PDA

View Full Version : another cheap customer

TREEGUARD
03-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Today i knocked on the door of a customer we did for a couple of years. She opens the door & looks at me like she dosent know me then say oh i & goes on to tell me she hired someelse to do the lawn this year but she really loved my work & service but the new guy could do the lawn for $17.00 a week.

What is this world comming to with all these lowballers out there how is the legit company going to compete with this crap.

Reliable Lawn Care
03-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Today i knocked on the door of a customer we did for a couple of years. She opens the door & looks at me like she dosent know me then say oh i & goes on to tell me she hired someelse to do the lawn this year but she really loved my work & service but the new guy could do the lawn for $17.00 a week.

What is this world comming to with all these lowballers out there how is the legit company going to compete with this crap.

She won't be with the kid very long !!! This happens all the time. Maybe she will understand your price increase when she calls you back !!!

tamadrummer
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM

You need to be filled up by the time she decides to call you back. It is impossible to compete with scabs and this customer just chose the type of work she wanted done. Don't look back if you can help it.

lawnpro724
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I've been hearing it from everyone I give an estimate for this year and I haven't got a single one yet. Everyone is telling me that my estimate is high when I thought it was kinda low. I can't believe prices are even lower than last years and I thought last years prices were low. How in the world are people mowing cheaper and cheaper every year when just about everything we use is going through the roof? This year were going to be doing more landscaping/hardscaping than mowing for this very reason. The only competition we will have in this field will be are other businesses who charge the going rate for quality work so we won't have to compete with lowballers and instead compete on quality work.

mowerbrad
03-27-2008, 04:10 PM
How much were you mowing the lawn for last year?

kleankutslawn
03-27-2008, 04:13 PM
wow. thats lunch money

lawnkingforever
03-27-2008, 04:20 PM
LCOs seem to be popping up like weeds around here. We are still couple weeks out here for first cut, so I am not worried yet. Most people will not worry about their lawn until they have to. But it does seem a little quiet this year, as far as calls. I really made a point to reach out to my current customers this year. What ever business you already have cannot be taken for granted, you may not be able to fill the void as easily this year if you lose any.

JohnnyRoyale
03-27-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm sure losing that $20-$30 a week account won't kill you. I would have told her I'd do it for $10 bucks, cuz her business is so valuable to me and I really like her and dont want to lose her business, then never answer another call from her again.

skeet
03-27-2008, 06:18 PM

I bet she just thru that $17.00 number at you hoping you would do it for $16.00

JohnnyRoyale
03-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Here's something we do to prevent this from happening to us. We renew the contract at the end of every season, instead of leaving the door open to others. We keep in touch monthly via emailed newsletters, christmas cards, etc, and on larger accounts we send them a basket and/or a simple arrangement just before the holidays. This keeps us in the loop with them during the off season, and they know WE are ALWAYS a call or email away. It works for us and in my opinion it's a small price to pay to keep a client loyal.