PDA

View Full Version : Autocad???

MOWEMJEFF
03-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Does anyone use this? And if so did you take a course in it? Im debating whether or not to take it this summer, its not required for my hort degree but I've been told it's worth taking......

PaperCutter
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I use it every day. If the price and time aren't an issue, take the class. Everyone whines about the learning curve, but if you jump in and start using it it's a great, powerful tool.

EagleLandscape
03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Yes, it's definitely worth taking. I did not take a class in it, I just started playing around with it and picked it up. But I've heard the class can be useful.

jbailey52
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
You should deff. learn it. Here is a photomontage of a design we just finished. I used autocad and photoshop.

p.s. the landscaping is only representational.... not the actual plant schedule.

jbailey52
03-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Opps... forgot to attach it.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/bailey52/renderingPDFcopy.jpg

procut
03-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Its definatly worth taking, IMO.

N.H.BOY
03-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Im taking the course right now at the Concord(nh) tech. Im taking 3d cadd this semester:dizzy:

MOWEMJEFF
03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Ya I'm leaning towards taking it, autocad2d two nights a week for 8 weeks and i can buy the program as a student for $170 if your registered in the class.

theguynextdoor
03-28-2008, 02:59 AM
I think I'll learn how to use that for landscaping. I can get it for free through the University at Buffalo where I go to college. I also have some experience with it from a class I took in highschool.

TPS
03-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Honestly if you can get the program you probly wont need the class. I went to college and then a trade school for CAD. Once you start using it you can pick up the extras pretty easy. It has a good help guide and depending on what year you get a lot of the commands you could just type in. May want to start with an older version like 2000 or 2004 to learn.

AGLA
03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Autocad student versions are now protecting Autocad. It will corrupt files so that they will print with writing identifying it as a student version not for commercial even if you open it up later on a legit version. Autocad is known as very thorough on proscuting people who use noncommercial for commercial. It is not worth the risk.

Intellicad is a very good alternative almost as cheap as a student version of Acad. It is marketed by several companies that are licensed to developand sell it. Accelicad, Progecad, are a couple. It is an autocad clone that uses the dwg format and mostly the same commands.

MOWEMJEFF
03-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Autocad student versions are now protecting Autocad. It will corrupt files so that they will print with writing identifying it as a student version not for commercial even if you open it up later on a legit version. Autocad is known as very thorough on proscuting people who use noncommercial for commercial. It is not worth the risk.

Intellicad is a very good alternative almost as cheap as a student version of Acad. It is marketed by several companies that are licensed to developand sell it. Accelicad, Progecad, are a couple. It is an autocad clone that uses the dwg format and mostly the same commands.

Well thats good to know. The program normally cost over a $1000 though doesn't it? I've been told that so long as you are printing straight from the program and not a saved copy it won't print out letters.

TPS
03-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I think its a bit more the a $1000. Thats why I suggested maybe an older version to learn on. Some of the more advanced programs run upwards of 4K. Good luck.

MOWEMJEFF
03-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I think its a bit more the a $1000. Thats why I suggested maybe an older version to learn on. Some of the more advanced programs run upwards of 4K. Good luck.

Upwards of 4k wow....I said over a $1000 but wasn't thinking over BY thousands.

jbailey52
03-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Im not sure since it was a long time ago I bought the prog. But I dont believe its anywhere near $4,000 but I could be wrong... Thought I saw it for 800.. anyway, I took it for 3 semesters in college, and used if for designs and projects everyday, and still couldnt learn everything and I am still learning.. I highly recomend a class to get the basics down... there are soooo many things to learn I think it is a good idea to get a good foundation

AGLA
03-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't have first hand experience with student versions since Acad 12 that I had when I was in school. I use Acad Lt 2008 that I bought for $900 in my home office and Acad LDD 2007 at my full time job ($7k a seat, I believe).

MOWEMJEFF
03-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Im not sure since it was a long time ago I bought the prog. But I dont believe its anywhere near $4,000 but I could be wrong... Thought I saw it for 800.. anyway, I took it for 3 semesters in college, and used if for designs and projects everyday, and still couldnt learn everything and I am still learning.. I highly recomend a class to get the basics down... there are soooo many things to learn I think it is a good idea to get a good foundation

Ya I was told the version we get sells for $1400...I agree that taking the intro class will make the learning curve much better in the long run so I'm trying to get into it. Problem is I'm running out of money to afford a class, book, and the program. Only one billable storm in march so far and plenty of money going out in preperation for the upcoming mowing season so i'll be tightening the belt here pretty quick.

GreenT
03-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Has anyone here ever tried Google SkechtUp?

PaperCutter
03-29-2008, 08:59 AM
I use SketchUp all the time for 3D stuff, but it's not an efficient 2d drafting program. I believe that to print to scale you need Layout, which only comes with the Pro version, so if you're already spending $500...

GreenT
03-29-2008, 11:18 AM
I use SketchUp all the time for 3D stuff, but it's not an efficient 2d drafting program. I believe that to print to scale you need Layout, which only comes with the Pro version, so if you're already spending $500...

Yes, but it is nonetheless a great (free) little program to do 3D stuff. I've seen some amazing renderings done with it.

I've sold projects just based on the camera/animation feature alone.

Can AutoCad do 3D contoured surfaces, something like flower beds on berms?

jbailey52
03-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Ive used sketchup before.. i dont know how I like it though.. I found it kind of childish... I dont know if that explains what I mean, but it didnt have enough meat and bones for me personally.. very 'clipartish' looking to me.. The rendering I posted, I did the 3d in AutoCad and custom montaged all of the textures, the grill for example is a picture of a real grill... Hard to do with sketchup

Grass Happens
03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm almost finished with an autocad class right now. Well its technically Eaglepoint's Landcadd, but it runs off of autocad. I'm told other versions will also run off of different cad platforms(brickscad was one of them), and older versions we're stand alone.
But yea, two fellow students bought the discounted student version, and in big ole' letters it says "Student Edition".
I did find the class very informative, and am much better with CAD then I am hand drawing stuff, so hopefully I can manage to get a hold of a full version for home use in the future.

GreenT
03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Ive used sketchup before.. i dont know how I like it though.. I found it kind of childish... I dont know if that explains what I mean, but it didnt have enough meat and bones for me personally.. very 'clipartish' looking to me.. The rendering I posted, I did the 3d in AutoCad and custom montaged all of the textures, the grill for example is a picture of a real grill... Hard to do with sketchup

It improves daily. Here's a site with some decent samples:

http://www.gardendesignpro.co.uk/acatalog/buy_garden_design_software.html