PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Sulky for Cub 33" Walkbehind

SkyCaptain
03-27-2008, 06:41 PM
I made this from the wheels off of a Home Depot Wagon and a 2x12. It saved me from paying $300 for a Toro Sulky which I would have had to rig anyway because Cub Cadet don't make sulky's. Leave it to me to make a residential mower into a commercial.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/eyecheatyoulose/sulky.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/eyecheatyoulose/sulkyandmower.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/eyecheatyoulose/sulkychain.jpg

Jason Rose
03-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Best of luck... No offence, but that's pretty rough for a sulkey.

I had a 33" troybilt (essentially the same mower, just a little different look) that I tried to hook a single wheel velke too. Yes, it drug it around, but only on FLAT and HARD ground or concrete. The front was too light and the belt driven transmission was NOT designed for anything like that. Because there's no way to control each wheel independantly it's a lot tricky to turn 180 degrees at the end of a pass, right into the next pass.

Yes, maybe I'm too negative, but I call myself a realist.

Skimastr105
03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Good luck with that...

tb8100
03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
boy, don't slip and fall on one of those bolts sticking up...... ;)

esparzalandscaping
03-27-2008, 07:17 PM
hahaha oh man... this is great... good luck with that thing

I MOW ALONE
03-27-2008, 08:07 PM
we should take bets as to which one is going to fall apart first the sulky or the mower.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

bigclawn
03-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Heavy Duty All Right!

Skimastr105
03-27-2008, 08:23 PM
we should take bets as to which one is going to fall apart first the sulky or the mower.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was going to say that exact same thing!

lawns Etc
03-27-2008, 08:25 PM
When you polish a turdits still a turd

kjslawn
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I hope this is just for your home. If its is it may beat walking however you might run over yourself. Be carful A FOR EFFORT F for design

I MOW ALONE
03-27-2008, 08:41 PM
sad part is im betting that the mower breaks first :laugh:

TomberLawn
03-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey, SkyCaptain, how do you like that mower? I've got one just like it. It's really handy for properties that are larger than I want to tackle with a 21" but don't want to haul a trailer for my Ferris. From my experience with that mower, it looks like the sulky may be a little too far back from the handles, but I guess you tried it out and like how it is. I entertained the idea for about 2 seconds of putting a sulky on my Cub, but the yards I use it on are about too small to justify the extra hassle. I need a little exercise, too.

B Stove
03-27-2008, 08:50 PM
:nono::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DLCS
03-27-2008, 09:20 PM
I got one of the older versions of that mower. Its seen alot of use and I still use it a couple of times a week. Bought it in 2000. Stripes really nice. But, it will not handle a sulky, just not built strong enough for that type of use. Besides you can't steer it cause it uses a belt driven transaxle. You will like the mower alot better if you get rid of the sulky. If you want a sulky buy a commercial walkbehind.

SkyCaptain
03-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Buying a commercial walkbehind was not in the budget. My yard is the roughest terrain I've ever been on. It handles good with the sulky. It is set back far enough to allow for tight turns. Besides, all the yards on this area are golf course homes, I'm not cutting fields with the damn thing. Thanks for the negative feedback everyone.

SchultzLawnCare
03-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Mark this me as the first nice comment. If it works for your needs thats all that matters. If your happy with your set up great. But what I found out on this site is that there are people that dont care if they act like dicks. Maybe their equpiment is better, or maybe they are all talk. I know my equpiment is nice but the trailer and truck are UGLY! So if you dont want to feel bad i would post anything on this site. Thats just what i found out. But good luck with that skully and good luck this season.

Nick

bill8379
03-27-2008, 10:05 PM
http://image.ecplaza.net/offer/o/oright007/4856014.jpg

Skimastr105
03-27-2008, 10:25 PM
those are soooo bad. anybody got a big hill?

farmboy1285
03-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Hey if it works then great. I built a sit down sulky for my encore Wb out of a an old atv plow(without the plow part) and an old farmall tractor seat. I even painted It red to match the mower. I had mine for a year or so the I decided it would be better to have a stand on sulky. I had mine set up with an eye bolt on the mower and the sulky set up like a lawn tractor trailer. Thats what you should try because I bet It would be a way smoother ride. You could hammer out a piece of steel to act as the top or the hitch and just use a bolt as the hitch pin. Hope I haven't confused you to much with that description.

