PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Z 25/60 vs Scag Tiger Cub 25/61

lhenryp1
03-27-2008, 01:02 AM
I've started with a list of 6 or 7 machines and after talking with dealers and doing demos and a *lot* of research I am done to these two machines.

The Hustler Z 25 HP KAWASAKI /60" XR7 Deck 927772 A/B (HZ25KAW60XR7) is on promo now $7,499 but I cannot find a dealer anywhere near me that has a 2008 for this price. I love the way it handles, feels, serviceability and general looks but will not pay $1000 more than the promo price for a current year model, which is what I was quoted today.

The Scag Tiger Cub 25 KOHLER /61" Velocity Deck is on promo for $7499 also. All of the dealers around me have 2008 models in stock and all are offering the promo price (kind of nice not to feel like you are getting the shaft). I like the way this machine handles and feels but not as much as the Hustler. Serviceability appears to be the same on both machines.

From my research the velocity deck does not have any issues that I know of whereas the XR7 deck has a history of leaving strips of uncut grass. This is what worries me and has led me to lean to the Scag. I don't want to spend 8k on a machine that needs a fix kit to make it cut correctly, well hopefully cut correctly.

I do believe if the issue with the XR7 deck has been solved on the 2008 model and I could find one within a 100 miles for the promo price I would buy one. But it looks like I will be going with the Scag Tiger Cub 25/61 unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

Thanks for listening.

Ex-Landscape Maintenance Guy

Texas Mower Parts
03-27-2008, 07:58 AM
We have them in Waco. I also have a demo for $6875 w/ full warranty.
-Travis
254-753-7900

lhenryp1
03-27-2008, 10:00 AM
I just might have to make the drive up to Waco and have lunch at a good restaurant....Oh wait you guys don't have any good restaurants :laugh:

But really, is it a 2008 model with the fixed deck that doesn't leave strips and does it have the ROPS?

davink
03-27-2008, 10:05 AM
I have the Hustler 2007 Super Z with the XR 7 deck, and have NEVER had any problems with the cut all last season.. What issue are you refering to? Anyone else seen this happen?

Also, this unit has a very low center of gravity, probably a waste of money to get the ROPS Just my .02

lhenryp1
03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
The issue about he xr7 can be found at http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=145981&highlight=xr7+leaving+strip and other places on this site.

You are right about the ROPS, I do not need them, However from what I understand is that ALL Hustler Zs will have them if they were made after 1/1/08 and that will be an issue if and when I every sell the unit. It is just like buying a *year old* unit right now for the price of a current unit.

If I am buying a new unit, I want the latest model especially if there have been noticeably changes to the units (Deck fix, ROPS). You are not going to buy a brand new 2007 truck for the same price as a new 2008/2009 model are you? So why settle for this in a 8K mower?

Texas Mower Parts
03-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes, I have the 08's in stock. The demo is a 07'. I'll take you to a nice resturant when you get here!

Texas Mower Parts
03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
As long as you buy a mower!:laugh:

lhenryp1
03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I'de like to take you up on that but the area rep contacted my local dealer who in turn contacted me and said he will honor the promo price and he too has a 2008 in stock. Now since the deck is not an issue and the price is not an issue I have to decide between the Scag and Hustler........HELP!

tb8100
03-27-2008, 07:20 PM
I like Scag better. Just a personal preference. The seat is more comfortable IMO, and the Cub goes a little faster at 10mph. The Velocity + deck has a much larger discharge opening and will move more material out the chute than the XR7 (will do better in a thick grass situation). The front tires are smooth, vs the ribbed style on the Hustler (easier on turf). Timken tapered roller bearings on the spindles with a blowout valve to prevent overgreasing, vs sealed ball bearings on the Hustler spindles. Tapered roller bearings have a much larger load capacity than conventional ball bearings, plus with the blowout valve, you have less chance of contamination than regular greasable spindles. There aren't huge differences overall, but I think the Scag is a more solid design.

Which dealer do you like better? That has a big impact on this as well. Do they have a loaner available in the event yours goes down? Which one has a larger parts stock? More importantly, which one treats you better?

tb8100
03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Oh yeah, which color do you like better? :laugh:

BentleyOutdoors
03-27-2008, 08:14 PM
:usflag:Owned both models that are listed, both are great machines as long as there are Kaw's behind them. The only difference besides color is the ride. Hustler has the ride!!! But they are only as good as the dealer!!! Just some food for thought.

gene gls
03-27-2008, 08:26 PM
I've started with a list of 6 or 7 machines and after talking with dealers and doing demos and a *lot* of research I am done to these two machines.

The Hustler Z 25 HP KAWASAKI /60" XR7 Deck 927772 A/B (HZ25KAW60XR7) is on promo now $7,499 but I cannot find a dealer anywhere near me that has a 2008 for this price. I love the way it handles, feels, serviceability and general looks but will not pay $1000 more than the promo price for a current year model, which is what I was quoted today.

The Scag Tiger Cub 25 KOHLER /61" Velocity Deck is on promo for $7499 also. All of the dealers around me have 2008 models in stock and all are offering the promo price (kind of nice not to feel like you are getting the shaft). I like the way this machine handles and feels but not as much as the Hustler. Serviceability appears to be the same on both machines.

From my research the velocity deck does not have any issues that I know of whereas the XR7 deck has a history of leaving strips of uncut grass. This is what worries me and has led me to lean to the Scag. I don't want to spend 8k on a machine that needs a fix kit to make it cut correctly, well hopefully cut correctly.

I do believe if the issue with the XR7 deck has been solved on the 2008 model and I could find one within a 100 miles for the promo price I would buy one. But it looks like I will be going with the Scag Tiger Cub 25/61 unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

Thanks for listening.

