PDA

View Full Version : Is 21" Exmark the same as 21" Toro?

bill8379
03-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Also, I was just told that the 26" Exmark has been improved any feed back on this?

I need a small commercial mower and was looking at Toro but they cost an extra $150 and a dealer told me the Exmark 21 is essentially the same machine as the Toro 21. Mind you he doesn't sell Toros..

Exmark 21 with BBC is $1350, the 26" is $1750:confused: (Canadian, every thing costs more up here)

(Please don't recommend I buy a Quick)

DCE
03-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Yes, the Exmark Metro 21 and the Toro Proline 21 are essentially the same machines with some minor differences. Either one you choose, you're getting one of the best commercial 21's out there.

tb8100
03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
you shood buy a quik!!!!!!

my quikc tirhty six iz teh best mooer evar!!!!!

:drinkup:

Howard Roark
03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Quickie 32 and be done with it. I've owned and we've used every mower you mentioned, including that POS Exmark 26. I don't care what they did to it, anyone who says it's "good" or above is making a profit selling them, or someone who doesn't seriously do this for a living.

So I recommended Quickie, not Quick.

:usflag:

Frue
03-27-2008, 09:00 PM
they are similar. I like the feel and controls of the metro. The toro def cuts better and mulches better. As far as bagging no differences.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Exmark is a beefed up, more heavy duty version of Toro

bill8379
03-27-2008, 09:11 PM
they are similar. I like the feel and controls of the metro. The toro def cuts better and mulches better. As far as bagging no differences.

Yeah, I was searching and reading previous threads and that seems to be the consensus. The Toro has kickers under the deck and the Exmark doesn't.

bill8379
03-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Quickie 32 and be done with it. I've owned and we've used every mower you mentioned, including that POS Exmark 26. I don't care what they did to it, anyone who says it's "good" or above is making a profit selling them, or someone who doesn't seriously do this for a living.

So I recommended Quickie, not Quick.

:usflag:

The 32 quick is wider then my 36" Toro so I think I'll take a pass. I need to fit in small gates and even through a door way.

joed
03-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Bill 8379

I'm from the Toronto area. The Metro 21" and Toro 21" are identical except for the fact that the toro has kickers under the deck that supposedly assist with mulching. The toro has beefier handles and different control system too. The exmark also has the old style height adjusters which apparently work better too. I've owned both and I'll have to say that the Metro cut better, mulched better and has more operator friendly. The last toro commercial I had was a non-BBC kawasaki powered version which left a terrible cut and uneven as well.

The prices you have been quoted seem high. Down here, the metro 21" non-BBC go for $1139 while the ones with the BBC go for about $1250. The toros are $1265 (non-BBC) and 1300 (BBC).

Stay away from the 26". I had one of the earlier versions and it was a nightmare.

Howard Roark
03-27-2008, 09:31 PM
The 32 quick is wider then my 36" Toro so I think I'll take a pass. I need to fit in small gates and even through a door way.

Is it really? I had no idea.

Understood.

Toro 21, not Exmark would be my choice.

bill8379
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Bill 8379

I'm from the Toronto area. The Metro 21" and Toro 21" are identical except for the fact that the toro has kickers under the deck that supposedly assist with mulching. The toro has beefier handles and different control system too. The exmark also has the old style height adjusters which apparently work better too. I've owned both and I'll have to say that the Metro cut better, mulched better and has more operator friendly. The last toro commercial I had was a non-BBC kawasaki powered version which left a terrible cut and uneven as well.

The prices you have been quoted seem high. Down here, the metro 21" non-BBC go for $1139 while the ones with the BBC go for about $1250. The toros are $1265 (non-BBC) and 1300 (BBC).

Stay away from the 26". I had one of the earlier versions and it was a nightmare.
I like to mulch though I do bag after spring clean ups and when stuff starts to drop from trees in the fall and I would rather bag then double cut any day.

Prices... I was quoted $1275 for 21" toro heavy duty, non BBC. (wpg. mb) but the dealer tried to steer me toward a PT21. He told me it was a commercial mower but after some research I find that it's just a supped up Super Recycler which is crap. I have one of them, it has kickers and mulches pretty good but just doesn't last.

I think I will err on the side of caution and go with the industry standard, a toro proline/heavy duty mower.

I like the idea of having a BBC option as well, it sure comes in handy with my toro 36. I can disengage the blades and idle it down while I do whatever.

Howard Roark
03-27-2008, 09:43 PM

Bill,

I just checked BOP's website and they have the 32 width at 34.5. How is this wider than the Toro 36?

Just wondering..?

bill8379
03-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Bill,

I just checked BOP's website and they have the 32 width at 34.5. How is this wider than the Toro 36?

Just wondering..?

They are 37.5 inches wide because the discharge chute doesn't fold back and out of the way. It adds 3 inches. While the toro only adds 1 inch to the 36" width.

A quick 32 with chute is 37.4 inches wide and a toro 36 is 37.1 inches wide. I can't even get my toro through most of my gates so I need a 21" and since my old one's are not true commercial and broken down I figured I go with a true commercial mower.

cgaengineer
03-27-2008, 10:07 PM
The Metro 26" is junk...dont buy it. They have not fixed anything with them...only made it worse because they keep telling people problems are fixed...the engine is the same 6hp engine which is not enough power. I would take my $1300 for the 26" and buy lottery tickets instead.

Frue
03-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I own both of these mowers and the toro def mulches better because of the kickers.

S man
06-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I own both of these mowers and the toro def mulches better because of the kickers.

My dealer said he can put the kickers on my metro 21 if I wanted him to. Should I do it??

Frue
06-15-2008, 10:38 PM
if you would like to mulch. The other thing is toro uses a different blade but it will fit on the metro. Just buy the metro its a good mower but I think the toro is better. I just sold my metro a bought another toro.

dishboy
06-16-2008, 08:43 AM
My dealer said he can put the kickers on my metro 21 if I wanted him to. Should I do it??

You only need one kicker at the 3:00 position, it will help with the grass trail and minimize packing the deck that the kickers cause. A little work with a angle grinder and a cutting disk to that deck and you have a mean mulcher. BBC is bad idea for mulching, you need all the room you can get under that deck near the center. Get the Toro blade also.

shepoutside
06-16-2008, 08:50 AM
1180/1265 are what I was quoted for mine. I love the toro a little more, and I mostly mulch. Bought mine near Hamilton.