CFB
03-27-2008, 11:06 PM
I am ashamed to admit that I own a troybilt 33. By far the worst mower in the history of mowers as far as cut. I even tried sharpening the blades like razors. It does not pass as a decent mower but it passes enough for the few yards that I use it on. Embarrassed that I am so poor that I have to use it on a few of my lawns (No I am not a lowballer, PT lawncare, but I made some mistakes along the way) Almost got a metro 36" from a guy here at lawnsite, but he changed his mind so I am stuck with this peice as "tiny yard mower/gated back yard mower.

But the damn thing has held up since 1998 with two belt changes and 1 rebuilt carb. Still starts on the first pull. 8 horse tecumsah. This thing has a sick amount of hours because when I was a kid I used it exclusively. I didn't know what I was doing and didn't know how to get a mower for less than 5K.

If I have to bag leaves, I use it for that also.

Somebody get me a 36".

DLCS
03-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Like i said, I have used mine since 2000, not every day anymore but still a couple of times a week. Cuts very nice and lays a nice stripe. Just not made to pull a load.

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 07:11 AM
If that is wood I dont think its going to hold up to the impact. Try finding some steel plate to make the frame out of.

mowisme
03-28-2008, 08:54 AM
so you don't slam into underside of mower with tounge of sulky- make a bracket to put a trailer hitch ball on- then add a coupler for it onto the arm of sulky. lot less erratic movement. Yes..it works as I have done it. Geno ( I think they might make small ones for garden tractors- I used a reg size one 1-7/8".

bigclawn
03-28-2008, 10:29 AM
For KJ Bobcat Classic 36" from 2200 at the RE-POWER shop in Indpls i think thre is a web page hook up www.re-power.com

tb8100
03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
http://image.ecplaza.net/offer/o/oright007/4856014.jpg

LOL!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

GreenN'Clean
03-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Hill Billy heaven right there

lsu03
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
hope you have insurance....

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 01:47 PM

And to think, people always make fun of Georgians and Alabamans!!

herberg
03-28-2008, 01:48 PM
wow. I agree on the A for effort.

Gotta tell you though - this confirms my decision to buy a proper sulky for behind my metro.

That being said - i've thought of doing something like this since i got the metro. Only thing stopping me was the thought of being laughed at when i pul up to my accounts and stand on a 2x6 while charging them $60/hr

tamadrummer
03-28-2008, 01:58 PM

If you had ever been to LeCanto you wouldn't laugh. It really is pretty much country up there. Dirt roads and all!!

Although even here in Pasco Co. we have our fair share of dirt roads and hill whackers.......:hammerhead:

As far as that sulky goes, good job man. If it works for you, then so be it that is $250+ saved in the long run. I don't know if that mower will drag you around but if it does that is great!

kjslawn
03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
This is the best thread out here. This has made my day. Sorry for all the bashing but come on this is classic

All_Toro_4ME
03-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Couple of things I noticed. I think you did a fine job, but...you may need to reconsider how the sulky is mounted to the mower. Because you have some play in the chain, you aren't going to come to a smooth stop. It will jerk from the momentum from going forward. Also, you need some type of vertical wall on the front of it. Same principle applies. When you try to stop, it may throw you forward from the sulky if you are going any kind of a decent speed.

PEVO
03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Maybe you could install some razor sharp knives sticking out the side of the wheels of your "chariot" & go slay some unsuspecting moles that may poke their heads up! ARRRHHHH....This Is mowing....SPARTA STYLE......AAAARRRRHHHHH!!!!!!!

Dominicano
03-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Talking about negativity!! MAN, if is working for the guy more power to him!

IA_James
03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
No kiddin. I'd cut off the excess bolt you have where you've made attachments. I'd also wire or duct tape up the gate on that clevis, if you pop it the right way when the slack runs in you'll come undone.

jbannick18
03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Very unsafe, don't be cheap

Dominicano
03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Buying a commercial walkbehind was not in the budget. My yard is the roughest terrain I've ever been on. It handles good with the sulky. It is set back far enough to allow for tight turns. Besides, all the yards on this area are golf course homes, I'm not cutting fields with the damn thing. Thanks for the negative feedback everyone.

SkyCaptain, more power to you man! If this is working for you than keep it on there! Forget about the negativity and do what you do! I think it's a great idea.

topsites
03-28-2008, 04:26 PM
My main concern is safety...

as for contributing...
how about these new riding lawn mowers?

IA_James
03-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Ya know, this is BS. Pretty much every swinging dick on here bitches about people on welfare, how much their taxes are, deadbeat non working useless SOBSs, and everything else. Some guy comes on here just starting out, trying to make a buck without spending $10k on a new Z, and make his work a little easier. Then you guys make fun of him for it.

