PDA

View Full Version : Bid Question

okie2
03-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I bid a school about a month or more ago. It was for 35 acres, mostly just mowing. The school sprays alot of it. I bid it at 910. However, now they changed how much there will be to mow. They took aways basically 5 baseball fields and a football field. Everything else is there. I can get it done in one day mowing 99% of it. and its flat. I know its pretty general but I was thinking about coming down to about $600. Is this too cheap? I also have the only bid in.

Lawn-Sharks
03-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Whats the acres now or was it 35acres without the baseball fields

03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I would stay at your original bid, if they ask you to come down, maybe go $100. If your looking at a days work for yourself, well I dont know about you, but I am shooting for $800- $1000 per day for myself.

okie2
03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
I dont know how many acres it is.

LwnmwrMan22
03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
I bid a school about a month or more ago. It was for 35 acres, mostly just mowing. The school sprays alot of it. I bid it at 910. However, now they changed how much there will be to mow. They took aways basically 5 baseball fields and a football field. Everything else is there. I can get it done in one day mowing 99% of it. and its flat. I know its pretty general but I was thinking about coming down to about $600. Is this too cheap? I also have the only bid in.

If you have the only bid in, I'd raise it. :D

Couple of things.

When you say the school sprays it, do you mean roundup along the building and fencing?? Or do you mean for broadleaf weeds?? Or do you mean with a growth regulator so the grass doesn't grow??

Also, what are you going to be using??

The Senior High I mow has 2 baseball fields, 2 softball fields, 2 soccer fields, and 2 football fields. They also have enough other common areas of grass to combine into another 1.5 football fields.

I run a 72" ZTR, and my dad runs a 15' Tri-deck mower, and we can get it done in about 8-10 hours, depending on how heavy the growth is, just the mowing.

Why are they taking those fields out of the bid??

If it's because they need to me mowed more, or the school staff is going to continue to maintain them, doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

okie2
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
School staff will maitain the ball fields. Talked to the maintenence today and they think its about 30 acres. I was thinking 20-25. My bid may still go down about $100 because of less grass.

okie2
03-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh I only have one 60" JD 757. I think I could get it done in one to two days

LwnmwrMan22
03-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh I only have one 60" JD 757. I think I could get it done in one to two days

Yeah, 1-2. But think of it this way, and only you can decide this for yourself.

Are you willing to work all day for $400?? This would be if you were doing it in 2 days for $800 per cut.

Are you willing to do it for $800 per cut?? This would be if you were doing it all in one day.

It might be cost effective to get a 72" mower down the road, especially if you do a bang up job for them at the year, and are willing to extend the contract out 3 years or so.

One last thing... do you get paid on a flat monthly fee?? Or just a per cut all summer?

This is where it gets a little tricky. If you're going to get paid on a per cut fee, then you could be out lots of work and or time come a dry spell, where there may be other accounts that are irrigated in your area which will keep you busy the entire summer????

okie2
03-27-2008, 04:38 PM
The maintenence says its about 30 acres or less. Its just mowing. May take a day or maybe two. One man. One mower. Per cut pay. What would you charge?

okie2
03-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I am thinking about $750 but I am afraid someone will bid way lower. This is my biggest bid by far and I dont want to lose it.

LwnmwrMan22
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I am thinking about $750 but I am afraid someone will bid way lower. This is my biggest bid by far and I dont want to lose it.

You can't look at the paycheck.

You have to look at the amount of work for the paycheck.

I do a school district for $36,000 per year. Yes, it's by far my biggest paycheck, but it's 1/2 of what I make per hour on my smaller accounts.

If I had enough smaller accounts to fill the time it takes to do the entire district, I would easily double my gross of the same amount of time.

I personally wouldn't go lower than $750.

Lawn-Sharks
03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't go lower than $1,100.00 Unless thats to high for your area