PDA

View Full Version : Confused on which Ferris ztr to buy

meth
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm actually in the process of purchasing my first Ferris ztr now - although I am VERY confused as to which one to buy - I only have just under an acre and a half to cut, it will only be used for residential for my personal property. I am considering the is500 with a 52" deck and an is1500 with the 19/48 set-up.

The is1500 is approx. $700.00, although it appears to be a nice machine, do you think its overkill for me?

Danielslawnservice
03-27-2008, 12:54 PM
i'ld go with the 500 i tried one last year it was a very good cut and ride... go for it i love the suspension
what else does your dealer sell??
exmark?
Bad Boy?
ect...

meth
03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
His only other mfg for ztr's is snapper - I have pretty much decided on the Ferris now just determining which of the 2 models to buy. I was leaning towards the 500 also, but it has the BS EL engine, whereas the other has the kawi - but for $700 is it worth it?

Danielslawnservice
03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
ferris used to sell a 1000 but stopped that would be perfect for you! so if it's only 700 more i would go for it for the kawi eng. it will give u more life and u'll have it for ever just make sure u keep it up and u'll have it for a Long time.. best o luck..

meth
03-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks - thats the way I am leaning and i am getting a fair price of 6199, my only other concern is the size of the deck - will I have enough overhang to get a nice edge with the 48" or do I need a 52"? If i need the bigger deck then I need to go with the is500 since the larger 1500 is out of my budget

js.lawn
03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
ferris used to sell a 1000 but stopped that would be perfect for you! so if it's only 700 more i would go for it for the kawi eng. it will give u more life and u'll have it for ever just make sure u keep it up and u'll have it for a Long time.. best o luck..

the 1500 took the place of the 1000

js.lawn
03-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks - thats the way I am leaning and i am getting a fair price of 6199, my only other concern is the size of the deck - will I have enough overhang to get a nice edge with the 48" or do I need a 52"? If i need the bigger deck then I need to go with the is500 since the larger 1500 is out of my budget

if your using it for yourself as in ur home only the 500 well do what u want it too but id do it with the 52 you might have to slow down alittle with the b s motor but it well do it for u

Danielslawnservice
03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
u should wait than and demo it cause
it all depends on experience i cut a cemetery and get right up close cause i hate using a trimmer....
i still say 1500 cause of the engine
is this your first zts???
if it is than i would go w/ the 500 and a bigger deck
unless u can afford the 1500's bigger deck...

have u thought of exmark?
they have a machine called "Quest" and that would be the perfect size for you.
it's made for a homeowner w/ commercial quality...

meth
03-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info - this is my first ztr and i am looking to get a good one that is why I am leaning towards the 1500, although I am sure the 500 will do just fine - there is just such little talk and reviews on this newer model.

I have looked at the exmarks as well, but to be quite honest my local ferris dealer has been such a pleasure to deal with I want to give him the business and I think the after sale support would be much better

js.lawn
03-27-2008, 01:36 PM
go demo the two and then go from there

fishmagnet
03-27-2008, 02:08 PM
We bought a 1500 21hp Kaw 48" set-up last year and have been very happy with it thus far.

Our property is ridden with mole mounds and exotic deer bed scrapes, thus we truly appreciate the smoother ride the Ferris offers.

We've done a considerable amount of bouncing and bucking on this unit while mowing and no signs of suspension / arm fatigue or failure.

The Kaw is a 'hoss' of an engine and should likely keep us running for many years to come. :usflag:

Danielslawnservice
03-27-2008, 03:34 PM
DEMO!
i love to go and demo w/ no intention of buying...
lol

meth
04-01-2008, 11:38 AM
ended up with the ferris 1500z with the 21hp kawi and the 48" deck - can't wait for it to arrive - price was fair at 6199.00

js.lawn
04-01-2008, 11:46 AM
ended up with the ferris 1500z with the 21hp kawi and the 48" deck - can't wait for it to arrive - price was fair at 6199.00

you well like for sure good luck

YoungGun
04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
look at the snapper first same mower but cheaper! briggs owns both of them

js.lawn
04-01-2008, 02:00 PM
look at the snapper first same mower but cheaper! briggs owns both of them

ferris is not owend by snapper simplicity owen them

meth
04-06-2008, 11:25 PM
well I have an update on this - My dealer actually did a house call today, his service is outstanding. He knew I was on the fence about a ztr and seriously considering a garden tractor. I have not taken delivery of the is 1500 ferris yet, althoug I gave them the deposit and am scheduled to get it next week.

See I recently purchase a new home with just under 2 acres and there is still some yard work to be done, such as top soil, bed, mulch,etc. So a garden tractor may be what I need right this minute - the dealer said I may want to consider a Massey Ferguson 2800 series garden tractor and then trade it in in a couple of years for the ztr when the heavy yard work is done and just cutting would be the priority.

