credit where credit is due.....No corners seem to be cut on Construction from what I see they use a great deal of over kill where they could have cut corners. If someone were to say that this is not a commercial mower I would think their understanding of commercial is tainted....

Granted, I mowed my yard only so as time goes on I will be able to see how the quality of construction equals the quality work I'm trying to achieve.

PS. MADE IN AMERICA:usflag:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Just Cut - your PS is the bottom line. That is why I decided to pull the trigger on mine, all other things considered:)

ed2hess
03-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Brent:

gp

Okay....do you have any contact that have run the units over 1200 hours yet that I can talk to....pm me. Our use is about 600 hrs a year and I am interested in what is going to happen after warranty mainly transmission.

Big C
03-28-2008, 01:03 AM

Check one out in person...you might be surprised....good luck this season!!!!

JustCut
03-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Okay....do you have any contact that have run the units over 1200 hours yet that I can talk to....pm me. Our use is about 600 hrs a year and I am interested in what is going to happen after warranty mainly transmission.

I'm curious: 600 hours= 36,000 min. if it takes you 15 min. to cut the average lawn that would give you 2400 yards per 600 hours and at $35.00 average per lawn your gross return would be $84,000.00 not to bad. My accountant tells me that you should put 5% of gross aside for new equipment which =$4200.00

My point is this...say you only get one year out of the BOP product (warranty1 year) you still have time on the equipment looks like...a good return on your $ spent:walking:

ameteur865
03-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I'll throw my $.02 on the quick/hills issue. I used my new quick 36 ninja for the first time last night on my .7 acre lot. I have a fairly steep slop in my back yard (up to 30-35 degrees in some areas). I cross cut the hill side to side and I was worn out. This machine would not be good for cutting around steeper pond banks.

I think I will get better (and stronger) as I practice. I also went out tonight and tested the mower going up and dpwn the steepest part of the hill. I think this will be my prefered method. The machine just flys up the hill and it is controlled on the way down. I will probably only cross cut every few weeks.

My front yard is flat and the machine is a dream to use here. It is very well built (I have used SCAGs and Gravelys in the past). If I were starting abuisiness around here (Knoxville, TN), I'd get a dual Hydro, but if I was anyplace relatively flat, I would definitely go with the quick.

I will post more after a couple more uses.

bill8379
03-28-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm curious: 600 hours= 36,000 min. if it takes you 15 min. to cut the average lawn that would give you 2400 yards per 600 hours and at $35.00 average per lawn your gross return would be $84,000.00 not to bad. My accountant tells me that you should put 5% of gross aside for new equipment which =$4200.00

My point is this...say you only get one year out of the BOP product (warranty1 year) you still have time on the equipment looks like...a good return on your $ spent:walking:

So your average yard is 15 mins and you make $35? Wow, with that kind of money you could buy a Toro and increase your efficiency.:rolleyes:

PTP
03-28-2008, 09:39 PM
So your average yard is 15 mins and you make $35? Wow, with that kind of money you could buy a Toro and increase your efficiency.:rolleyes:

That seems reasonable to me. He is talking about the mowing time there - not including the trim, edge and blow time. On a good day I can knock out 2 $32 lawns per hour solo.

GPDesign1
03-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Ed:

If it wears out, one can replace the entire drivetrain in a Quick for about 350 bucks and an hour of your time.

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=10052-S

JustCut
03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Ed:

If it wears out, one can replace the entire drive-train in a Quick for about 350 bucks and an hour of your time.

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=10052-S

So if I understand it correctly....1st year under warranty....set aside $4200.00 for replacement....used this money to pay for original invest (mower) had about $1200.00 left....bought new drive train for the 2nd year...$350.00 paid yourself...$850.00 to install new drive train.....wow money almost as good as mowing...:clapping::dancing:

RM n WS
03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
My super fox is 3 years old. On average I mow around 450 hours per year per mower. I have a wright sentar sport 48 with 470 hours that is one year old. My 36 was purchased for around $1900.00. I change belts every year and service it about once a month. Mine has a manual start 13hp briggs and I only use gator blades on it. The other day I broke the blade engagement cable and went to better to get a replacement. After all this time they sold me the cable assembly with the switch, spring, cotter pin, handle, and a new knob. I put it on myself and it took about 20 minutes. The cost was around $25.00 and they apologized for it breaking. If you have experience with mower dealerships I'm sure you know whether you have gotten that kind of service and courtesy from them. My wright has been tough but I broke the muffler bracket 2 times, and the solenoid left me stranded in a yard 1 time. It cost $6872.00

turningheads
01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Gravely is made in America also.