PDA

View Full Version : customers neighbor

cambo4783
03-27-2008, 01:18 AM
I've been mowing this yard since last year and yesterday i did her first cut, well her nieghbor comes out saying he wants me to blow the grass and leaves from a 3 inch high curb over it back into the yard, well here yesterday a blower didnt help much because it was windy as hell, so usually on curbs i just blow it in the street where the cars will take it and spread it out, he said he doesn't like me to blow it in the street because it makes his house look bad, its not that much grass to make anyones house look bad, does anyone else have this problem with customers neighbors, am i in the wrong? i wanted to tell this guy to pay me if he wants this done, whats everyones opinion.

Raven386
03-27-2008, 01:26 AM
If grass does get blown into the street, which is unpreventable. I try to blow it back up onto the lawn. sometimes I just leave it if its a busy street. if you put the leaves and grass there its your mess, there is not reason for him to pay you to clean it up. Its like dumping a truckload of leaves on someone's yard and turning around and ringing their doorbell offering a clean-up. JMO

jdmcat
03-27-2008, 01:28 AM
in my area you can get a littering ticket for blowing grass into the street, not to mention it is very unprofessional.

check this thread out:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=215726

millenium_123
03-27-2008, 01:32 AM
I bag all my lawns so this really isnt an issue. But on some yards that I do every other week, the edging gets a bit worse, I do blow the grass into the street. It only looks tacky for a little bit, then will blow away...

JB1
03-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Personally I don't blow it in the street and nobody working for me does it either. I always thought homeowners was the only ones that did that silly stuff.

Big C
03-27-2008, 02:34 AM
Yeah blow it back into the yard

Tinkerer
03-27-2008, 02:42 AM
Unless its raining or foggy or very humid,, the grass clippings dry out rather fast. Only if you blow a ton of clippings on the road will it be noticeable.

02DURAMAX
03-27-2008, 03:11 AM
I blow it back on the lawn

Richard Martin
03-27-2008, 06:22 AM
I can understand the neighbor getting upset about leaves but he shouldn't have a problem with a few clippings. I'm guessing that the neighbor that is complaining lives to the left of your customer's house and gets the leaves? If that's an issue then try to minimize the debris you blow into the street especially leaves.

I know that if someone was causing leaves to end up in my yard from his yard I would have words with somebody.

Atlantic Lawn
03-27-2008, 06:57 AM
It's always breezy here, we try to keep clippings on the turf. If some gets blown out into the street it's usually gone in a few seconds.

J&R Landscaping
03-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I blow the clippings back into the lawn, and I try to minimize any clippings going into the street.

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-27-2008, 09:07 AM
if you can get your angle right when blowing towards the curb, but not directly at it, you can create a swirl effect that blows the leaves up in the air and over onto the yard/tree lawn its a really quick method too. although it doesnt work well when its windy like you said.

but again, i never leave anything in the streets. it just looks bad. there are enough lco's around here that do that, including discharging into the street.

wheels910
03-27-2008, 10:00 AM
blow it back into the yard, or sweep most of it up. your shortchanging your customer by making the yard look great, but the street in front of the house look trashy.

it's one of those extra steps that will set you apart as a quality hire

Mike Fronczak
03-27-2008, 11:03 AM
We blow them back to the lawn when ever possible. It sounds like there is a curb there, do the best you can to get them cleaned up in a reasonable time fashion & safely. I say this because as I am writing I am recalling that we do one on a busy 4 lane road with granite curbs, where we don't blow off road.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-27-2008, 12:31 PM
I blow the clippings back into the lawn, and I try to minimize any clippings going into the street.

Same way I do it. I think blowing debri into the street looks tacky and unprofessional. Few weeks back I saw an employ of the biggest LCO here blowing a large amount into the street in front of a bank, looked bad.

Dave_005
03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I've been mowing this yard since last year and yesterday i did her first cut, well her nieghbor comes out saying he wants me to blow the grass and leaves from a 3 inch high curb over it back into the yard, well here yesterday a blower didnt help much because it was windy as hell, so usually on curbs i just blow it in the street where the cars will take it and spread it out, he said he doesn't like me to blow it in the street because it makes his house look bad, its not that much grass to make anyones house look bad, does anyone else have this problem with customers neighbors, am i in the wrong? i wanted to tell this guy to pay me if he wants this done, whats everyones opinion.

we Always Blow the clippings back into the grass. Never Leave them on the street or walk areas.

grassyguy
03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
BLOW IT IN THE YARD. Blowing it in the street leaves your job looking like crap. Everytime I see someone do that it makes me cringe. Be better than that. Even with the wind you can get most of it on the yard even with a curb. If it is too much and leaves the yard looking bad then you need to run over it again with the mower or you need to bag it. Dont cut corners.

KrayzKajun
03-27-2008, 08:20 PM
in my area you can get a littering ticket for blowing grass into the street, not to mention it is very unprofessional.

check this thread out:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=215726

ditto!!!!!

corey4671
03-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I have two accounts side by side on a BUSY four lane. I do my best to keep the clippings in the turf, but somedays, like here lately when the winds gust at 25-30 Mph, it's hard not to get some on the road. There is no way in H E double hockey sticks I'm goin out in the highway to blow clippings and leaves back!
That said. If you are in a residential area with not much traffic, get your lazy @$$ out there and blow those clippings back on the turf!!

mowerbrad
03-27-2008, 08:42 PM
I had one property last year that the homeowners warned me that their next door neighbor gets very upset when they mow just a little on to his lawn. They told me that if the mower cuts past the property line the neighbor gets kind of upset. The first time I was there he just watched me closly, but didn't said anything the rest of the year.

AWR
03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Plow A Pile And Pick It Up..we Also Would Get A Fine For Blowing It In The Street...one Thing To Remember(here In New Jersey Atleast) Everybody Hates Landscapers Unless You Are Theirs..thats What I Tell My Guys