I am more confused than ever - both are VERY nice machines and the suspension on the ferris is awesome! Too bad I don't have enough room (or money) to have both........ Any thoughts from others?

fishmagnet
04-07-2008, 10:20 AM
That's a decision only YOU can make.

How much mowing needs to be done NOW?

I suppose you could look for a gently used yard tractor and get the Ferris too!:dancing:

meth
04-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah I know its my decision - would love both but storage is an issue, I am actually leaning towards the Massey now - the dealer will take it back on trade in a couple of years where I will end up with the Ferris. Both are great machines and the only drawback for me would be the time savings in cutting the grass

Ramairfreak98ss
04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
the 1500 took the place of the 1000

actually the 2000 did, the 1500 is a baby compared to my 1000z with a 27hp kohler. BUT for 2008, Ferris does now offer a 25+hp engine and 61" deck again on a 1500z model.

I would say for your "own" property only, a $5k is500z will be plenty with a 48 or 52" deck and the 24hp briggs or 26hp motor.

The main difference by going to the is1500z is the engine costs more, the hydro pumps and wheel motors are larger and have cooling fans like most commercial stuff "10mph" vs 8mph for the 500z too. It will probably be plenty for one lot.

meth
08-04-2008, 11:14 AM
So I have had the Massey Ferguson 2825 for the season thus far and I am not really happy with it. I am cutting about an acre and a half and doing some regular yard work - hauling dirt, pulling shrubs, nothing major. It has about 23 hours on it and I paid ~6200 for it. It has a 25hp kohler and I am just disappointed with the performance. The machine smokes on start up, backfires when I shut it off and seems to bog down it damp grass. The dealer is coming to look at it, said that maybe there is a head gasket issue and they would do a "leak down test"? I think I just want to get rid of this machine though and either go back and get a ferris 1500 or a jd534x.

Not sure what I could get for this machine at this point.......any thoughts guys?

mag360
08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
You took a big hit in value as soon as you took delivery of the machine. I'd say try to squeeze some work out of it before you get rid of it.
Usually with a 25 kohler if you shut it off at low throttle it will backfire. What we do on our kohler machines is kick it up to at least 1/2 throttle before turning the key off---this has stopped the backfiring 100% of the time. Hopefully that will work on yours as well.
We also experienced the smoking on startup and bogging occasionally with a 27 kohler we bought new last season. The dealer was not helpful and eventually the motor seemed to break in and start running a lot better with more power---I honestly don't know why but it took a few hundred hours before it ran well, which would be unnacceptable for your usage.
It sounds like you have a decent dealer and you have the leverage of a future purchase---I'd suggest pushing them to get you running properly.
Good luck.

meth
08-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback - the dealer is good and he is picking up the machine today - he recommended shutting down the machine by throttling down all the way, pausing and then back up to mid throttle - this works in the sense that the backfire is not as loud, but it still slightly does it. The smoking issue, on occasion this thing will fill the entire garage with smoke for the first several minutes. He claims that the machine may require about 100 hours of usage for the seals to set properly before this goes away, but again for my usage that seems unacceptable. We'll see what happens. Maybe I will trade next summer or if they can correct this issue, keep it for a couple more years. Would this problem cause a lack of power too?

Ramairfreak98ss
08-05-2008, 12:16 AM
The smoking issue, on occasion this thing will fill the entire garage with smoke for the first several minutes. He claims that the machine may require about 100 hours of usage for the seals to set properly before this goes away, but again for my usage that seems unacceptable. We'll see what happens. Maybe I will trade next summer or if they can correct this issue, keep it for a couple more years. Would this problem cause a lack of power too?

It is odd, our 2005 27hp kohler command pro engine smokes once in a while when starting cold, sometimes its enough i have to get out of the trailer, even if its open, and other times its nearly unnoticeable. With that said, our 2007 21hp kawasaki engine does the same thing, just at odd times, you go to start it, hit the choke for a second and huge clouds of smoke come out :/ .. Never really liked this happening at any time. Both still do it on occasion, the Kohler has 250hrs on it, the Kawasaki has 65.

Now my newest mower i cant remember EVER doing this, yet it only has 30hrs on it so far, the 32hp "big block" B&S Vanguard is a monster and only thing that ever happened was after a fuel tank emptied fully and it shut off "hot", I restarted on the other tank, choking it and filled it up with fuel, muffler let out a 1' tall fireball for about 3-4 seconds before it went out. I was ready to run to get the fire extinguisher because i thought i was gonna loose the machine with only 6hrs on it :rolleyes: