PDA

View Full Version : Losing My Business Phone Number!

Chris J
03-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I've got a dilemma. When I move, the phone company (AT&T) is telling me that I can't keep my same phone numbers. Although I'm moving within the same city, it is a different zip code. The only choice they are offering me is to buy my current business number as a voice mail only line.
I dread the thought of having to redo business cards, contracts, website, and all other print materials. Not to mention all the current advertising that is floating around that will potentially turn into new customers.
Anybody got any advice? I really don't want to have to change my phone number, but it looks like this is going to be my only choice.

Pro-Scapes
03-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I've got a dilemma. When I move, the phone company (AT&T) is telling me that I can't keep my same phone numbers. Although I'm moving within the same city, it is a different zip code. The only choice they are offering me is to buy my current business number as a voice mail only line.
I dread the thought of having to redo business cards, contracts, website, and all other print materials. Not to mention all the current advertising that is floating around that will potentially turn into new customers.
Anybody got any advice? I really don't want to have to change my phone number, but it looks like this is going to be my only choice.

You can prolly keep the number for about 30 a month and do call forwarding even tho the old number will not physically exist at a location. My friends when they closed thier nursery wanted to keep the number for the landscape business so they pay per month for the number and its automatically forwarded to his new phone.

ncls
03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Switch to Vonage. VOIP. You can take the number anywhere.

Desertdweller
03-27-2008, 09:01 PM
We have 4 different numbers in multiple zips and just have them forwarded to one line. It shouldn't be a problem.

M&MLawn
03-27-2008, 10:14 PM
I second the vonage line. You can then keep your same number and not have to worry about this again.

herberg
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
if you can - transfer it to a cellphone. This way you'll be the fastest one back to return calls, and will always have the option of answering your business line no matter where you are.

many carriers also have either unlimited minutes or unlimited incoming minutes.

plus - it's a deduction.

and think - you could get a smart phone so you'd be able to keep up to the minute with all the new posts on lawnsite....:cool2:

Chris J
03-27-2008, 10:28 PM
I'll check into Vonage, but unless I misunderstood them they said I couldn't even have the number forwarded because of the different zones and such. They mentioned something about "exchanges" which is the first three numbers of the phone number. I remembered I had a customer who's a big boy at AT&T so I gave him a call. He's looking into it and gonna let me know tomorrow what the ins and outs are.

irrig8r
03-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Just keep it and either go straight to voice mail or have it remote call forwarded to another number.

David Gretzmier
03-28-2008, 01:40 AM
forward the number to a live answering service in your area. It'll cost you around 100 bucks a month, or maybe more if you have heavy volume. It is like having a secretary, and they can text you the message on your cell.

I'm not in florida, but My old lawncare company number has flipped around 2 or 3 zip codes and they let them keep it.

Flow Control
03-28-2008, 01:56 AM
forward the number to a live answering service in your area. It'll cost you around 100 bucks a month,

Ours approach 2k a month during peak times. I could not image my stress level though if we didn't use them.

I am a fan of answering services, but it took us a few different companies before we found a good one.

Stillwater
03-28-2008, 05:23 AM
I'll check into Vonage, but unless I misunderstood them they said I couldn't even have the number forwarded because of the different zones and such. They mentioned something about "exchanges" which is the first three numbers of the phone number. I remembered I had a customer who's a big boy at AT&T so I gave him a call. He's looking into it and gonna let me know tomorrow what the ins and outs are.

You are actually are going to take that advice and check vonage out for a business line? OMG:laugh:

I give up

MarcSmith
03-28-2008, 08:03 AM
explore every option....changing to a cell phone is fine. and even vonage. heck all it is using high speed internet to route your calls. So again, you can take it any where if you move again. I will say that I have cable internet for 4 years now, and its never been down.

You customer is not going to know that you have vonage, ATT or Cell phone. IMO its not a big deal. LIke you said, change the phone number has bigger problems...

Stillwater
03-28-2008, 09:51 AM
explore every option....changing to a cell phone is fine. and even vonage. heck all it is using high speed internet to route your calls. So again, you can take it any where if you move again. I will say that I have cable internet for 4 years now, and its never been down.

You customer is not going to know that you have vonage, ATT or Cell phone. IMO its not a big deal. LIke you said, change the phone number has bigger problems...

NOT EVERY phone can connect to Vonage

M&MLawn
03-28-2008, 09:52 AM
What I do with vonage is our business line comes into our office through vonage but it also simultaneously rings my cell phone so if I am out I can decide to answer it or let it go to the office voicemail.

MarcSmith
03-28-2008, 10:10 AM
NOT EVERY phone can connect to Vonage

can you shed anymore light on this fact?

I have never heard this....Not trying to be a Smart A....

Pro-Scapes
03-28-2008, 10:57 AM

as long as you still own your number you will be able to have it forwarded to any phone. My dad used to spend winters down in key west and had his home phone in chicago forwarded to his condo there.

Chris J
03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
All is well now. My customer (the AT&T executive) called me this morning and told me he took care of everything for me. I'll be getting a new phone number, but the old one will be remote forwarded to the new line (at no extra charge). It's good to know people. If I had listened to that "customer no-service" rep, I would be in a real bind right now.
Thanks for all the feed back guys. If nothing else, I learned a bit about phone lines in the last 24 hours.

The Lighting Geek
03-28-2008, 06:32 PM
There is no problem this board can't help with!! OK, now about my cat...

Mark B
03-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Even thought it seems alittle late. I just got a Iphone last night. When I was in the process of porting my cell# over there was a thingy if this was a home # click here. I didn't know that you could change your home to your cell# my .02

David Gretzmier
03-29-2008, 05:30 PM
a follow up on the other post about an answering service- the company here charges 35 cents per message taken, no charge for hang ups or wrong numbers. so even around Christmas season at around 300 messages a month, it is 100 bucks for us. so to be 2 grand a month we'd have to log 6000 messages, or 200 per day. I suppose it is possible , since that is only a phone call every 2 minutes or so. I'd gladly pay for that volume, but I've have to get 2 employees just to return the messages.