Ex-Landscape Maintenance Guy

The 25 HP is not enough engin for a 60" deck on the Hustler.

lhenryp1
03-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Really? BentleyOutdoors how do you feel about that? Remember this is not the super Z its the regular hustler.

The scag has a kohler and the hustler has a kawasaki.

tacoma200
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM

25 hp wouldn't be enough for me either. Even on the regular Z, and no way on the Super Z from my experience.

Having said all that though at one time a 25 was considered standard for a
60" deck. But now it is considered underpowered. I had a Lazer AS with a 23 hp engine and I was miserable in the Spring. Ended up having to sell it because it didn't have enough power for some of my lawns. It would get the job done but was frustrating.

BentleyOutdoors
03-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Really? BentleyOutdoors how do you feel about that? Remember this is not the super Z its the regular hustler.

The scag has a kohler and the hustler has a kawasaki.

The super Z has problems with there large hydro pumps bogging down the engine, but still is a great mower, just got to know your limitations. On the Regular Z the 25 is more than enough power. I run the 25 on the super Z and i have never had a problem with power and I cut Kentucky Blue grass all day on those Kentucky Hills, remember we cut grass not haul Ass.

tacoma200
03-27-2008, 10:39 PM
The super Z has problems with there large hydro pumps bogging down the engine, but still is a great mower, just got to know your limitations. On the Regular Z the 25 is more than enough power. I run the 25 on the super Z and i have never had a problem with power and I cut Kentucky Blue grass all day on those Kentucky Hills, remember we cut grass not haul Ass.

Man I had a 27 Kohler on a Super Z and test drove several others. It felt so weak to me, I was constantly having to ease off the levers going up long grades. That's just my experience. Now that I have gotten used to my Scag with the 31 Briggs/Daihatsu it feels like a bull dozer. It just has so much torque nothing seems to slow it down. I have heard the rpm's drop just a little a few times in very heavy grass. I'm not trying to be smart, but if I hooked the Turf Tiger up to my old Super Z it would drag it all over the place. It's just a beast. After you get used to some real torque it's hard to go back.

Of course yes you can get the work done with a 25, I'm just spoiled after running units with more torque and cutting power. It's what you get used to I guess. Even my 27 hp 60" Lazer feels weak now.

TLS
03-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Wait for the 31hp Kawi on the SuperZ!

tacoma200
03-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Wait for the 31hp Kawi on the SuperZ!

Yep, I bet your mouth is watering? Hustler has always had a good simple design but no large vertical engines available. Times are changing.

Have you noticed how many 30+ hp engines have been introduced in the last few years? The demand is definately there.

TLS
03-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Yep, I bet your mouth is watering? Hustler has always had a good simple design but no large vertical engines available. Times are changing.

Have you noticed how many 30+ hp engines have been introduced in the last few years? The demand is definately there.

Just wish they'd fuel inject one of these monsters! :weightlifter:

tacoma200
03-27-2008, 11:20 PM

That would be nice and it will probably happen eventually. You have no doubt been spoiled by your 28 Kohlers fuel economy, fast response :) and quick starts. I guess it's kind of hard to go back to a carburetor.

tb8100
03-28-2008, 09:49 AM

Wish granted!

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=79717

Is a 950cc 34HP/76lb-ft TQ EFI liquid cooled 3 cylinder big enough for you? :weightlifter:

GroundEffects125
03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
I have 2007 super Z an i havent had a problem with the mower yet, its great

tb8100
03-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Something else on the XR7, no adjustable baffle like the Velocity. There's also alot more room between the blades and the front baffle on the Velocity- more room for grass to stand up before the blades strike it. Don't get me wrong, the Hustler is a solid mower, but the Scag in my opinion is even more solid.

TLS
03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Wish granted!

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=79717

Is a 950cc 34HP/76lb-ft TQ EFI liquid cooled 3 cylinder big enough for you? :weightlifter:

Why would anyone want that? Cast Iron block, 3 cyl, horizontal shaft. You may as well have a diesel if your going to be carrying around the same amount of weight!

I want a 1 Liter class Vertical shaft V-Twin with EFI.

tb8100
03-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Why would anyone want that? Cast Iron block, 3 cyl, horizontal shaft. You may as well have a diesel if your going to be carrying around the same amount of weight!

I want a 1 Liter class Vertical shaft V-Twin with EFI.

Since when was 160# for an engine heavy? A Vanguard 1liter big block is 135 pounds. What's 25 more pounds?

lhenryp1
03-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Looks like I'll be getting the Scag Tiger Cub.

ed2hess
03-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I was a little concerned about the 25HP on the 61" Tiger Cub we got but was surprised in that it seems okay. We do all mulching with plate on outlet and with the baffles up high it is doing fine in the spring growth. This engine is running more rpm than my 7 year old 25HP Kohler that I have on a 48" Scag Cougar. I do know it is sucking up the gas big time compared to the older engine.

tb8100
03-29-2008, 10:16 AM
the Cub is a great choice! You might see if your dealer can throw in flat frees though. They shaved them off to reach that promo price. That or maybe the adjustable handles if they don't cost a fortune (never priced them).

ed2hess
03-29-2008, 06:12 PM
the Cub is a great choice! You might see if your dealer can throw in flat frees though. They shaved them off to reach that promo price. That or maybe the adjustable handles if they don't cost a fortune (never priced them).

I went ahead and got theflat free and better seat......but I did notice that the steering levers are too far apart to operate with one hand. For some reason that is different on the new Tiger Cub versus my 3 year old one. It is nice to use one hand in some situations. Wonder if the adjustable handles would help this situation.