PDA

View Full Version : Sticks in the Spring

GravelyGuy
03-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Do you guys charge extra for customers who don't have a spring cleanup done and they have sticks all over their lawn? I've had various responses over the yeras for charging additional for this.

What about overgrown sidewalks do you charge extra for the first time edge?

Thanks...

Ronniecoleman
03-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes, I charge extra if I need to pick up sticks, trash, toys or an overgrown edge.

Whitey4
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
I charge for a spring cleanup... ALL the time. Branches are a pain in the butt, and I make my customers pay to have them removed. My spring cleanup is different at every account. There will ALWAYS be leaves in the beds, even if I left the place spotless in December. If the place is clean, I edge the beds, edge the walks, collect branches and sticks, but the bill won't be very high.

I did a cleanup today... new customer. I had to crawl under a deck to remove leaves. Got 4 bags of leaves from under it, including a basement window well. Even with my Husky blower (RedMax 7001) I could not blow all the leaves out with all the nooks and crannies under that stinkin deck, even though they were dry. Needless to say, I didn't do any edging on that one today. One window well I just could not get to. I told her to clean it out from inside the basement. :laugh:

There is no way I don't charge for a spring cleanup... because there is always at the very least, branches to pick up. They don't want to pay for a spring cleanup, find someone else.... but I've never had a customer complain about it either. It's pretty much an expected service call around here.

IN2MOWN
03-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Depends on how big they are...if the mower goes over them and chops them up no. If I need a chainsaw...yes.

T Total Lawncare
03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Yep, that is why they make the decks so thick. You think you need all that steel for just blades of grass.:laugh: Unless it's pulpwood of course they have machines for removing that as well.

T Total Lawncare
03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Seriously though, I do charge extra for debris removal, some folks call it spring cleanup.

Grubbworm
03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Oh yeah,
if I have added labor hours; then, you have to charge for it!

kleankutslawn
03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
yes i do charge more to pick up limbs

Uranus
03-27-2008, 07:45 PM
I tell all my customers that don't get a spring cleanup that they are expected to have all the sticks picked up before mowing season. Hourly labor rate will be charged for any stick cleaning that I have to do. If there are one 1 or 2 branches I usually just grab them and toss them into the woods or back of the truck. If there are a million twigs all over the lawn, bet your butt I'm mowing over them. And if they call to complain about it I'll pull a Bobby Gedd on them and break out my shovel.