PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of bagged grass

chesterlawn
03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm going to advertise as an add on service, bagging of grass clippings. Where do you guys get rid of your grass? Also when you bag, do you cut the lawn first then bag, or just bag the first time.

tilawn
03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
i always bag it when i cut the first time through it but if it gets too long then cut let dry and re-cut (bag). With 25 yrs experience you have never bagged clippings before? lucky guy. And also start a compost pile with your clippings

ffemtmcd
03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Check around your area and see if there's a city (or county) that has a compost pile you can drop clippings at. There's a city around here that does that. It's cheap for the residents but the LCO's get charged more. Other than that, I know a guy who's got some acrage and he has a burn pile that he lights off 2-3 times / year and he lets me drop off there.

gravedigger5
03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't advertise or up sell bagging but will do it if a customer requests it at a premium price. Will also bag if clippings are excessive, on my dime, if they are just going to be piling up (usually in the spring) I have acreage so i just haul back to shop and compost.

JohnnyRoyale
03-27-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm going to advertise as an add on service, bagging of grass clippings. Where do you guys get rid of your grass? Also when you bag, do you cut the lawn first then bag, or just bag the first time.

Why can't you leave it at the house?

zapper
03-27-2008, 08:36 PM
How are you guys composting your grass clippings?

macguy
03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
I pay an annual fee to have a remote for the gate to our township dump area. The city has residential pick up of lawn debris that is set out by the curb the first week of every month (April - Nov).

gravedigger5
03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
How are you guys composting your grass clippings?

mix with leaf compost from last falls cleanups. Stir piles couple times a year. I even mix in some clay/topsoil form cemetary that I dig graves at. Takes about three years for some premium potting soil/ topdressing material.

Juan_Deere
03-27-2008, 10:26 PM
In the heat/sunlight of summer, I have found I can spread grass clippings on my driveway for three to four hours and they dry up enough to burn without a problem. You have to turn them a couple of times though. A pitch fork makes fairly easy work of this.

Reassurance Property
03-27-2008, 10:40 PM
mix with leaf compost from last falls cleanups. Stir piles couple times a year. I even mix in some clay/topsoil form cemetary that I dig graves at. Takes about three years for some premium potting soil/ topdressing material.

How do you top dress with compost? I have heard a lot of people talking about it on this site. I am purchasing a shop and will have space to start a compost. My wife is a master gardener so she will use a lot of it for clients beds. Anyway, how do you spread it and how much for top dressing?

gravedigger5
03-28-2008, 09:48 AM
How do you top dress with compost? I have heard a lot of people talking about it on this site. I am purchasing a shop and will have space to start a compost. My wife is a master gardener so she will use a lot of it for clients beds. Anyway, how do you spread it and how much for top dressing?

Good question. So far most of my compost has ended up in gardens and beds. Some i have mixed/tilled into over dig/clay soil on new construction to help make better soil for yard. Have been looking for good way to top dress with this stuff. several companies out there make top dressers and I looked at some last fall at GIE show. Will need to find or rent a screener to run this stuff through cause all the leaf debris gets rocks and trash in it from the fall cleanups. As far as price, my cost is about $8 to $9 a yard to process from time it was dumped till ready to use. I have between 20 to 30 yards a year to use (started out as 60 to 80 yards of ground up leaves, 10 yards of grass clippings and several yards of dirt). Have not been to concerned about price to sell cause this started out as a by-product of my cleanups and bagging. If I bid it in part of a landscape job, I price it a $25 a cubic yard.

CLARK LAWN
03-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Why can't you leave it at the house?

because thats very unprofessional,also not allowed in alot of areas.

GreenN'Clean
03-28-2008, 10:58 AM
I never bagged the clippings its a waste of time plus the clippings supplies nutrients to the ground after you cut the grass.

Reassurance Property
03-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Good question. So far most of my compost has ended up in gardens and beds. Some i have mixed/tilled into over dig/clay soil on new construction to help make better soil for yard. Have been looking for good way to top dress with this stuff. several companies out there make top dressers and I looked at some last fall at GIE show. Will need to find or rent a screener to run this stuff through cause all the leaf debris gets rocks and trash in it from the fall cleanups. As far as price, my cost is about $8 to $9 a yard to process from time it was dumped till ready to use. I have between 20 to 30 yards a year to use (started out as 60 to 80 yards of ground up leaves, 10 yards of grass clippings and several yards of dirt). Have not been to concerned about price to sell cause this started out as a by-product of my cleanups and bagging. If I bid it in part of a landscape job, I price it a $25 a cubic yard.

