PDA

View Full Version : Best Attatchmet Trimmer

4 seasons lawn&land
03-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I need to pick up a Blower and a Multi tool trimmer tommorrow. Im wondering which to get. I want one that can be an edger, trimmer, broom, pruner, hedge clipper, all that stuff. I also want to get one that is a large horse motor for brush cutting. thanks for your suggestions.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-27-2008, 10:33 PM
anyone run redmax w/attatchments?

yungman
03-27-2008, 10:51 PM
If you want big motor, There are only two brand that offer over 30cc. Maruyama

http://www.maruyama-us.com/products/default.aspx?id=324

and Stihl KM130.

Both don't have short reach hedge clipper attachments. Maruyama has five years commercial warrante. Problem is finding a dealer. I am not going to say anymore about 4Mix.

Echo Pro attachment series has most of the attachments but only 25.4cc.

Hey Happy Frog, where are you. You can tell him your experience.

Others are even smaller.

brownsallseasonlandscape
03-27-2008, 10:56 PM
The sthil KM130 is the only way to go.

BentleyOutdoors
03-27-2008, 10:58 PM
:usflag:I have used the echo and it worked well for what it was but i wouldnt waste money on the attachment series. They are hard to store and it takes time to switch out heads. It costs more money for each unit but it its well worth it in the long run. But to each its own.:usflag:

4 seasons lawn&land
03-27-2008, 11:25 PM
what about the stihl FS 250 series?, even bigger and has all the Kombi attatchments

yungman
03-28-2008, 12:02 AM
what about the stihl FS 250 series?, even bigger and has all the Kombi attatchments

No they don't. In fact FS250 have less option. It just a big mama!!

Watch out the cost of all the attachments. They can really add up and they are heavier too. You also have to be careful not to get dirt into the joint openings when you change attachments. I like individual tool, but that's just me.

Happy Frog
03-28-2008, 12:15 AM
I use two Echo PAS-265 and I have most of the attachments.
They have plenty of power for me and at the end, it is much cheaper than buying complete units for everything.
Also, if you have problems with a power head, it takes but just a minute to change it.
I would not recommend having only one power head. Two or three is better so you actually do not swap attachment very often.
Don't forget to use 89 octane (or better). Lower octane rating will not give you as much power in Echo equipment.

yungman
03-28-2008, 01:08 AM
I use two Echo PAS-265 and I have most of the attachments.
They have plenty of power for me and at the end, it is much cheaper than buying complete units for everything.
Also, if you have problems with a power head, it takes but just a minute to change it.
I would not recommend having only one power head. Two or three is better so you actually do not swap attachment very often.
Don't forget to use 89 octane (or better). Lower octane rating will not give you as much power in Echo equipment.

See I know you'll come through!!!!:waving::waving:

Does Echo have 28cc PAS? I don't see it on the web.

sweetz
03-28-2008, 01:30 AM

No....

But, IMHO ECHO is a very good brand. I have a handful of ECHO edgers, line & hedge trimmers & blowers. Their blowers, IMHO suck. I like STIHL, but their edgers, etc don't even compare to ECHO. I also have a STIHL KM130 & for power I love it!!! But for weight distribution, etc i HATE it!!! Accessory attachments are great for backup equiptment or for things that you don't use to often, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I started with nothing but ECHO trimmers & edgers (all PAS), an MTD 21" & an ECHO blower!!!:usflag:

S man
03-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Another split shaft thread. My advice buy everything separate. It will be better in the long run.

Happy Frog
03-28-2008, 03:28 AM

No but if one of my PAS-265 fails, I'll just put a 280 engine on the shaft... :)

yungman
03-28-2008, 03:51 AM
No but if one of my PAS-265 fails, I'll just put a 280 engine on the shaft... :)

It'll be a long time!!!

I really wish Echo come out with the short reach articulate hedge trimmer. I don't think you can control a long reach very well for detail cutting. I like the power broom, the one like a round brush. It will be very useful to scrub the front and back porch and the driveway. I just bought a Mantis with de-thatcher, Only PAS system have this attachment.

BTW, your suggestion of using a rake to de-thatch, I tried one patch, NO!!!!

:waving:

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 07:55 AM
KM130 for sure...I have one and love it. Plenty of power to run just about anything you put on the end of it.