DLCS
03-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Ya know, this is BS. Pretty much every swinging dick on here bitches about people on welfare, how much their taxes are, deadbeat non working useless SOBSs, and everything else. Some guy comes on here just starting out, trying to make a buck without spending $10k on a new Z, and make his work a little easier. Then you guys make fun of him for it.

Not everyone was making fun of him. I own one of those mowers and like I have said it works well. I used it since 2000 and still use it. But like I told him, you can't pull a sulky with it. The transaxle will not last thats why MTD didn't make a sulky for it. I'd hate to see the guy tear up his new mower. The way he has it mounted will not even hold the frame is just too light. Before you call me a swinging dick and make a generalized statement about all of us. Maybe you should read this thread with a open mind. Besides most don't ***** about how much their taxes are on here. We ***** about the ones who do not pay them.

PEVO
03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm sorry but this is just too good to pass-up...what kids soapbox racer did you bust up for those parts??? Can you say GHETTO????? Seriously thou...Kudos to you for your project if it works for you...great. I just don't think it will last very long being kobbled together like it is. But looking at the design again,...you could morph it into a striper that you stand on. You may be on to something there!

SkyCaptain
03-28-2008, 07:37 PM
It pulls the sulky fine. No lag in power or speed. It's new so it is Hydro. As for the bolts, I mounted them from underneath so they would stick up. When I'm bouncing around in bad terrain it keeps my feet from rubbing the tires. It is a 2x12 pressure treated deck with a 2x4 underbrace. I worked construction many years so I'm sure I can build something to stand on that won't break. It was coated with spray on bed liner then six coats of rubberizer for grip. I didn't put a lip on the front just for the oh-**** factor. This way if something gives it won't pull me down, I can just step off of it. The slack in the chain is ok. When it takes off at full speed it stays pretty tight. Banging into the tranny will be an issue. So I am working on a brace or bumper guard for the tranny. A buddy of mine was also sarcastic about the mower today. This morning he bet me $100 it couldn't mow his back field, which was knee high weeds and a few plastic bottles. 2 acres I did in 20 min, mulched perfect the first pass, even the bottles disappeared, sort of. You guys can be sarcastic all you want. I was just sharing an idea I had. Ignorance is rampant no matter what type of crowd you stand in. After finding this community I see the infection spread to here too.
Thanks for the positive comments.

Jason Rose
03-28-2008, 07:40 PM
It's a hydro drive huh? Only "hydro" in it is the grease in the gearbox... That's a gear drive.

And if you did 2 ACRES in 20 minutes... wow. I can't do that on a 61" 27hp. ztr mowing at full speed.

This thread is just getting deeper and deeper... Ignorance is rampant alright!

JJS
03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
nice job, pay no attention to these guys , i built one myself when i started 22 years ago.
let me give you a hint though, it's get s a tad bit rigid and bumpy, the trick is low rider keep your step close to the ground...

GravelyNut
03-28-2008, 08:12 PM
It's a hydro drive huh? Only "hydro" in it is the grease in the gearbox... That's a gear drive.

And if you did 2 ACRES in 20 minutes... wow. I can't do that on a 61" 27hp. ztr mowing at full speed.

This thread is just getting deeper and deeper... Ignorance is rampant alright!
I'd like to see it do it that fast too. That would be a rate of 6 acres an hour . Ain't going to happen.

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I am sorry, I mowed 2 acres last Friday and it took me 2 hours. Based on my calculations (Very crude) you would have been mowing at about 10-12 mph. I am figuring my average speed at about 4 mph as the the lawn was very rough.

I think you were having so much fun that it felt like 20 minutes. My mower is 40" 17 hp hydro and I still had to double cut and when I finished the areas that I double cut looked like a$$...this grass wasnt quite knee high, but a good 18 inches of tall fescue...it clumped and nearly stalled my mower at one point.

S.A.L.
03-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Why won't it pull a sulky?
My cousin has the Craftsman version of that mower.
When he first got it he asked if I could find a sulky that would mount to the limited space offered on the back.
I ordered him Jungle Jim's version and mounted it up.
That was 3 seasons ago. Still going strong. He uses 4th gear exclusively. Hills and all.
The only things he's ever done on the mower is changed the deck belt, which started slipping after only 25 hours. He went to Autozone and picked up a quality automotive belt and that's it. Still no slip. Again; 3 seasons ago. Original drive belt still.
He paid $949 for the mower and $225 for the sulky.
He services 125 - 150 residential clients year-round.
It's been a good investment for him.
He does 180s fine too. They do require technique, though.

