PDA

View Full Version : Title for trailers

stevenf
03-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I found a 4x8ft trailer someone is selling for $30.00. I would like to fix it up, put 2ft walls on it and use it for mulch and cleanup jobs.
They dont have any papers for it.
question: Could I get a title for it without haveing any past information about it? How do these things work?

ghfire
03-27-2008, 10:36 PM
I live in st. louis and had this same issue come up. All I did was get a homemade trailer title for it. Contact your dept of revenue and see how you can get this done. It only ran me about 50 bucks.

BentleyOutdoors
03-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Move to KY and you dont need Titles or License tags for trailers...haha got to love KY

stevenf
03-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I live in st. louis and had this same issue come up. All I did was get a homemade trailer title for it. Contact your dept of revenue and see how you can get this done. It only ran me about 50 bucks.

Did you mention it was homemade or did they suggest you do so when you explained the story?
They didnt ask for receipes for the materials you built it with?

Runner
03-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Here in Michigan, you take it to get it weighed. This can be done at a salvage yard or a place like an aggregate place...as long as it has certified scales. After that, you take that to the secretary of state and apply for either a lost title, or a new assembled title. They give you a temporary and the actual one is mailed to you. Even with the temporary, you can get a registration for it, They just changed it here in Michigan a few years ago, because now, you only purchase one registration, and it is a permanent one...there is no renewal. This works out well worth it if you are keeping your trailer for a number of years.

kleankutslawn
03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Here in Michigan, you take it to get it weighed. This can be done at a salvage yard or a place like an aggregate place...as long as it has certified scales. After that, you take that to the secretary of state and apply for either a lost title, or a new assembled title. They give you a temporary and the actual one is mailed to you. Even with the temporary, you can get a registration for it, They just changed it here in Michigan a few years ago, because now, you only purchase one registration, and it is a permanent one...there is no renewal. This works out well worth it if you are keeping your trailer for a number of years.

thats pretty much the same process as here in Fl.