Atlantic Lawn
03-28-2008, 07:55 AM
I've always thought that dedicated piece of equipment is the best way to go if you can afford it.

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 08:58 AM
I've always thought that dedicated piece of equipment is the best way to go if you can afford it.

Dedicated is great, but have you actually tried a Kombi system? I think if you tried it you would be very happy with its performance and ease of use. I purchased it originally for home use, but then upgraded to the more powerful KM130 unit so now I have a backup powerhead. I can go from trimming to edging in the time it takes you to take your edger out of the rack all without stopping the engine.

To each his own I guess...

larryinalabama
03-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I know i will catch heck but here it goes, I have a decitated Shindawia string trimmer. I was looking for a multable use tool. Well I bought the Troy Built at Lowes. It works fine and has alot of avaible attachments, its all stuff I rearly use so I just didnt want to invest the big bucks for stuff I moght use 1 time per month. I do wisy it has an avable pole extension but I thing only Sthil offers that.

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 09:35 AM
I know i will catch heck but here it goes, I have a decitated Shindawia string trimmer. I was looking for a multable use tool. Well I bought the Troy Built at Lowes. It works fine and has alot of avaible attachments, its all stuff I rearly use so I just didnt want to invest the big bucks for stuff I moght use 1 time per month. I do wisy it has an avable pole extension but I thing only Sthil offers that.

Yes the Stihl does have an extension.

larryinalabama
03-28-2008, 09:40 AM
cga have you been to powertradus lately? I havent seen very many ebay listings from them.

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
cga have you been to powertradus lately? I havent seen very many ebay listings from them.

I have not Larry, but I will tell you they have a lot more stuff in warehouse for sale then they could ever think about listing on eBay or Craigslist. They were also in the process of moving to another location with more room when I last visited.

yungman
03-28-2008, 11:31 AM

I have the Troy Bilt TB475 multi tool unit, I never bought other attachments. I put some heavy use on the unit for a few years. I have since bought a Honda HHT31SUNBA 31cc bike handle trimmer. It is definitely a big improvement from the Troy Bilt TB475.....Mainly it is longer so it is a lot more comfortable to use. The head is much better than the Troy Bilt. BUT, I am surprised the engine of Troy Bilt really held it's own. It is louder but it still feel strong enough even facing the bigger Honda. I still use the Troy Bilt to do the dusty work. The Honda is a lot quieter, the sound of the trimmer head spinning is as loud as the engine. Always one pull start.

For less than half the price, I would say the Troy Bilt really held it's own. I don't think just because it is MTD, it must be bad.

larryinalabama
03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Ok 2 Troy Builts

S man
03-28-2008, 02:05 PM
There's a stihl km85r combo unit for sale on ebay. Comes with the trimmer and pole pruner. I was bidding on for some strange reason. Somebody go and outbid me so I don't have to buy it.:dizzy:

yungman
03-28-2008, 03:06 PM
There's a stihl km85r combo unit for sale on ebay. Comes with the trimmer and pole pruner. I was bidding on for some strange reason. Somebody go and outbid me so I don't have to buy it.:dizzy:

You are bad!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hope you get it.:waving:

4 seasons lawn&land
03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Are the stihl multi tools 4 strokes?

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Are the stihl multi tools 4 strokes?

I think they only have one 2 stroke left and its the home owner model which I have along with the KM130 which is 4 stroke.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-28-2008, 04:43 PM
I think they only have one 2 stroke left and its the home owner model which I have along with the KM130 which is 4 stroke.

which do you prefer?

cgaengineer
03-28-2008, 04:51 PM
which do you prefer?

The KM130 of course! Its like a difference between a 4 cylinder and a V8!

Just Mow
03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
The KM130 is an awesome machine. Nobody makes one with the power and torque of this beast.

sweetz
03-31-2008, 08:54 PM
The KM130 is an awesome machine. Nobody makes one with the power and torque of this beast.

The KM130 is an awesome machine, it's got ALOT of power! That's why I bought it, but that's also one of the reasons I wouldn't like using it all of the time for an edger or a line trimmer (I already tried that route with this machine), it's just too heavy, IMHO. But, that is not what it's meant to do all of the time, it is meant to be used when you need a POWERFUL tool to do some hedge trimming, tree pruning, etc, IMHO. So, yes in my opinion it is an awesome machine, just not one to use all of the time, IMHO. Hope that was helpful. :cool2:

Sammy
03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
I use the Stihl w/attachments.

sweetz
03-31-2008, 11:50 PM
Quality Is Good !