Best wishes. :usflag:

bare spot
03-28-2008, 11:19 PM
My main concern is safety...

as for contributing...
how about these new riding lawn mowers?
could save on gas with bike mower, where to put the trimmer rack.

TomberLawn
03-28-2008, 11:24 PM
SkyCaptain, you sure you didn't mean 2 acres in 2 hours? I own the same mower and it is physically impossible to cut more than an acre an hour with its width and speed. 33" at 4mph, minus overlap and turns. I'm not trying to be hard on you, just realistic.
I really love my Cub Cadet. For anybody who says it doesn't cut well, you should see the fescue in my front yard. I double cut it this afternoon and it looks like a checkerboard. These mowers are actually a lot better than most people think. Sure, a hydro drive would make it a little easier to handle, but the gears seem like a solid transmission. I think it could pull my weight, but it might lug the motor and make the front end too light with my 190 lbs on the back.
My dealer has sold 50 or more of these mowers and hasn't had any complaints. A lot of LCOs bought them for limited use on small properties, but a couple around here use them as primary machines. At half the cost of a Quick 32 (and a lot deeper deck) it is a tremendous value.

DLCS
03-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Like I said mine cuts well and leaves a nice stripe. But it has its limitations. Its not a hydro drive, its gear driven. 2 acres in 2 hrs is even a stetch.

lawnkingforever
03-29-2008, 02:02 AM
I also have this mower, and it has served its' purpose. It is a backup to my larger WB and I use it for a couple of gated yards. For the price, it is one of the better values out there. I have to agree with the last post, it is a much better value than buying a Quick 32. My friend just bought the Craftsman version for his smaller yards, where his ZT won't fit. I used mine all last season, and never had a problem. I am glad to here other people have had good luck with this mower.

kleankutslawn
03-29-2008, 04:31 AM
if you like it i love it.But i want to place a bet on cutting 2 knee high acres in 20 min with 33 inch wb

kjslawn
03-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Thats a gear drive, hint the gear lever, hint gear box

thegreensideup
03-29-2008, 09:15 AM
What is the overall width of this mower? Also what is the highest setting for the cutting height (I know their website says 1.25" - 3.5", but wanted to double check with someone who actually owns one)? The reason I ask is Sears (Craftsman Club) has the same model, less the electric start, for $999.00 through April 6th.

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
How can you back up on that thing?

ALC-GregH
03-29-2008, 09:43 AM
it's tricky.... :)

lawnkingforever
03-29-2008, 12:16 PM
The width is about 35", mine has fit through all of the gates on my yards. I would just get the Sears model. The Cub has electric start and an hour meter, but is priced around 1150$. I have 1 development where I have 7 postage stamp yards. The 48" WB is a little too big and to cut them all with my 20'' would not be very productive. This mower comes in handy for these types of yards.

njohnston33
03-29-2008, 01:21 PM
hope you have good insurance...

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I think you were having so much fun that it felt like 20 minutes.

ROFL!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Turf Commando
03-29-2008, 01:53 PM
I think you have creative ideas, just not pratical ! I think you could make it go with some upgrades. I would suggest you contact someone with some engineer skills ...

RM n WS
03-29-2008, 07:04 PM
I give you a thumbs up for trying but I want to tell you what happened to me. I was using a 48" hustler hydro with a velke. I was going down a hill and I mean moving. There was a railroad tie that had slipped out of a bank about 1 inch and I didn't see it. I hit it so hard it threw me over the handle and onto the motor. Thank god I lived to tell the story. The mowers safety features cut it off before I got hurt. Be careful man a mower can kill you and you'll be just a spot in the newspaper.

bigclawn
03-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Boy this thread got wayyyyyyyyy off the original topic!!!!!!!!!!Let it die!

cgaengineer
03-29-2008, 07:16 PM
I got to thinking, the OP did say knee high grass...wonder if he is a midget or if he is just really short? Maybe he is knee high to a grasshopper?

SkyCaptain
03-29-2008, 08:35 PM
As a matter of fact I AM a midget! JK. Atleast this thread gives people something to look forward to.
Yes I do have good insurance but do you think I can't work a mower. I did it for six years in Fla, which means a 10 month season p.y.
Now, let the idiots harp on me saying 10 months. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

KrayzKajun
03-29-2008, 08:57 PM
how do you like the cub cadet????

