PDA

View Full Version : what and where to buy for first mower

kadenslawns
03-27-2008, 02:30 PM
hello this is my first post on here, dont know if i'm doing this right, but i have a question and what kind of tractor to buy for my first tractor, i probably can only scrounge up enough for a walk behind, but i dont know if its only worth it to invest in a brand new one or if going used is also acceptable. i am not very knowledgable when it comes to fixing mechanical things, aside from spark plugs and changing oil, so i'm thinking of going for new, but i dont know what brand is a good cheap starter

gravedigger5
03-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Nothing wrong with used mowers. My first two were. Just shop around so you don't end up with a pile of junk. And if your not that mechanical inclined, just find a good mechanic/dealer to work with.

All_Toro_4ME
03-27-2008, 02:39 PM
What's your budget? If you want quality, it comes with a price. As far as a "good cheap starter", you can get a comm unit, may have to be used to fit your criteria of being cheaper then new, but still not cheap.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-27-2008, 02:43 PM
get a used one to start with. You want a zero turn not a tractor style!

lawnwizards
03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
you should probably check the equipment forum on here. there are lots of used walkbehinds for sale. look for one thats in your budget and within driving range and have at it. ask the person selling if he/she has the maintenance history of the machine. also ask if you can test it out before purchase. anyway, goodluck and welcome to the site.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
03-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Nothing wrong with used mowers. My first two were. Just shop around so you don't end up with a pile of junk. And if your not that mechanical inclined, just find a good mechanic/dealer to work with.

I agree, i bought my mower used from a neighbor it was a john deere and there was a dealer in my town so i knew i could get parts for it if something tore up. I paid for it with cash......Its nice not having a payment on a new mower right now! If there isnt dealer in your area and you find a used one i'd find a good mechanic like GraveDigger said. B/C eventually something will break or tear up its just a matter of time new or used...Good luck with your search, I would check out ebay, this site , maybe craigslist or pick up a local trading post type of paper at a gas station to see if you can find a good one in your area.

mowerbrad
03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Sometimes dealers will have some good commercial units. You might also be able to purchase a demo mower. After so long the dealers and distributers will sell their demo machines at discounted prices.

captn
03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Go Used...I am purchasing a used Scag walk-behind which is only 2 years old with very little use....not quite half the price of new.

I wish I would have done this on my Hustler ZTR Fastrak.

Cap