Quality is what we have to strive for in this business!!!

sweetz
03-31-2008, 11:51 PM
I need to pick up a Blower and a Multi tool trimmer tommorrow. Im wondering which to get. I want one that can be an edger, trimmer, broom, pruner, hedge clipper, all that stuff. I also want to get one that is a large horse motor for brush cutting. thanks for your suggestions.

So, have you bought anything yet?

yungman
04-01-2008, 12:33 PM

Hey Happy Frog, I was searching on Alamia site and ran across this. Looks like a short reach articulate hedge clipper attachment for PAS series. Is this true? I went onto the Echo site and can't find the part number, but their site is not up to date at all. This is what I am looking for. You know anything?

BTW, I fixed my Echo HC-151. Turn out the main problem of not cutting well was due to the grease mix with dirt that got dry up and stuck between the blades causing all the problem. I end up have to take the gearbox apart to separate the blades and scrape the crap out individually with a metal puddy knife. It work better now than even when I first bought it. It must have sat in the store for a long time and the grease was drying up when I bought it. :waving:

Happy Frog
04-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey Happy Frog, I was searching on Alamia site and ran across this. Looks like a short reach articulate hedge clipper attachment for PAS series. Is this true? I went onto the Echo site and can't find the part number, but their site is not up to date at all. This is what I am looking for. You know anything?

BTW, I fixed my Echo HC-151. Turn out the main problem of not cutting well was due to the grease mix with dirt that got dry up and stuck between the blades causing all the problem. I end up have to take the gearbox apart to separate the blades and scrape the crap out individually with a metal puddy knife. It work better now than even when I first bought it. It must have sat in the store for a long time and the grease was drying up when I bought it. :waving:

Spray some Break-Free on your blades (and other cutting tools). It will clean, lubricate (dry film) and protect from corrosion without leaving a greasy film which can attract dirt and other contaminants. You can find did at most gun dealers and it works just great.

Regarding the Echo attachment, I believe that what you are referring to is the Hedge clipper attachment for the power pruners. It is just a tool head you can mount at the end of the power pruner shaft (replacing the power pruner tool head). You would need a flex shaft assembly to mount it on a PAS.
A simpler way to get what you want is the buy the HCA attachment and cut the flex shaft assembly to the length you want. Drill a hole for the quick connect in the flex shaft tube... et voila... :cool2:

yungman
04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Spray some Break-Free on your blades (and other cutting tools). It will clean, lubricate (dry film) and protect from corrosion without leaving a greasy film which can attract dirt and other contaminants. You can find did at most gun dealers and it works just great.

Regarding the Echo attachment, I believe that what you are referring to is the Hedge clipper attachment for the power pruners. It is just a tool head you can mount at the end of the power pruner shaft (replacing the power pruner tool head). You would need a flex shaft assembly to mount it on a PAS.
A simpler way to get what you want is the buy the HCA attachment and cut the flex shaft assembly to the length you want. Drill a hole for the quick connect in the flex shaft tube... et voila... :cool2:

I forgot to put the link. It is under the PAS system and Echo site don't show the part number.....meaning it must be new. Just like they don't show the PAS that you bought. If you have the long reach only as in your listing, you can use one too.

http://www.alamia.com/index.asp?PG=50&ID=71&EM=1

What!!! you are into guns too. Then you are in the right state!! I know Break Free. I was into guns and gun smithing. It just got boring after shoot a paper target for a few years!!!:waving:

BTW PAS is only one letter from POS!!!!....................JUST KIDDING..............APRIL'S FOOL!!!!!

Happy Frog
04-01-2008, 02:31 PM
If the attachment you are talking about is the ECH-999464-00060, it is just a tool head and will need to be mounted on a shaft assembly.
The one I have is the HCA attachment (ECH-999442-00590)

yungman
04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
If the attachment you are talking about is the ECH-999464-00060, it is just a tool head and will need to be mounted on a shaft assembly.
The one I have is the HCA attachment (ECH-999442-00590)

Yes that's the one. Too bad.