TomberLawn
03-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Since there are a few fellow Cub owners on here, I thought I'd ask this question: Has anybody changed the pulley on the transaxle to get more speed? I wouldn't do it until the warranty runs out (like it isn't already void from being used commercially, but anyway). I think 1st and 2nd are way too slow for anything, 3rd and 4th are decent mowing speeds, but I'd like a transport gear. I was wondering if a smaller pulley on the transaxle would speed it up to where 2nd would be a good "trim" speed, 3rd would be a good mowing speed, and 4th would get me back to the truck faster, or even mow in light grass. Just a thought. I've built a racing mower that was clocked at 42mph in 4th gear (with a 5 speed tranny--I ran out of open field before I ran out of throttle and gears), just from changing pulleys, so I know some gains can be made this way.

cgaengineer
03-30-2008, 01:17 AM
As a matter of fact I AM a midget! JK. Atleast this thread gives people something to look forward to.
Yes I do have good insurance but do you think I can't work a mower. I did it for six years in Fla, which means a 10 month season p.y.
Now, let the idiots harp on me saying 10 months. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Sky, I looked at that Cub at Home Depot today...it looked like a decent mower for the price.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Has anybody changed the pulley on the transaxle to get more speed?

I did it to my 36" Toro T-Bar last year. Minor downsizing. Took me from 6.2mph to 7.75. Actually made a really big difference.

SkyCaptain
04-11-2008, 01:57 PM
It is a decent mower. My only complaints are the lack of bearings. The front wheels have grease nipples but no real bearings, just sleeves. They can be replaced be same size wheels with bearings for about $12 each. All in all it's working out great, St. Augustine you have to raise the deck up pretty high. It mulches nice, no complaints there. The front end is a little lite. Going up ditch embankments I have to walk it up, it wants to pop wheelies. But I'm having fun on it. Plus it's good on gas. I cut in 3rd gear a lot and I'll go through a 2 gal. tank in a little over 5 hours. Not bad for seven bucks of gas.

TomberLawn
04-11-2008, 07:43 PM
I put mine to the test one day this week, hitting 3 of the yards I bought it for in one afternoon after school. It got done a lot faster than the 21", but I must admit, it doesn't handle quite as easily. These things are really good on gas. I filled it up before leaving home and have mowed 4 yards, putting probably about 2.5-3 hours on it and the gas level has dropped maybe 1-1.5 inches. I did pull the mulch plug out today, because I was in some really thick clover. I enjoy using this mower, but I look forward to being able to justify and afford a hydro walk behind in 2-3 years.

Lawns For Less
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
This setup has worked good for me, but I've only put 82 hours on the mower so far. It's just a stepping stone while I'm growing my business, now looking for a zero turn. I have a Shindaiwa backpack blower(EB802), trimmer(T242), and edger(LE242). My truck's an 07 ex. cab 1500 Z71(new body style), small landscaping trailer, 2 dump trailers(1 big and 1 small).
http://i43.tinypic.com/2d1k0b8.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/11bqm89.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/24nno0y.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2qimg6p.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/160bupc.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/121bdx5.jpg

flatlander42
09-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Bump.......

cgaengineer
09-24-2010, 09:58 PM
I knew you couldn't resist. The temptation was just too much, thanks for finding it for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grass Shark
09-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I did it to my 36" Toro T-Bar last year. Minor downsizing. Took me from 6.2mph to 7.75. Actually made a really big difference.

I'm NOT being sarcastic.... how did you measure this?

Grass Shark
09-24-2010, 10:54 PM
This morning he bet me $100 it couldn't mow his back field, which was knee high weeds and a few plastic bottles. 2 acres I did in 20 min, mulched perfect the first pass, even the bottles disappeared, sort of.

If this is true.... STOP what you are doing right now and come to Jersey with your mower, I will pay you A LOT of money to work for me.

Southern Pride
09-24-2010, 10:54 PM
I think it's awesome. Not the best design ever but you really need to nail a front board and small top board (like conventional sulky design) so you're feet don't slip infront of that thing while you're booking it....I dunno how long it will last with that design but you are now riding and saved $300. Don't listen to all the tight a$$ haters on here, but I would put that front plate on for sure!

Jason Rose
09-24-2010, 11:03 PM
3 year old thread... why did this get bumped back to the top? just for the HUMOR factor??? It's not winter yet, are you guys bored already?