Let me know if you find a spreader. I would be interested in seeing how that works. So you charge 8-9 to top dress a bed, but up to 25 for a new landscape job? Just curious because I agree with you that you have already done and charged for the work to get the compost. Thanks

gravedigger5
03-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Let me know if you find a spreader. I would be interested in seeing how that works. So you charge 8-9 to top dress a bed, but up to 25 for a new landscape job? Just curious because I agree with you that you have already done and charged for the work to get the compost. Thanks
The $8 to $9 figure was what it cost me (per cubic yard) to process the compost (labor to mix and stir the piles) and the $25 was the price per cubic yard that I used on landscape jobs. Sorry I was not clear on that. My bad. :dizzy:

Reassurance Property
03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info!!!

mowerbrad
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I dump all my clippings at my uncles 80 acre farm. Several other lawn services also dump out there. I bag several of my properties so having a place to dump for FREE is great. All the other lawn services also dump for free.

MOWEMJEFF
03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
In the spring in Maine you either bag it or you'll be double and triple cutting after a single week...and in honor of my soils teacher I'll repeat his favorite phrase........
COMPOST OR DIE!

OSCLandscaping
03-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Were you aware that in Maine if you remove any green waste from a clients property and are going to compost it at your property or shop, you need a DEP Composting permit. Quite a few hoops to jump thru.

If you just dump it in a pile on the property it was generated on you don't need any permits.

JJS
03-28-2008, 07:58 PM
when i started in 1986 we didn't bag and i thought with the way things go with being
GREEN i would never have to bag, my son just joined me in business and all the new clients want bagging, i HATE bagging but its a way of the times. You don't do it the other guy will.

pdenney11
03-28-2008, 08:20 PM
The city I live in lets you dump yard clippings for free and it's just down the street. Its very convenient. I don't have a bagger but I blow the grass into a pile and vacuum it up

MOWEMJEFF
03-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Were you aware that in Maine if you remove any green waste from a clients property and are going to compost it at your property or shop, you need a DEP Composting permit. Quite a few hoops to jump thru.

If you just dump it in a pile on the property it was generated on you don't need any permits.

I let the city compost for me, and it's free.

when i started in 1986 we didn't bag and i thought with the way things go with being
GREEN i would never have to bag, my son just joined me in business and all the new clients want bagging, i HATE bagging but its a way of the times. You don't do it the other guy will.

That's the truth, in Maine 9 out of 10 companies run Walkers only around here. What are you running OSC?

JohnnyRoyale
03-28-2008, 11:05 PM
because thats very unprofessional,also not allowed in alot of areas.

Well excuuuuse me!!! I dont do any resi cutting, and was just wondering why this was an issue. Thanks for clearing that up.

MOWEMJEFF
03-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Well excuuuuse me!!! I dont do any resi cutting, and was just wondering why this was an issue. Thanks for clearing that up.

It's not always unprofessional around here, a lot of people want it.

p.c.fireman
03-28-2008, 11:49 PM
I bought some land close to town and feed my cows the clippings for the season then sell them for a profit at eh end.

94 Isuzu npr with dump bed for sale

OSCLandscaping
03-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I let the city compost for me, and it's free.

That's the truth, in Maine 9 out of 10 companies run Walkers only around here. What are you running OSC?

Walkers, we have been running them since 1986. We do side discharge as much as possible but Fronts and immediate backs on condos, and areas that are in public view on commercials all get bagged.

ribbie78
03-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a cliff in my backyard so clippings and debris = more land in the future lol

gravedigger5
03-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I bought some land close to town and feed my cows the clippings for the season then sell them for a profit at eh end.

94 Isuzu npr with dump bed for sale
That is a good idea. I have even thought about it. But not always sure about the chemicals that might be fresh on the turf when mowing, then feeding that to your cows, probably not a big deal but be careful. I do know the deer around here sure do like my compost piles.

MOWEMJEFF
03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Walkers, we have been running them since 1986. We do side discharge as much as possible but Fronts and immediate backs on condos, and areas that are in public view on commercials all get bagged.

Same here, anything in public view bagged except in the dry season I'll side discharge when its not growing as fast and you aren't leaving tons of clippings.

Marcos
03-29-2008, 01:24 PM

I run around on my larger residential properties and contracted soccer fields in the fall with something like this, with absolutely no problem:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200346514_200346514